What's new

Supreme Court rejects pleas against Hafiz Saeed's release

Marxist

Reaction score
Country
India
Pakistan's Supreme Court Tuesday dismissed two appeals challenging the release from house arrest of Lashkar-e-Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed, who India says masterminded the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack.

The court dismissed the appeals by the federal and Punjab provincial governments against a Lahore High Court order freeing Saeed from house arrest, saying the evidence against him was insufficient.

Supreme Court rejects pleas against Hafiz Saeed's release

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld a lower court's decision to release Hafiz Mohammad Saeed who India accuses of masterminding a 2008 assault on its city of Mumbai, dismissing a government appeal.

Pakistan's central government and a provincial government had challenged the release of Saeed by a high court last year.

But the Supreme Court quashed the appeals, saying the government had failed to provide sufficient evidence against Saeed.

“The appeals are dismissed,” Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk, head of a three-member panel, said while announcing the decision.

A. K. Dogar, a defense lawyer, said the court ruled Tuesday that the government had failed to produce any evidence that Saeed played a role in the attack that killed 166 people.

“The prosecution has failed to prove its case,” he said.

“We cannot usurp the right of freedom of a person on mere assumption,” Dogar quoted a short order from the court as saying.

Dogar said the court found that there was no evidence linking Saeed to any terror groups.

India is likely to be dismayed by the decision, which comes shortly after the two countries agreed to resume talks that had been frozen by India after the Mumbai attacks, in which 166 people were killed.

India blamed the LeT group for the coordinated assault by 10 militants on its financial capital in November 2008.

Pakistan detained Saeed in December 2008 after a UN Security Council resolution to put him and a charity he heads on a list of people and organisations supporting al Qaeda.

But the high court in Lahore released him last year on the grounds of insufficient evidence, prompting the government to appeal to the Supreme Court for his re-arrest.—Agencies

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | SC quashes appeals against Hafiz Saeed

Pak court gives clean chit to Hafiz Saeed

Islamabad: Pakistan's Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed appeals filed by authorities challenging the release of JuD chief Hafiz Muhammed Saeed, blamed by India for masterminding the Mumbai attacks, from house arrest.

The appeals against the Lahore High Court's order to release Saeed were filed by the federal and Punjab governments last year but could not be taken up earlier for various technical reasons.

When the matter came up for hearing today, a three-judge bench headed by Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk dismissed the appeals. Further details were not immediately available.

Saeed, also the founder of the banned Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT), was put under house arrest in December 2008 in the wake of the Mumbai attacks after the UN Security Council declared the JuD a front for the LeT.

The JuD chief challenged his detention in the Lahore High Court.

Saeed was freed on June 02 last year by a three-judge bench of the High Court that said that Punjab and federal governments had failed to provide sufficient evidence to keep him in custody.

Following pressure from India and the international community, the federal and Punjab governments challenged the High Court's ruling in the apex court.

Differences between the federal and Punjab governments and the change of certain legal officials of Punjab province held up the matter in the apex court.

Pakistani leaders like Interior Minister Rehman Malik and Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi have contended that India has not provided any evidence that will allow authorities to act against Saeed.

Home Minister P Chidambaram has maintained that India has provided sufficient evidence against Saeed in several dossiers handed over to Pakistani authorities.

Pak court gives clean chit to Hafiz Saeed

As the saying goes " Put the telescope in the blind eye " ..

even if we send 10000 dossiers..there would not be enough proof

A dossier is not proof - you can send 10000 dossiers but if they are the same as the ones given to Pakistan so far, lacking in strong incriminating evidence, then they won't make a lick of difference.

For some reason Indians are confusing a 'dossier' with evidence. While I have heard about some of the evidence against Lakhvi and Shah (intercepted messages to the Mumbai attackers that can be matched to the suspects), I have not heard of any strong, credible evidence linking HS to the Mumbai attacks, even from India.

No one can be detained because of some **** and bull story made by Indian Int people.

There is no proof against the Professor Hafiz Saeed. I know he is a learned man and he knows consequence well.

Hafiz Saeed only support Freedom Movement in Kashmir and he does not vow to put Pak flag on Lal Qila as some others claim.

A dossier is not proof - you can send 10000 dossiers but if they are the same as the ones given to Pakistan so far, lacking in strong incriminating evidence, then they won't make a lick of difference.

For some reason Indians are confusing a 'dossier' with evidence. While I have heard about some of the evidence against Lakhvi and Shah (intercepted messages to the Mumbai attackers that can be matched to the suspects), I have not heard of any strong, credible evidence linking HS to the Mumbai attacks, even from India.

26/11: India gives detailed dossier to Pak

"India on Saturday handed over a “detailed” dossier of evidence on the 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai to Pakistan"

Your just Wrong....India did send evidence...but as usual you people will blame everyone else except yourself for your own problems and others problems..

'FBI hands over 26/11 attacks evidence to Pak' - Express India

"The FBI has given to Pakistan evidence amassed by it on involvement of elements based in that country in the Mumbai strikes"

I guess the FBI is lying too ?

There is enough evidence...but for you people anyone who kills Indians are always innocents victims of Indian imperialism or freedom fighters ?

anyway...i know am talking to deaf ears and blind eyes...

India disappointed over Pak SC decision on Hafiz Saeed

New Delhi, May 25 (PTI) Expressing disappointment over Pakistan Supreme Court's dismissal of appeals challenging the release of JuD chief Hafiz Saeed from house arrest, India today hoped that Islamabad will take "meaningful action" to address its concerns.

"There is a sense of disappointment. I am sure everybody in this country will share same sense of disappointment on this development especially when we regard Hafiz Saeed as one of the masterminds of the Mumbai terror attacks and he has openly urged jihad against India," Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao said here.

Adding that enough evidence has been given to Pakistan on role and activities of Saeed, she said, "Now since Pakistan has assured us that it will not allow its territory to be used against India, we hope Pakistan will be sensitive to our efforts and take meaningful action.

fullstory

Well if you call dossier a proof, then zaid hamid comes into play, i will post his videos later where he rips apart the content of so called dossier you have sent us.. :woot:

Wait till i get home.

btw acc to Google

The defination of Dossier is

•a collection of papers containing detailed information about a particular person or subject (usually a person's record)

•A dossier is typically a briefing paper based on an individual of interest in police or intelligence circles. ...

The way i see it you are showing interest in Hafiz Saeed and giving us detail information about his activities (Dossiers :woot:).. but what you fail to understand is that this cannot be taken as a proof.

Give us proof and take HS

Back
Top Bottom