Support Our Troops

Xeric

RETIRED THINK TANK
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
http://www.newsweekpakistan.com/features/330

Support Our Troops

Let’s not forget the soldiers who risk life and limb for our country.

By Ayeda Husain Naqvi | From the June 10‚ 2011‚ issue

Asif Hassan / AFP

support-our-troops-by-ayeda-husain-naqvi.jpg

We place idols on pedestals only to throw them down and bludgeon them when they reveal feet of clay. Our relationship with our armed forces is one of false expectations, which lead us to extremes: from belting out patriotic, tear-jerking war songs to resorting to rabid calls to “dissolve the whole bloody Army.”

Tribute groups sprang up on Facebook for soldiers like Lt. Yasir Abbas, one of 10 who died in the PNS Mehran attack on May 22 in Karachi. This at the same time that mainstream media ran reports suggesting that the attackers may have been helped by military insiders. So what is the true face of the Pakistan military? Is it the image of the young, heroic soldier bidding farewell to his family as he embarks on his final mission or is it the caricature of the opportunistic, mustache-twirling general? Are these men the bastions of Jinnah’s Pakistan or Taliban sympathizers? And the numbers, which ones do we quote? The figures which show that more Pakistani soldiers have paid for America’s “war on terror” with their lives than any other army or the reportedly unaccounted for billions of dollars that have been funneled to our military since 9/11?

These conflicting accounts reflect a world of parallel realities that Pakistanis have become accustomed to. Our love-hate relationship with the military leads us, at best, to blindly extol the virtues of the armed forces, and, at its worst, to the hateful sneering we see today. It was in response to these attitudes that a group of us developed the Green Ribbon Campaign at the time of the Swat Operation two years ago. We had a simple message: It is possible to support our troops, the young who fall in the line of duty, without unquestioningly supporting those they take their orders from.

Inspired by the yellow ribbon used by the Americans to support their troops, the green ribbon with the white tip was designed to represent the tolerant and pluralistic Pakistan envisioned by Jinnah. As I wrote in “Where is Our Yellow Ribbon?” in the May 9, 2009, edition of Daily Times, “One can be angry with Zardari, think that Musharraf sold out and believe that the ISI is a sinister organization with its own agenda without losing compassion for our soldiers, the young men who are being killed every day. These are men who willingly lay down their lives, men who often return maimed or paralyzed to their young families. In other countries, men like them would enjoy hero status. And yet, here in Pakistan, when they turn on their television sets at night, they see their nation scoffing at them.”

After reading this article, a soldier who had served in the Army for 14 years wrote to me and described the toll his professional life had taken on his family and him: he suffered from chronic mountain sickness, high blood pressure and loss of memory for years after having been stationed in high altitudes. His daughter suffered academically from having to move so often and his wife lost a child because she was unable to get the little girl to the hospital in time. Still, he was willing to go back and serve his country.

Like the rest of the Army boys, this man was no saint and no sinner. He does not deserve to be idolized or demonized. And yet, as civilians, these are the only two categories we have been able to come up with. At best, we defend the Army blindly—like some of our rightwing media anchors who reduce everything to a Zionist conspiracy—and thus absolve it of any accountability. At worst, we judge the entire institution by the misdeeds of the top brass. Both are dangerous precedents.

Without losing compassion and sympathy for those who suffer and sacrifice in order to protect us, it is time for reform. The Army needs to be seen for what it is; its leaders, with all their limitations, for who they are. No deifying, please. We have all heard the stories about Pakistani fighter jets being flown by angels during the 1965 war, after the pilots ejected. It’s time to get real. Romanticizing will not help.

Naqvi is a former features editor of The Friday Times.

But dont we see the rank and files being the target of sarcasm these days? Also, one should remember that these generals and admirals have also gone through the same rigors these young and foot soldiers have. They were not born with a sword and cane pip.

Xeric: Fair point, but a fish starts to rot at the head, and the rest of the body get thrown out too to get rid of the stink.

The fact that the leadership has risen through the ranks does not immunize them for what they do once in those leadership positions.

Having said that, I salute Lt. Yaser Abbas's recent martyrdom embraced in the line of valiant duty, and pray for his family to have the patience to deal with their great loss. I know personally what such a loss means to a family, and I can never ever forget that.

After reading this article, a soldier who had served in the Army for 14 years wrote to me and described the toll his professional life had taken on his family and him: he suffered from chronic mountain sickness, high blood pressure and loss of memory for years after having been stationed in high altitudes. His daughter suffered academically from having to move so often and his wife lost a child because she was unable to get the little girl to the hospital in time. Still, he was willing to go back and serve his country.

This soldier is still brave to serve country no matter what the suffers he has face compared to all of us. :cry:

Inspired by the yellow ribbon used by the Americans to support their troops, the green ribbon with the white tip was designed to represent the tolerant and pluralistic Pakistan envisioned by Jinnah. As I wrote in “Where is Our Yellow Ribbon?” in the May 9, 2009, edition of Daily Times, “One can be angry with Zardari, think that Musharraf sold out and believe that the ISI is a sinister organization with its own agenda without losing compassion for our soldiers, the young men who are being killed every day. These are men who willingly lay down their lives, men who often return maimed or paralyzed to their young families. In other countries, men like them would enjoy hero status. And yet, here in Pakistan, when they turn on their television sets at night, they see their nation scoffing at them.”

green-ribbon-pakistan.jpg

*Army must not repeating OBL raids, Mehran attack, flip flop dealing, corrupt, fund mismanagements, etc.

No doubt that the fish indeed starts from the head, but then blatantly blaming these senior officers as if they have no deen iman or as if they were just made to land from heavens to lead this military is plain wrong. Yes, we know that power corrupts, so it is normal for some to go insane, but the majority still feel the pain of their men.

No doubt that the fish indeed starts from the head, but then blatantly blaming these senior officers as if they have no deen iman or as if they were just made to land from heavens to lead this military is plain wrong. Yes, we know that power corrupts, so it is normal for some to go insane, but the majority still feel the pain of their men.

I agree with you here.

For all my criticisms, I will say this too: The Army is a critically important organization for Pakistan, and there is much that is RIGHT about it. It does need a top to bottom clean-up and re-alignment of certain policies, but the the patriotism and dedication of the rank and file is exemplary.

Yeah.

But then dont we need a similar clean-up operation in almost every Pakistani institution? Rather we need this clean-up to start from the within. No twisted followers of Islam in the society, none of such beings gets selected to form part of the military.

The military have tried it's best to keep it's men clean from the obvious crap, though a few genuinely get rotten (this no one can help) nd it os these who bring the bad name to the institution.

You are absolutely correct here Xeric. ALL segments of present day Pakistani society need a clean-up, but it must come from within. Expats like me, or others, cannot know what is best or try to impose if from the outside looking in. My greatest fear is that the time to get all these complex processes underway is fast running out, if not already expired.

Let me start by saying "I love my country, with out it I am no one":pakistan:. I also salute all those brave soldiers from Army, Airforce, Navy, FC, Police who have laid down their lives for this land. BUT I am extremely sorry I do not equate Patriotism with the love for Army.

Criticizing role of Pakistan Army for creating ills does not equate to being unpatriotic. Pakistan Army continently takes credit for all the accomplishments where as ignoring its failures. Pakistan army have won more PR battles with Pakistani public then all the three wars combined. Pakistanis were proud of their Army cause in a country where corruption and incompetence was ripe, every state institution is non function. Where who your born to or who you know is more important then your talent or hardwork, Army was the only functional institution. We gladly fed them well over 70% of our annual budgets to them with out asking much questions. They built cantonments where they wished, where the landscape did not looked like with the rest of urban Pakistan. Army was given a free hand for abusing the resources of this nation. Yet every few years Army effectively took over the government and every time, every dictator used the same excuse of Wider National Interest. And at the end of every dictatorship Pakistan suffered more.
Its about time we hold Pakistan Army accountable cause it seems they are into every business other then business of Protecting Pakistan. They assumed the role of protecting ideology of Pakistan, and in turn ended up completely destroying it.

Valour and bravery runs deep in every Pakistani soldier but unfortunately incompetence and cowardliness found home among the leaders of this country. Both Military and Political. Every Pakistani loves these brave soldiers but this love is not unconditional any more. We consider you better men, we hold you higher to higher standards.
Pakistan Zindabad.

You are absolutely correct here Xeric. ALL segments of present day Pakistani society need a clean-up, but it must come from within. Expats like me, or others, cannot know what is best or try to impose if from the outside looking in. My greatest fear is that the time to get all these complex processes underway is fast running out, if not already expired.

^^ Who has do this clean-up? You? No. You are an expat. Me? May be, coz i live here. But then can i lone do it? You posted an old saying; the fish rots from the top, well then we must also take care of the head first, the change should start coming from the top. Our leaders should grow some balls and come clean, first. i have always said that the day these politicians will grow enough balls, would become clean and stop being part of every corruption plot, that day the military would NOT dare see them in eyes, it will look down as if saying 'jee hazoor'. A rickshaw wala cannot go clean over night, he's bust making his ends meet, that's the only thing he cares about. You and me only cry out loud on forums and at the max influence our little spheres, but then the change has to be affected from the top and this only the toppers themselves can do. We, on the other hand, should raise voice, object and step on their tails so that they are compelled to do it, even if they dont want to do it willingly, that's it.

Xeric: Your words, heartfelt and true as they are, only increase my despondence at the lack of true change being started in a timely manner.

There is no doubt that our rank and file are truly valiant, dedicated, and brave.

The great pity is that their leadership hides behind this wall to hide their corrupt, illegal and self-serving ways.

Leadership is good too. The problem with us Pakistanis is that we have a habit of massively stereotyping and generalizing. When an American is bad, all Americans are bad, when a mullah is bad, all mullahs are bad and similarly, when a General is bad, all Generals and the entire officer corps of the Pakistan Army is bad.

What Ayeda has written about the soldier applies to most of the officers as well just like Xeric sahib has pointed out. Pakistan's problems are multifaceted. Our poor economic situation results in the need for our strategists to look for support from outsiders (read US and China) which comes at a cost. Our neighbourhood is a tough one and its roughness is not of our making entirely. We have to deal with it somehow and we have to cut our stomachs to fund our security sometimes. This is not lost on the Armed forces yet the challenges Pakistan faces today are also of a magnitude that it may not be possible for the armed forces to tackle the situation all by themselves. The situation around people praying janaza for OBL yet some calling the janaza of the martyred troops as haram is getting in the way. More later..

Blain2: Sure, I would like to hear what you will add "more later...." to your post above, since I disagree with several of your points, but I will wait until you complete your arguments before responding.

Whether you like this guy or not, here are some very important factors pointed out by him...

This is not the time to criticize these soldiers, it's the time when they are in utmost need of our unconditional support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom