What's new

Syria's Latakia hit by missiles hours after Russia-Turkey deal on Idlib

Russia says Israel (indirectly) to blame for downed plane over Syria
Christian Lowe, Katya Golubkova

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia on Tuesday accused Israel of indirectly causing a Russian military plane to be shot down near Syria’s Mediterranean coast, and threatened to retaliate against Israel for what it described as a hostile act.

Russia’s defence ministry said the Il-20 reconnaissance aircraft, with 15 Russian service personnel on board, was brought down by anti-aircraft batteries of Moscow’s ally, Syria, in a friendly fire incident.

But the ministry said it held Israel responsible because, at the time of the incident, Israeli fighter jets were mounting air attacks on Syria targets and had only given Moscow one minute’s warning, putting the Russian aircraft in danger of being caught in the cross-fire.

“We view the actions of the Israeli military as hostile,” Russian defence ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov told Russian state television. “As a result of the irresponsible actions of the Israeli military, 15 Russian service personnel perished.”

Israel’s military declined to comment, as did the prime minister’s office and the foreign ministry.

Moscow said its plane disappeared from radar screens as it came in to land at the Hmeymim air base in western Syria late on Monday, at the same time as Israeli jets and French naval vessels were mounting air strikes on targets in the same area of Syria.

France denied launching any missile strikes.

According to the ministry, the Israeli F-16 jets carrying out the air strikes used the Russian plane as a cover to allow them to approach their targets on the ground without being hit by Syrian anti-aircraft fire.

“Hiding behind the Russian aircraft, the Israeli pilots put it in the line of fire of Syrian anti-aircraft systems. As a result the Il-20 ... was shot down by the (Syrian) S-200 missile system,” Konashenkov said.

He said the Israeli pilots “could not have failed to see the Russian aircraft, as it was coming in to land from a height of 5 km (three miles). Nevertheless, they deliberately carried out this provocation,” Konashenkov said.

RETALIATION THREATENED
The spokesman said: “This absolutely does not correspond to the spirit of Russian-Israeli partnership.”

“We reserve the right to take commensurate measures in response,” Konashenkov said, without giving details of what those measures would be.

Several countries have military operations underway around Syria, with forces on the ground or launching strikes from the air or from ships in the Mediterranean. In some cases, those countries are backing opposing sides in the Syrian conflict.

Foreign powers involved in the conflict — including Israel and Russia — operate hotlines which they use to exchange operational details to avoid one side accidentally attacking the other’s forces.

However, diplomats and military experts have warned that the risk of inadvertent strikes was high.

Relations between Russia and Israel have been cordial over the past few years, with Moscow trying to act as a mediator between Israel and its biggest regional adversary, Iran.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was the guest of Russian President Vladimir Putin at a military parade on Moscow’s Red Square in May this year.

Additional reporting by Tom Balmforth and Andrew Osborn in Moscow, Maayan Lubell in Jerusalem, John Irish and Sophie Louet in Paris, Phil Stewart in WASHINGTON and Nayera Abdallah in CAIRO; Sophie Louet in PARIS, Editing by William Maclean

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-m...owned-plane-over-syria-idUKKCN1LY05J?rpc=401&

Are you really gonna believe that Russian-made S300 and S400s can shoot down Russian-made aircraft? I don't think that this is Syria's doing. They will be blamed for it for sure. But it just can't be. These systems are too sophisticated to shoot down an entire plane instead of a small rocket that is coming towards the mainland. The plane has to be caught in the middle of the rocket barrage, which is highly unprobable and also sounds very stupid.

Israel warned the Russian right before the attack, so I don't think Russia used their S-400/300.

I'm no military guy, more into politics so this is up for you guys to discuss.... I have no idea which theories are most/least plausible .
France has denied any involvement, I woudn't make sense for the French to do so.
https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201809181068121621-france-russia-plane-syria/

>it's Israel's fault
>but you said the Syrian army shot your plane down
>yes, it's Israel's fault
t. Boris

LMAOOOO

Russia summons Israel's ambassador over downed military plane

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Tuesday it had summoned Israel’s ambassador in Moscow over the shooting down of a Russian military plane near Syria.

The aircraft was shot down by Syrian anti-aircraft systems but Moscow said Israeli air force jets flying in the same area had put the Russian plane in the line of fire. Israel’s government has not yet commented.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on social media that the Israeli ambassador had been called into her ministry in connection with what had happened near Syria.

Reporting by Katya Golubkova; Writing by Tom Balmforth; Editing by Andrew Osborn

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...over-syria-russia-says-idUSKCN1LY057?rpc=401&

>it's Israel's fault
>but you said the Syrian army shot your plane down
>yes, it's Israel's fault
t. Boris

LMAOOOO

I think you know why they are mad at Israel.
Israel attacked giving very short notice, the IL-20 couldn't even react before it was caught in a crossfire.
Russian are mad because Israel was seemingly recless.

Russia summons Israel's ambassador over downed military plane

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Tuesday it had summoned Israel’s ambassador in Moscow over the shooting down of a Russian military plane near Syria.

The aircraft was shot down by Syrian anti-aircraft systems but Moscow said Israeli air force jets flying in the same area had put the Russian plane in the line of fire. Israel’s government has not yet commented.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on social media that the Israeli ambassador had been called into her ministry in connection with what had happened near Syria.

Reporting by Katya Golubkova; Writing by Tom Balmforth; Editing by Andrew Osborn

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...over-syria-russia-says-idUSKCN1LY057?rpc=401&

Israel attacked giving very short notice, the IL-20 couldn't even react before it was caught in a crossfire.
Well, Israel do share the blame for this one.
But regardless, this story reveal that Syrian air defenses from Russian producting can't differentiate between ally and foe, which, hurt it credibility even more (over 150 attacks on Syrians facilities this year alone by Israel) than failing to intercept Israeli warplane on multiple occasions.
Also, According to the Syrians, S-400 was activated and it too, failed to defend those areas.

Oh we are so sorry we didn't warn Russia before we attacked Syria, so they could warn the Syrians :(
In the next war we will warn you before each and every strike, ok?

Oh we are so sorry we didn't warn Russia before we attacked Syria, so they could warn the Syrians :(

Next time your terrorist state planes will go down quick.

Next time your terrorist state planes will go down quick.
>Israel bombs Syria
>Russia threatens
>Turkey shoots down Russian aircraft
>Russia threatens
>US fires 60 Tomahawks at Syria
>Russia threatens
>Western soldiers literally invade Moscow
>Russia threatens
>Putins body is literally being dragged out to the streets of the now western controlled Moscow
>Russia threatens

Give me a break retard

>Israel bombs Syria
>Russia threatens
>Turkey shoots down Russian aircraft
>Russia threatens
>US fires 60 Tomahawks at Syria
>Russia threatens
>Western soldiers literally invade Moscow
>Russia threatens
>Putins body is literally being dragged out to the streets of the now western controlled Moscow
>Russia threatens

Give me a break retard

Fucktard, it looks like you forgot what happened early this year. Stop babbling about US and Turkey, none of them are retarded enough to fly around Russian airbase and launch missiles. Try that again. Your terrorist state got itself into a big trouble.

Fucktard, it looks like you forgot what happened early this year. Stop babbling about US and Turkey, none of them are retarded enough to fly around Russian airbase and launch missiles. Try that again. Your terrorist state got itself into a big trouble.
IAF planes were already at Israel by the time Syria launched those missiles.
I guess Russian air defenses systems can't tell the difference between a friend and a foe

We attacked targets less than a dozen kilometers away from active S-400 batteries.
You're a worthless piece of trash that cannot even defend your allies airspace.

Well, Israel do share the blame for this one.
But regardless, this story reveal that Syrian air defenses from Russian producting can't differentiate between ally and foe, which, hurt it credibility even more (over 150 attacks on Syrians facilities this year alone by Israel) than failing to intercept Israeli warplane on multiple occasions.
Also, According to the Syrians, S-400 was activated and it too, failed to defend those areas.
Well it seemed to me that the Russians didn't respond with their air defences. Actually I think Russia secretly likes that Israel strikes Iranian targets. I don't think that the Syrian news outlets are reliable at all as the same ones said that a good number of Israeli missiles were downed.
About Syrian air defences, they no doubt can't differentiate between friend and foe, at least not the vast majority as they are older soviet variants. Even a good number the newer Russian ones are probably cheap export versions.
I also agree with you that Israel is somewhat resposible, they could have given that Russian plane some more time to get away, Russia doesn't seem to be bothered to defend Iranian/Syrian assets anyway, no need to be that risky.

Lol calm down edgelord. First off, I am not even a Russian, so stop referring me as such. Second, I understand why Israel did what it did, I just was explaining why the Russian were mad at Israel.

Jewish Ummah is strong while Muslim Ummah and Christian Ummah are weak, There's not much Muslim Ummah and Christian Ummah can do except to bend over for the God's chosen people.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom