What's new

Sufi singers under assault in Bangladesh

The job of the sufis have historically been to " promote" the spread of Islam through peace , love and spiritualism , and they have millions of followers in India , Pakistan , BD - all over South Asia. They are intensely religious men who segregate from mainstream society to immerse themselves in prayers and revered as saints.If this is not a respected occupation then dont know what is ....

And till date we haven't heard of any fatwa , decree or edict issued against a sufi saint by any scholar of any denomination....not even the Deobandis of Lucknow , the most widely followed Muslim sect in the subcontinent. ( Taliban edicts dont count ).

A man was staying in Masjid and Praying all day. Kalifa Omar has noticed that man's unusual behavior, got mad and threw him out of Masjid and told him to get to work.

Islam is way of life and being a good muslim required to work, earn and provide for family. Meanig family life is as important as pray to Allah. Only praying and living on donation is anything but Islamic.

Now, what is this so called mordern day sufi does beside jerk around grave yard and smoke ganja? Absuletly nothing.

I personally do not called Islamic scholor like M Chishti sufi. All I know he came to sub continent with message of Allah and we pray for his departed soul. May Allah bless them but mordern day ganjakoor sufi needs to be kicedk and force them to get jobs. No space for these haramkoor in our society.I salute maulana for the curage.

Ref. the underlined:
Fluency in spoken Urdu is not the sole preserve of educated Pakistanis. From my own experience, a man running a 'chai-ka-dukaan' or driving a taxi in Karachi can speak good Urdu. Just as a Tange-wala in Lucknow can.

Urdu was never the language of any of the Provinces that constitute Pakistan. It is a north Indian language which had flourished through centuries in the lands from Lucknow to Delhi and a little beyond this and that direction. Only the Indian Muhajirs in Karachi or other parts of Pakistan are native to this language. Other Pakistanis' mother tongues are different in different Provinces. However, all of them learn Urdu and educated Pakistanis are good speaker of this language. However, any Indian origin Pakistanis in Karachi speak the language even if he is not educated, albeit, his vocabularies are limited.

I beg to differ here. I have read some of the books by both of the authors, and the level of intellectual between this people are overwhelming. Arundhati Roy is not babbling , matter of fact she knows what she's talking about unlike Tasleema nasreen. I do strongly think Arundati Roy has some significant point.
Anyways, I'm guessing most Indians would think I am prejudiced towards Taslima Nasreen but ask any independent, intellectual followers and you will get your answers.

I have read both Arundhati Roy and Tasleema Nasreen. As a writer Tasleema Nasreen has got nothing on Arundhati. But maybe thats because Tasleema Nasreen writes in Bangla and when the books are translated to English it just doesn't feel the same. I personally found Tasleema Nasreen's way of writing quite monotonous.

Having said that though, lets not forget that she started writing just as a hobby and was a doctor by profession. So lets not call her illiterate at least. As far as her book Lajja is concerned, well there must have been some truth in that book, I don't see why else would there be such a backlash against her.

I have read both Arundhati Roy and Tasleema Nasreen. As a writer Tasleema Nasreen has got nothing on Arundhati. But maybe thats because Tasleema Nasreen writes in Bangla and when the books are translated to English it just doesn't feel the same. I personally found Tasleema Nasreen's way of writing quite monotonous.

Having said that though, lets not forget that she started writing just as a hobby and was a doctor by profession. So lets not call her illiterate at least. As far as her book Lajja is concerned, well there must have been some truth in that book, I don't see why else would there be such a backlash against her.

Good to know we share some common ground. Believing in 100% freedom of speech, I do think the ban caused more fame than she truly deserves and someone could have put some constructive arguments to retaliate, but oh well. Its not a perfect country. But I have seen many posts here where the Indian members take arundhati roy to be "fish mongering" rather than actually put some constructive counter arguments. Having said that, I have read some of the counter arguments but none of them has been effective or logical enough to convince me otherwise.

Good to know we share some common ground. Believing in 100% freedom of speech, I do think the ban caused more fame than she truly deserves and someone could have put some constructive arguments to retaliate, but oh well. Its not a perfect country. But I have seen many posts here where the Indian members take arundhati roy to be "fish mongering" rather than actually put some constructive counter arguments. Having said that, I have read some of the counter arguments but none of them has been effective or logical enough to convince me otherwise.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/78284-algebra-infinite-fundamentalism.html

Islam is a universal concept. There is no room for an individual or group to invent somethong in the name of Islam. It could be possible that some people has started this Shab e barat to cover the real shab e qadr or it may have been a honest mistake. Allah knows it all.

So, people of subcontinent has been observing this as significant night but, since now we know that there is no signifance to this night over any other night then it is the responsibility of all Muslim to accept the truth and forget about the misinformation.

Many scholors has been denouncing shab e barat and told the ummah to observe Shab e qadr but people like you would love to call them Wahabi in a bad manner.

We all pray to Allah and Quran is his words. No scholors or group can overwrite the words of Quran. I notice you have good knowlege of Islam so why are so reluctant to accept the words of Allah(s.w.t)

come to the point.

Are those in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Afghanistan correct in celebrating Shab e Barat?

Are they unIslamic?

No discourse is necessary since this is not a theological forum.

There can be no mistake, honest or otherwise, in Islam (Islam is codified). To state so, indicates a vacillating postulation to please people since it is not comfortable to be straight.

A man was staying in Masjid and Praying all day. Kalifa Omar has noticed that man's unusual behavior, got mad and threw him out of Masjid and told him to get to work.

Islam is way of life and being a good muslim required to work, earn and provide for family. Meanig family life is as important as pray to Allah. Only praying and living on donation is anything but Islamic.

Now, what is this so called mordern day sufi does beside jerk around grave yard and smoke ganja? Absuletly nothing.

I personally do not called Islamic scholor like M Chisti a sufi. All I know he came to sub continent with message of Allah and we pray for his departed soul. May Allah bless them but mordern day ganjakoor sufi needs to be kicedk and force them to get jobs. No space for these haramkoor in our society.I salute maulana for the curage.

Who is M Chisti?

Some bosom chum of yours?

I personally do not called Islamic scholor like M Chishti sufi. All I know he came to sub continent with message of Allah and we pray for his departed soul. May Allah bless them but mordern day ganjakoor sufi needs to be kicedk and force them to get jobs. No space for these haramkoor in our society.I salute maulana for the curage.

Do you even believe anything modern? Or do you know that you leave in the 21st century? Sufi's are the inspiration of the mass conversion of islam in the Bengal. I dont believe, we have converted ourselve to Muslim by the Sufi's free ganja (by your point).

Do you even believe anything modern? Or do you know that you leave in the 21st century? Sufi's are the inspiration of the mass conversion of islam in the Bengal. I dont believe, we have converted ourselve to Muslim by the Sufi's free ganja (by your point).

What is modern about these fakir, beggar, Ganjakoor, haramkoor and lafangas? :tdown:

Do you know what is going on around these grave yards across the country? Do you know what is going on around lalon mela or what ever you want to call it? :undecided:

If you are one of these so called modern people support this pagan activity then you are a supporter of a barbarianism. :azn:

You are not calling me modern because I support Islam. Is it??? :what:

I do not call Islamic scholors like Shah Jalal as sufi. I came from his soul lay. He was a mujahid of din e Islam. So no comparison betwen him and these bloody ganjakoor fakirs. :angry:

I do not think, this is the 1st time Bauls have been attacked in the Mazar of Lalon Shah. Thing is, they usually smoke all those unlawful Ganja, Charash and others. They drink alcohol. But, they do not stop there. They start dancing when they are drunk, and they shout in too loud a voice. General public near the Mazar Sharif dislike them, but, usually, police would not interfere, because it may cause hue and cry.

This may be the reason that they were insulted badlly by the youth. But, it can also be that these youths themselves wanted to share those Ganja, which the Bauls resisted. Anyway, as far as I know, the Bauls there are unruly and they do not go there for love to Lalon Shah. They go there to enjoy time by smoking, drinking and dancing. Can they be called Sufi?

Lolzzzz so they are NOT sufis but dhaba on the name of suifism. if they smoke hash, drink alcohol and get out of control and create public disorder then they are more of violators of law and NOT sufis.

please dont malign the real sufis because they are very poise and clean people not shabby and unwashed.

Sufi singers under assault in Bangladesh

by Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury
April 8, 2011

Twenty-eight followers of Bangladesh's legendary Sufi lyricist and philosopher, Lalon Fakir were physically assaulted and humiliated by a group of radical Islamists in a southern district in Bangladesh on April 6, 2011.

According to media reports, a group of local Islamists attacked the Baul Fair on April 6, 2011 and started physically assaulting the Bauls as well damaged their musical instrument. The group of attackers was mostly from the ruling party in Bangladesh. Later, the attackers cut the Sufi-type long hair of the Bauls and their mustache and drove them to local mosque for offering 'Tauba' [seeking forgiveness from Allah for committing sin]. Those who were victim of the attack are aged above 60 years.

Sufi singers under assault in Bangladesh :: Weekly Blitz

hmmmmmm so ISLAMIC attackers as per the news item were from Ruling party in Bangladesh . And we heard la hasina was removing all Islamic signs from BD

There are not sufis, they are bauls. Bauls are NOT sufis. Get it into your thick skull people!

There are not sufis, they are bauls. Bauls are NOT sufis. Get it into your thick skull people!

Ask bharati members not to portray them as Sufis :)))))))) thats what we are saying they are messy shabby unwashed balus smoking hash and drinking

Ask bharati members not to portray them as Sufis :)))))))) thats what we are saying they are messy shabby unwashed balus smoking hash and drinking

Why the personal attacks, how many of them have you seen personally?

I can hurl more insults to people of your place as well!

Anyway bauls are included to Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom