What's new

Sukhoi PAK-FA / FGFA: Updates,News & Discussions

Need more time on 5th-gen fighter jet, India tells Russia

Ajay Banerjee

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, October 31

In the latest round of India-Russia military talks, New Delhi has told Moscow that it will need more time to examine the proposal to jointly develop the fifth generation fighter aircraft (FGFA).

The FGFA, which is under development, is very much a future requirement for the Indian Air Force (IAF) upgrade programme, the Russian side was conveyed last week at a meeting between Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and his Russian counterpart General Sergey Shoigu in New Delhi.

“We have asked for greater details with regards to the work India will be doing in manufacturing the plane and also technology transfer,” a top source in the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said. India and Russia have been working to conclude a pending agreement to co-develop the FGFA.

New Delhi has told Moscow that it wants a new engine and the plane must have super cruise ability, a 360-degree radar ability, added stealth features among 40-odd other India-specific modifications over the existing prototype. A plane called the ‘T-50’ built by the Russians under the PAK-FA (Prospective Airborne Complex of Frontline Aviation) programme as FGFA is already being tested as prototype in Russia.

The two countries have to sign a research and development (R&D) contract for the FGFA, but before that the “wrinkles have to be ironed out”. The signing of a R&D contract has been pending since June 2013 when the preliminary design contract (PDC), which detailed out the fighter’s configuration, was completed. The PDC cost $295 million (Rs 1,500 crore approximately).

The IAF has said AL-41F1 engines being used on the existing T-50 were just upgraded versions of the Sukhoi-30MKI’s AL-31FP engines and it would need a new engine. Also, the MoD wants that the R&D contract should have an adequate share of work done in India, thus allowing Indian engineers to learn the art of designing and making a plane. The R&D contract is estimated to be for $4 billion (around Rs 26,000 crore). The R&D process and final development of the plane is expected to be spread across seven years.

An aircraft such as the FGFA would be ideal for missions deep into the enemy territory. The IAF is now operating at its lowest combat strength in more than a decade. It is down to 33 squadrons (some 16-18 planes in each) as against a mandated 42 squadrons needed for simultaneous and collusive two-front war scenario with Pakistan and China.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/na...en-fighter-jet-india-tells-russia/317186.html

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/need-mor...-jet-india-tells-russia.458939/#ixzz4OiQm2Mx1

Т-50-5Р :D

T-50-5R  -  Vadim Savitsky.jpg

When levcons are in a down position doesn't it hamper air intake for the engines? Can it lead to a stalling event?

When levcons are in a down position doesn't it hamper air intake for the engines? Can it lead to a stalling event?
Not likely.

Take a close look at the pic in post 2702.

https://defence.pk/threads/sukhoi-pak-fa-fgfa-updates-news-discussions.118201/page-181#post-8886574

The levcons and the wing leading edge (LE) flaps have the same degree of displacement. You can look at the levcons as LE flaps for the lifting fuselage design. Am no aerodynamicist, but from this perspective, I would guess that different degrees of displacement would generate different pressure and lifting forces from wing to fuselage that may not be conducive to stable flight.

I do not think the levcons' displacement, even at low speed, would be enough to disrupt intake air to the engines.

Ministry of Defence
02-December, 2016 14:29 IST
Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft

An Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) has been signed in October 2007 between the Governments of India and the Russian Federation for joint development and production of Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA).

The project is planned to be executed in two phases (i)Preliminary Design (PD) phase; and (ii)Detailed Design & Development Phase (Called R&D Phase).

An amount of Rs.1609.41 crore has been sanctioned for PD phase. The PD phase contract was signed in December 2010. The work commenced in February 2011 and completed in June 2013. Negotiations for R&D contract between Indian side and Russians are on.

This information was given by Minister of State for Defence Dr. Subhash Bhamre in a written reply to Shri Baijayant Jay Panda in Lok Sabha today.

The serviceability rate of the Sukhoi Su-30 — a twin-engine multi-role fighter aircraft in service with the Indian Air Force — has risen to 60 per cent, said Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar at the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit on Thursday.

“When I became Raksha Mantri, I realised that the Su-30 (Sukois), the main fighter of Indian Air Force has a serviceability of 46 per cent. The helicopter fleet of the Indian Army and Air Force supplied through HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Limited) had a serviceability of somewhere around 50 per cent. It is too low. The minimum international standards one expects is about 70-75 per cent. Sometimes you can even achieve 80 per cent-plus. Because making one fighter available more saves you the cost of buying a new fighter (aircraft). You have 300 fighters and only 150 or 140 are capable of taking on the task, I think you are not good. We decided to improve this,” Parrikar told to an audience that consisted of officials from the Ministry of Defence and firms operating in the defence sector.

The Sukhoi Su-30 MKI is built by India's Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
Su-30MKI.jpg

Sukhoi-30 overhauled at Nashik, highlights HAL's growing capability
AA%2BSukhoi.jpg

HAL Manufactures Su-30MK
Sukhoi_Su_30MKI_Manufacturing.jpg

I lost hope on IAF,I think IAF won't choose pakkfa/fgfa. Pity our main adversary does have two different gen 5 fighter programme and is about to complete,and we have none.

Back
Top Bottom