What's new

T-129 Atak & Turkish Attack Helicopter Programs

Yes, it can carry 16 ATGMs, so typical payload could be 2 A-A missiles, 16 ATGMs and 30mm main gun. Or it can carry 8 ATGMs as well as 4 smart loitering ammunition systems(like Roketsan Alpagut). The design specs for the helicopter say that it will have a maximum load capacity of 1500kg. The total maximum take-off weight is 11.5 tonnes. This puts it at the top of the list of heavy attack helicopters currently in existence or under development. For example, the specs given for the AH-64E/F are 10.5 tonnes maximum take-off weight and approximately 1 tonne payload.

However, the ATAK-II platform will have quite unusual approaches too. There will be some missile types that will be developed specifically for this platform. Here, we can probably talk about drone-like loitering ammunition groups. In other words, we are talking more about BLOS and long-range engagement capabilities. It would be more useful to think of the helicopter as a part of the tactical network and one of the layers of network-centred warfare, rather than as an isolated system in the combat environment. For example, In modern warfare conditions, drone-assisted combat concepts have become an important field of study. Attack helicopters will also start to use the advantages of this.
I think the 16 ATGM thing is an outdated cold war concept. If it carried a single Çakır missile it would be much more helpful.

And maybe a couple of Kuzgun-KY missiles for closer engagements.

I think the 16 ATGM thing is an outdated cold war concept. If it carried a single Çakır missile it would be much more helpful.

And maybe a couple of Kuzgun-KY missiles for closer engagements.
It will look very stylish for poster shoots. In practice, I agree your opinion, instead of 16 ATGMs, guided rocket pods can have a similar effect as salvo fire, if the engagement is in line of sight. Or rather, engaging 16 heavily armored vehicles in a single sortie is not a realistic scenario.

16 ATGM with 4 quad racks are about 750kg. The point I want to draw attention to here is that the helicopter is designed to take off with much more than this, even twice the payload.

It will look very stylish for poster shoots. In practice, I agree your opinion, instead of 16 ATGMs, guided rocket pods can have a similar effect as salvo fire, if the engagement is in line of sight. Or rather, engaging 16 heavily armored vehicles in a single sortie is not a realistic scenario.

16 ATGM with 4 quad racks are about 750kg. The point I want to draw attention to here is that the helicopter is designed to take off with much more than this, even twice the payload.
Yeah some attack helicopters became glorified rocket artillery in Ukraine but I don't think that's the way forward either.
Why pay for a helicopter for something TR-122 can do?

There will still be some "look over the hill with milimeter-wave radar, find target and hit it with ATGM" type fighting but in many occasions, there will be network centric warfare with longer range missiles and controlling UAVs/ loitering munitions in the area.

I think çakır will be the strategic weapon, Kuzgun family for medium range targets and UMTAS type ATGMs for the closest range things the heli itself can see.

if it were up to me, T929 would carry something like Alpagu

Last edited:
ATAK-II
atak2-aa-2035269.jpg

atak-2-i0Sx_cover.jpg

geri-sayim-basladi-atak-2-145_2.jpg

ATAK-2-a%C4%9F%C4%B1r-s%C4%B1n%C4%B1f-taarruz-helikopteri-TUSA%C5%9E-ilk-goruntuler-Nisan-2023-22.jpg

View attachment 926386
untitled-1-qcij-cover-cmAG_cover.jpg

ATAK-2-a%C4%9F%C4%B1r-s%C4%B1n%C4%B1f-taarruz-helikopteri-TUSA%C5%9E-ilk-goruntuler-Nisan-2023-16.jpg
Gorgeous, can’t wait to see it in PA service in the high mountains.

Just hope they have a MMW radar lined up for it as well as a dual EO sensor turret so each the pilot and gunner have independent targeting systems; hunter-killer capability, as on the Apache.

Arrowhead_22_Dec_2022.63a32a90548f9.png

Nice writeup of the T929 - people in the west are starting to notice how successful Turkish Aviation programmes are becoming !!!!

Congratulations Turkiye !!

Nice writeup of the T929 - people in the west are starting to notice how successful Turkish Aviation programmes are becoming !!!!

Congratulations Turkiye !!

The author Tom Newdick is a very nice guy and a long-time good friend of mine who edited all my books ... his latest work he's currently preparing may be interesting to some of you :azn: and Cem Dogut is anyway famous to most.

9781950394135_1.jpg

The author Tom Newdick is a very nice guy and a long-time good friend of mine who edited all my books ... his latest work he's currently preparing may be interesting to some of you :azn: and Cem Dogut is anyway famous to most.

9781950394135_1.jpg

That's great. I know you've put a lot of work into this. Thank you very much from me.

We should offer Pakistan this chopper....
I think TAI boss has already mentioned at a TV program the Pak chopper deal isn't over, and ATAK-2 is a potential replacement offer....

One of the biggest fact that T-929 program is moving forward at such an extraordinary pace is, I believe, related to Pakistan. Not based any insider, just my own opinion.
Pak defense procurement doesn't want to leave much gap with the Indian capabilities to check any mischiefs. They need to checkmate Apaches, so T-929 definitely is a potential candidate.....

Back
Top Bottom