What's new

STEEL CUTTING CEREMONY OF 2 LCU AND 2 INLAND CONTAINER VESSELS

by the way, it looks like shakti shanchar can carry tanks inside it and helis on the top. is that how it works? definitely a useful vessel and looks great too. can anyone provide more info on it? ie. armaments, date of deployment, where it is stationed? never heard of this particular lcu[or whatever its called]

Indians have a tendency to underestimate what Bangladesh is capable of building. Our recent shipbuilding history is short, but we are building many ships for use by many sectors. BN will buy two LPCs from China and then build two more LPCs in Khulna with Chinese collaboration.

China wants BD economy and military to keep on developing to its limit. BN is contemplating to build Corvettes and then Frigates sometime in the future when our technicians are capable to handle the difficult tasks of fitting the weapons. Our Shipbuilding industry can build 30,000t ships, whereby a Frigate weighs only 3,000t or less.

However, we cannot build the weapons system for which BD will depend upon China for many years. Rome was not built in a day.

I guess India is jeaous that we are going to have Chinese collaboration to help us build the LCUs LOL

this is a very good view of Shakti Sanchar while on a river cruise with foreign guests.....
it gives a good idea about the size of this 66m LCT.... it is designed to carry 9 tanks.... it can also carry 150 troops....
the helipad can help in quickly putting some troops ashore using small helos (like the Jetranger and Dauphin) to capture a bridgehead in any kind of amphibious or river-crossing operation.... this ship is part of Riverine Engineer Battalion (REB)..... as far as I know, the Army currently has at least 4 such battalions, which greatly increase the mobility of the Army inside the country.... this LCT is not alone..... there are smaller LCVPs as well..... the LCT was made at DEW Narayanganj, while the LCVPs were made at KSY..... more REBs are being raised.....

I highly doubt it will be used to carry tanks, especially 9. That makes it too heavy and a sweet target. Guess APCs can be loaded and with troops for transportation, anything that is more mobile and can be moved in quick time.

The REB information fascinated me. Didnt know we had 4 battalions. Any links? Kindly highlight on their major duties, equipments etc.

I guess India is jeaous that we are going to have Chinese collaboration to help us build the LCUs LOL

Nothing to be jealous man. Even they can build LCUs, may be even better. But the facts proven regarding the helipad on the LCU was important, which some of them disputed.

Cheers!!!

well, the designer company says it can carry 9 tanks and 150 troops..... but it doesn't say whether the tanks are MBTs or not....
Landing Crafts

10th REB is with 98th Composite at Jamuna, 11th is at Postogola (this LCT is part of it probably), 7th is at Kaptai and 5th don't know where..... one more is in the process as said by the PM recently..... don't know a lot about their composition though....

and LCUs and LCTs are different animals..... LCTs are usually larger and can work independently, whereas LCUs are in some cases designed to operate from inside the dock of larger ships (like LSD, LPD, LHD).... and usually LCUs are open-deck crafts, LCTs may not be so.... hence, the helipad is on the LCT.... LCMs and LCVPs are much smaller, supporting these larger landing crafts.... larger ships with beaching capability are the LSTs (e.g. USN Newport-class) and LSLs (e.g. British Round Table-class) .... Polish Ponocny-class are something less than these....

I highly doubt it will be used to carry tanks, especially 9. That makes it too heavy and a sweet target. Guess APCs can be loaded and with troops for transportation, anything that is more mobile and can be moved in quick time.

The REB information fascinated me. Didnt know we had 4 battalions. Any links? Kindly highlight on their major duties, equipments etc.

Nothing to be jealous man. Even they can build LCUs, may be even better. But the facts proven regarding the helipad on the LCU was important, which some of them disputed.

Cheers!!!

Cheers!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/529408_624176554289997_1571297563_n.jpg

About loading 9 or less tanks in the BNS Shakti Shancher. I do not find even a small slot, let alone a hatchback that will be lowered to allow tanks to enter the boat. I believe the boat is for a helicopter and other weapons but not for even a jeep.

Can someone check minutely the photograph posted above and teach me about it?

plz note that there's a massive front ramp in front, which is why it is a beachable landing craft.... only beachable landing crafts or ships (LCT, LCU, LST, LSL) and ships capable of carrying bechable crafts in their docks (LSD, LHD, LHA,LPD) are capable of carrying tanks and other armoured vehicles..... an LPH will not be able to do that, as it can carry helicopters and possibly some small LCVPs/LCMs, which are capable of carrying only troops or small armaments.... LCUs can usually carry tanks, as they have a large-enough front ramp..... BD Army LCVP won't be able to carry a tank, because its front ramp is not wide enough, even if its deck may have enough space for it.... this LCT's (Shakti Sanchar) front ramp is quite wide.... it will be able to take tanks.... 9 or less, not sure though.... that would depend on internal arrangements..... internal width of the ship is usually more than the width of the front ramp.... there's no possibility of a second vehicle deck inside a beachable landing ship, as that would make the ship unstable in water.... the single vehicle deck would be high enough so that water coming in through the front door does not inundate the vehicle deck.... if it does, its doom for the ship.... this is the same theory applied to Roll-on Roll-off ferries (though some car-carrying ro-ro ships have several decks).... they're always a bit vulnerable at sea because of this ramp problem.... water can get in through the ramp....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/529408_624176554289997_1571297563_n.jpg

About loading 9 or less tanks in the BNS Shakti Shancher. I do not find even a small slot, let alone a hatchback that will be lowered to allow tanks to enter the boat. I believe the boat is for a helicopter and other weapons but not for even a jeep.

Can someone check minutely the photograph posted above and teach me about it?

plz note that there's a massive front ramp in front, which is why it is a beachable landing craft.... only beachable landing crafts or ships (LCT, LCU, LST, LSL) and ships capable of carrying bechable crafts in their docks (LSD, LHD, LHA,LPD) are capable of carrying tanks and other armoured vehicles..... an LPH will not be able to do that, as it can carry helicopters and possibly some small LCVPs/LCMs, which are capable of carrying only troops or small armaments.... LCUs can usually carry tanks, as they have a large-enough front ramp..... BD Army LCVP won't be able to carry a tank, because its front ramp is not wide enough, even if its deck may have enough space for it.... this LCT's (Shakti Sanchar) front ramp is quite wide.... it will be able to take tanks.... 9 or less, not sure though.... that would depend on internal arrangements..... internal width of the ship is usually more than the width of the front ramp.... there's no possibility of a second vehicle deck inside a beachable landing ship, as that would make the ship unstable in water.... the single vehicle deck would be high enough so that water coming in through the front door does not inundate the vehicle deck.... if it does, its doom for the ship.... this is the same theory applied to Roll-on Roll-off ferries (though some car-carrying ro-ro ships have several decks).... they're always a bit vulnerable at sea because of this ramp problem.... water can get in through the ramp....

I am not asking for the definitions of LCT or LCVP. I have asked a specific question, I cannot see any ramp in the front. So, I asked how it is possible to load or unload tanks?

I gave a specific answer in the first line.... I can't believe you can see the ship but can't see the ramp....
wrote all those words because you specifically asked to 'teach'.....
if you're looking for a 'hatchback' in a landing craft, I would assume you're not really familiar with amphibious warfare....

I am not asking for the definitions of LCT or LCVP. I have asked a specific question, I cannot see any ramp in the front. So, I asked how it is possible to load or unload tanks?

I gave a specific answer in the first line.... I can't believe you can see the ship but can't see the ramp....
wrote all those words because you specifically asked to 'teach'.....
if you're looking for a 'hatchback' in a landing craft, I would assume you're not really familiar with amphibious warfare....

I think, you are unnecessarily getting angry with me. Why you become unnerved I do not know, but click the link in post #50 and look at the photograph. It shows front or back, I do not know, but, it shows no ramp.

Did I ever say that I am a master of amphibious wars? Unlike you and many other posters I am here to learn on many things. This is why I ask questions. And this is a discussion forum, isn't it?

However, the picture in the link below shows the ramp. I got it from Post #24 that gives all other details of the LCU, Shakti Shanchar. It also says it can carry 9 tanks. I have no questions any more because post #24 gave my answer.

I am not certainly familiar with the amphibious war, but I know even in the middle ages the maritime nations like Spain, England or France used to have ramps in their large rowing boats, frigates or corvettes in order to allow the infantry fighters to come down straight on the sea shores without jumping from the sides. Some of the rowing boats would even carry horses.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33k3gjs.jpg

sorry if I sounded too harsh.... but a ramp in a landing craft is as obvious as wings on a plane; so, I really thought you were arguing for argument's sake.... good to know that you got this now.....
and plz call this Shakti Sanchar an LCT, not an LCU to keep the foreign trollers at bay.... they would be very harsh on anything less than fully informed..... our country's image should take priority here.... amphibious warfare is of special interest to me, which is why I get myself drawn in there..... sorry for any misunderstanding.....

I think, you are unnecessarily getting angry with me. Why you become unnerved I do not know, but click the link in post #50 and look at the photograph. It shows front or back, I do not know, but, it shows no ramp.

Did I ever say that I am a master of amphibious wars? Unlike you and many other posters I am here to learn on many things. This is why I ask questions. And this is a discussion forum, isn't it?

However, the picture in the link below shows the ramp. I got it from Post #24 that gives all other details of the LCU, Shakti Shanchar. It also says it can carry 9 tanks. I have no questions any more because post #24 gave my answer.

I am not certainly familiar with the amphibious war, but I know even in the middle ages the maritime nations like Spain, England or France used to have ramps in their large rowing boats, frigates or corvettes in order to allow the infantry fighters to come down straight on the sea shores without jumping from the sides. Some of the rowing boats would even carry horses.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33k3gjs.jpg

sorry if I sounded too harsh.... but a ramp in a landing craft is as obvious as wings on a plane; so, I really thought you were arguing for argument's sake.... good to know that you got this now.....
and plz call this Shakti Sanchar an LCT, not an LCU to keep the foreign trollers at bay.... they would be very harsh on anything less than fully informed..... our country's image should take priority here.... amphibious warfare is of special interest to me, which is why I get myself drawn in there..... sorry for any misunderstanding.....

The thread title is about two units of LCU (Landing Craft Utility) to be built by BN, and it is not really about Shakti Shanchar, which is an LCT.

The name of Shakti Shanchar came at some point during the course of discussion between @Roybot and @BDforever. However, Shakti Shanchar is certainly an LCT (Landing Craft Tank) because it is supposed to carry 9 tanks aboard it.

Last edited by a moderator:
India's shipbuilding sector is quite commendable actually. I think we will reach that level by the end of this decade. time to start tank production and light aircraft development too.

I've never seen india's name as shipbuilding expert in the same row with Japan, China, Korea in int'l media. Being ahead of us doesn't mean they are on the 1st row. If we want to reach a level, we'll follow China, Japan, Korea...why india? It's not only for shipbuilding, for anything we could follow or set milestone seeing Japan, China, Korea, Malaysia....they've set some tracks for developing nations to follow.

I've never seen india's name as shipbuilding expert in the same row with Japan, China, Korea in int'l media. Being ahead of us doesn't mean they are on the 1st row. If we want to reach a level, we'll follow China, Japan, Korea...why india? It's not only for shipbuilding, for anything we could follow or set milestone seeing Japan, China, Korea, Malaysia....they've set some tracks for developing nations to follow.

i was speaking of their frigates/corvettes/other naval vassals only. those babies look good. reaching the position of the ones you mentioned would require a good 2 decades least and that too considering we progress well

Back
Top Bottom