What's new

Suggestion regarding a Gun...

A good decision....

A man without a gun is like a tree without fruits..

A gunsmith once suggested me to get whatever kills at the first shot....

*Please don't ask me what I have got

Be careful when you get stopped by cops in your car and asked if you're licenced to carry...hands on the steering and no sudden movements!!

Maybe I'm overreacting

A good decision....

A man without a gun is like a tree without fruits..

A gunsmith once suggested me to get whatever kills at the first shot....

*Please don't ask me what I have got

Are you trying to say that guns should grow on men's arms and legs? Imagine if a beretta was dropped on Isaac Newton's head instead of an apple....

I can't be of much help because circumstances are different. I live in 'real country' area where it is implicit that everyone is 'locked and loaded' and messing with the residents is asking for some serious trouble!!! Our neighborhood is very safe anyway--15 years of living here. We are not cursed like many parts of America, especially cities are. There are some benefits to living in Red States and having a country life! At one point some potentially threatening people started renting nearby and we made sure to walk around with the rifle to show them and also did some shooting the cans noises. But they were okay people and they moved on/evicted.

Having said that, we (wife and I ) do have a rifle where barrels can be switched from a .22 to something like a 310. We keep the .22 loaded with 'snake shots' because the snakes are potentially our worst enemies but even then I'd only shoot poisonous snakes and leave the poor harmless-as-frogs black snakes alone.

Maybe get a rifle like mine--just for the show. I think it's enough visible deterrent and also much safer in the house. If you shoot someone with that you won't kill or even seriously injure anyone but, with the right bullet, could cause enough injury to incapacitate.

Or even better: Move to the country side! @Hamartia Antidote and I would encourage that!

So guys, Firsts of all I am against guns, specially Automatic rifles but recently the city I am working had a shooting that result in one dead and couple injured, my Wife has been trying to get my birthday present so I thought maybe I should buy a Pistol and take classes to how to safely handle a gun? The thing is that I have no idea about guns except that Pistols or handguns usually take 9mm bullets. I don't want to build an arsenal or automatic guns, I just want to get my fear of guns out of me because here you need a gun to protect yourself from muggers, gangs or druggies. My wife think its necessary that one of us know how to handle a gun maturely and my wife don't want it so that has to be me, I just want to know if this would be a good idea and if yes, then Which gun I should go for ? Please don't suggest Automatic rifles, shotguns or hunting rifles , Ak's or snipers , I am only looking for a handgun.

@SQ8 @VCheng @F-22Raptor @Hamartia Antidote @Meengla @Oldman1 @FuturePAF @PanzerKiel @The Eagle @MastanKhan

Sorry don't have one and luckily it is safe in my area and I'd be more worried about angry family members using it.

First suggestion: NEVER ask for a suggestion about buying a gun, go to a rental range, try out the ones that fit your hand the best, then choose the one that feels most comfortable to operate. if you want to carry, then check if the one you selected would be comfortable wearing during the long hot days on your body. There are many other factors, but since I have not met you, I can't suggest anything specific. Go to a good gun store, tell them what you need it for and they will suggest something better than anyone on PDF.

So guys, Firsts of all I am against guns, specially Automatic rifles but recently the city I am working had a shooting that result in one dead and couple injured, my Wife has been trying to get my birthday present so I thought maybe I should buy a Pistol and take classes to how to safely handle a gun? The thing is that I have no idea about guns except that Pistols or handguns usually take 9mm bullets. I don't want to build an arsenal or automatic guns, I just want to get my fear of guns out of me because here you need a gun to protect yourself from muggers, gangs or druggies. My wife think its necessary that one of us know how to handle a gun maturely and my wife don't want it so that has to be me, I just want to know if this would be a good idea and if yes, then Which gun I should go for ? Please don't suggest Automatic rifles, shotguns or hunting rifles , Ak's or snipers , I am only looking for a handgun.

@SQ8 @VCheng @F-22Raptor @Hamartia Antidote @Meengla @Oldman1 @FuturePAF @PanzerKiel @The Eagle @MastanKhan

Canik, if you can find.. I have Glock and Canik, and the Canik is best

Purchasing a gun is easy thing but to be mentally prepared and ready to handle a hand gun is something important to consider before buying decision.

When you are ready, fit enough and about to buy a hand gun, 1. size ........ bigger ones are hard to conceal and carry, 2. something that suits your palm size, 3. barrel warranty, 4. weight, 5. safety features, 5. double action (adds an extra safety measure) or single action 6. trusted and known manufacturers and brands 7. price (all this is in random order)

Once you have bought the weapon get familiar with it, never ever point a gun towards any living being unless you are ready to shoot and harm, finger position always always away from trigger unless again you are ready aimed and willing to harm a living being. Dry firing a weapon helps but in place and location away from others. To be ready to carry a gun you need to be very very aware of your surrounding(s) (situational awareness). And yep hand gun is to be handled using both your hands and not Pakistani wedding style.

And last but not least gun locker. During day time at home, always keep a gun at place where it takes you minimum 10 minutes to reach it (if you are hyper person who gets easily offended increase this to whatever it takes you to calm down and get back to your senses).

Watch a ton loads of quality videos on youtube, some of them are really informative and helpful.

You are completely to the point bro, I consider myself to be fully mentally fit, I don't get temper outbursts or get offended easily, I have no intention of carrying my gun around or pointing at anyone, I don't like hunting as well its just I feel that Police here in the area is overwhelmed and lots of gun related crimes are happening, me personally never had or even hold a real gun in my life, and not gonna lie but I am kinda scared of them but its becoming necessary here, and I had to be the person to handle things in my house as my wife is young and not agile when it comes to dealing with situations. Plus my wife is careless to a degree where I won't be comfortable in giving her the gun and its responsibility so I will take it on myself.
It depends where do you want to use it.
Carry with you, a handgun.
At home, shotgun is good, which won't penetrate the wall. If someone break in, you pick up your shotgun, you don't need to aim at him, just shoot.

My home was almost broken in several years ago, luckily I was awake at 1AM. He escapes, otherwise I will shoot him.

Nah Bro, Shotguns can kill people even if its a intruder, if someone break into my house (God forbid) my first instinct is to call police and let them do the work, my thing is I want a least damaging pistol that I can use it for scaring people off who try to break into.
First off, I’m sorry it has had to come to it that you need to get a gun to feel safe, from possible intruders into your home.

Secondly, make sure you are able to secure a gun, if you purchase one. If you have children, make sure you have the means to keep it locked and away from them.

Both you and your wife will need to learn to fire the handgun so you both can understand and appreciate the capabilities of a gun and to get over the fear of using it. The two of you should take a gun safety class, and they would be better able to guide you and deciding what gun fits your needs.

But to your point, I think a Ruger 9mm is probably what your looking for.

Thanks for the concern bro, I won't give a gun to my wife as she is not responsible, she forgets a lot and she is not the one to give something that importance, no we don't have kids yet that is why I think its best time for to get a pistol , train and learn on it make sure I can handle it properly. My Father in law is Ex-Army who often asked me to go to Range with him to practice or just learn, I wasn't interested cause I never liked guns. But apart from official classes he can be an extra guide for me, before I can fully move out I can use that for my own benefit. Is Ruger 9 a Pistol ?
Be careful when you get stopped by cops in your car and asked if you're licenced to carry...hands on the steering and no sudden movements!!

Maybe I'm overreacting

No you concerns are genuine, but as I mentioned that I have no intention to carry a gun on me, its for the home and just want to overcome that fear of guns so I can protect the family from druggies and thugs, by not shooting at them or anyone just scaring them off.

Last edited:
Have a glock 26 with a CCP and it serves me well.

What is CCP ?
Sorry don't have one and luckily it is safe in my area and I'd be more worried about angry family members using it.

Bro the day I moved to a better neighborhood, I'd be selling that in heart beat. Not because I am worried about any family member or my wife using it on me (pun intended) but its just I don't like guns.

I can't be of much help because circumstances are different. I live in 'real country' area where it is implicit that everyone is 'locked and loaded' and messing with the residents is asking for some serious trouble!!! Our neighborhood is very safe anyway--15 years of living here. We are not cursed like many parts of America, especially cities are. There are some benefits to living in Red States and having a country life! At one point some potentially threatening people started renting nearby and we made sure to walk around with the rifle to show them and also did some shooting the cans noises. But they were okay people and they moved on/evicted.

Having said that, we (wife and I ) do have a rifle where barrels can be switched from a .22 to something like a 310. We keep the .22 loaded with 'snake shots' because the snakes are potentially our worst enemies but even then I'd only shoot poisonous snakes and leave the poor harmless-as-frogs black snakes alone.

Maybe get a rifle like mine--just for the show. I think it's enough visible deterrent and also much safer in the house. If you shoot someone with that you won't kill or even seriously injure anyone but, with the right bullet, could cause enough injury to incapacitate.

Or even better: Move to the country side! @Hamartia Antidote and I would encourage that!

I live in country side to, but the cities (smaller) ones are not the best shape, its just I am hearing lots of shooting/break in's/or people pulling gun incidents, not that police is not active, I see many arrests so far, but i think before I have kids or move out with my wife who is also young, I think I have to man up to take some responsibility to protect the family, I can't live like a chicken, and although i don't like guns i think having one just to scare people who try to break in or threat you is not a bad thing, and as i told @Hamartia Antidote the day I am able to move to a better neighborhood I will just sell my gun when I wont need it.

As for rifle suggestion bro, I don't think I am ready for a rifle...I hold some pistols from my father in law's safe, they don't feel sluggish or heavy, or even hard to handle.. Yes I did not fire one but I think its something that is best for the purpose I am looking a gun for.

Hi,
If you have fear of guns i would suggest you to visit a gun range first and try the guns (0.22lr & 9mm) in the presence of a trained instructor before you buy a gun.

You should buy a CO2 or electric pistols (air pistol) to make yourself familiar with the working and carrying of the gun and then you can buy gun once you know how to handle it safely.

If you are in US,
You have so many options for pistols.

I am not going to carry, Its only for getting familiar with guns, tackle my fear and make sure whenever we have our own place we can scare the robbers or thieves, I don't want to have rifles or have any interest in hunting animals as well.

View attachment 802117
Compact 9 mm Smith & Wesson. Affordable and reliable.

Maybe I'm overreacting
You do not need a carry permit the gun is inside the car

Hi,
If you have fear of guns i would suggest you to visit a gun range first and try the guns (0.22lr & 9mm) in the presence of a trained instructor before you buy a gun.

You should buy a CO2 or electric pistols (air pistol) to make yourself familiar with the working and carrying of the gun and then you can buy gun once you know how to handle it safely.

If you are in US,
You have so many options for pistols.

Yes I am in US, and it sounds like a good idea to go to a range before actually buying one.

Back
Top Bottom