What's new

Striking at sea: How the Styx strategy paid off

2 Veer class already decommissioned, last two have Kh-35, I think remaining will be decommissioned before or around 2020.
Khukri class won't remain forever, 30 years for sure max 32 years.
Godavari-class already started decommissioning.
I think Rajput-class will start decommission just after last Kolkata-class arrives & remaining will be replaced by P15B, last two Rajput-class already have 8 BrahMos & 4 Styx so that's I think not a problem.
I'm aware of all this, but thanks anyway.

Prahar weights about 1400kg with range of 150km, how much of weight & range do you expect with such design?

Shaurya has a diameter of 0.74m and length of 10m's. At 200 Kg warhead the range is about 1800 kms

Range_Vs_Payload_for_Shaurya_Missile.jpeg

If scaled down to a Brahmos size, 8.4m L x 0.6m Dia, it takes a volumetric reduction of about 55.28%.
At 360 lbs Warhead Shaourya has a strike range of roughly 1450 kms, taking a 55.28% reduction in warhead size and Fuel capacity at reduced size, it still roughly gives you about 200 Kg Warhead at 800 Kms of range. As this calculation is rudimentary and relies on proportionality lets impose another 20% range penalty and you still sit about 640kms, which imo is pretty decent.

Anyways that's just my wish list for a smaller hypersonic land attack quasi ballistic missile for the IN that is UVLM compatible.

I'm aware of all this, but thanks anyway.
Well, for me you know everything as I have limited knowledge about defence but that I posted for person who said Styx is obsolete.
Shaurya has a diameter of 0.74m and length of 10m's. At 200 Kg warhead the range is about 1800 kms

Range_Vs_Payload_for_Shaurya_Missile.jpeg

If scaled down to a Brahmos size, 8.4m L x 0.6m Dia, it takes a volumetric reduction of about 55.28%.
At 360 lbs Warhead Shaourya has a strike range of roughly 1450 kms, taking a 55.28% reduction in warhead size and Fuel capacity at reduced size, it still roughly gives you about 200 Kg Warhead at 800 Kms of range. As this calculation is rudimentary and relies on proportionality lets impose another 20% range penalty and you still sit about 640kms, which imo is pretty decent.

Anyways that's just my wish list for a smaller hypersonic land attack quasi ballistic missile for the IN that is UVLM compatible.
I don't know what is ballistic missile but I was talking about 1400kg supersonic Prahar have range of 150km so will 3000kg hypersonic Shaurya will have range of 640km?
I said I am not an expert but ATACMS have range of 300km weighing about 1650kg.
If your idea becomes successful then that would be great but I don't think NGMV can accommodate that may be need at least 4000 tonnes Frigate for VLS.
Why Rajput class have 1xDhanush missile or that is just for experiment?
@Penguin will you give some idea?

The Osa truly one upped the In. Whereas the PN's subsurface arm has been the edge it could levy in 65.. by 71.. it was the osa and styx that gave the IN that superiority,

I don't recall having ever seen a photo of a Danush missile and launcher on a ship other then the OPV INS Subhadra (P51). Perhaps someone confused P51 and D51 (destroyer INS Rajput)

Well, for me you know everything as I have limited knowledge about defence but that I posted for person who said Styx is obsolete.

I don't know what is ballistic missile but I was talking about 1400kg supersonic Prahar have range of 150km so will 3000kg hypersonic Shaurya will have range of 640km?
I said I am not an expert but ATACMS have range of 300km weighing about 1650kg.
If your idea becomes successful then that would be great but I don't think NGMV can accommodate that may be need at least 4000 tonnes Frigate for VLS.

Disregard the warhead size in both Prahaar and Shourya and consider both of them as cylinder to get an approximate idea of the fuel
Prahaar volume = 3.14 x (0.42)^2 * 7.3 = 4.04712 cu.m
Shourya Volume = 17.21 Cu.m

So by shourya standard, prahaar has about 23.5% of the fuel. from weight perspective , Prahaar is about 20% of Shourya's weight. Given that Prahaar has a a 35km apogee f(x), it would need steeper parabolic path to reach it to travel 150 Kms of it's total range compared to a Shourya which can sweep a much larger distance to reach the F(x) will have a bigger range.

ATACMS = 4.677 cu. m, but with a range of 300kms tells you that the fuel used is of better calorific coef compared to the solid fuel we use.

Back
Top Bottom