What's new

State Department Reprimanded Pakistan for Misusing F-16s, Document Shows

Guys, guys, guys, try to understand the contents of the subject. It has nothing to do how and where the PAF uses the F-16s, there are no restrictions whatsoever on PAF F-16s. however, the Americans are keen to keep the Block-52s undercover and guard their technology jealously and the whole issue concerns them as i have disclosed before that No 5 Squadron was moved out of Shahbaz and deployed elsewhere during the height of hostilities hence US showed concerns.

''Addressed to the head of the Pakistani air force, Air Chief Marshal Mujahid Anwar Khan, the letter began by relaying the State Department's confirmation that Pakistan had moved the F-16s and accompanying American-made missiles to unapproved forward operating bases in defiance of its agreement with the U.S.''

ok bro, i am just telling him this thread is not for that, no hard feeling bro
No haed feelings.

But its soooo old now. It isn't even funny anymore.
There are countless threads on Quora on the same topic and is filled crazy theories from Indians.

Ohhh man on Feb 27 they were dead sure that US will render the F-16s useless.

Is this authentic? Quite possibly a load of Crap, what the **** are the F-16's for if not to defend Pakistan against Indian Aggression??

Looks like US news got paid to publish some unofficial lame diplomatic corespondent to clam down Indian tits. My 2 cents, after months of lobbying, Indian got this BS response from US and they decided to find someone to publish it.
US news is lame BS publication, good for searching School ratings and stuff.

This thread is not for likening or hate the pics did you read the article:crazy::crazy:

Yep, read it earlier even before it was posted here on PDF. The picture is part of the OP content so I just expressed my feelings about that.

Brilliant & Fascinating choice of words.

Perhaps a stroll down GHQ & sharing your thoughts will do wonders for your.

Good Luck.

Well put. And before any other one could pick it up, India Today ran the story early morning.

Really? Okay, i'm not sure how you came to that conclusion...

Regardless of what you & I think - our opinions and/or advice won't be taken by the Military Heads. And i'm certain they know whats good for their respective forces (Army, Navy and Air Force) - better than you or I.

As for the 'F-16 Saga'... Do you need to be reminded that today you're on your high horse speaking of the events in February because of that very equipment. Now the Thunders may have gotten a Lock/Tone on a number of IAF intruders, but not a single SD-10 was launched. Had the F-16 not been in our inventory, we'd be seeing more Balakots through out the year.

The enemy knows what to fear. And the fear of God has gone to their heads (-courtesy of the Vipers).

Yeah, the JF-17 is a great jet & the Block III will boost our Air Force, but there is no doubt the backbone is still the Fighting Falcon.

That being said, we shouldn't stop developing or producing the JF-17.

As for Project AZM. I stay far away from that topic altogether.
And I suppose you have full access to policies of pakistan....jog on mr perfect

Guys, guys, guys, try to understand the contents of the subject. It has nothing to do how and where the PAF uses the F-16s, there are no restrictions whatsoever on PAF F-16s. however, the Americans are keen to keep the Block-52s undercover and guard their technology jealously and the whole issue concerns them as i have disclosed before that No 5 Squadron was moved out of Shahbaz and deployed elsewhere during the height of hostilities hence US showed concerns.

''Addressed to the head of the Pakistani air force, Air Chief Marshal Mujahid Anwar Khan, the letter began by relaying the State Department's confirmation that Pakistan had moved the F-16s and accompanying American-made missiles to unapproved forward operating bases in defiance of its agreement with the U.S.''
No.5 have been moving around regularly, but it is just the Indian episode has made headlines to get some articles out.

What surprises me is after all this blackmailing from muricans some people still are talking about Block 70s and V-updates. The nations die for their honour. We have somehow learnt to live without it. I have put it earlier as well; a relatively inferior weapon with a reliable supply chain is better than having a superior weapon with an unreliable supply chain.
Yes....I remember 160 odd pages of rubbish

... warned the Pakistanis that their behavior risked allowing these weapons to fall into the hands of malign actors and "could undermine our shared security platforms and infrastructures."

... "relocated, maintained and operated" the American made F-16s and the AMRAAM missiles they use from forward operating bases not approved under the original terms of the sale.

"While we understand from you that these aircraft movements were done in support of national defense objectives," Thompson wrote in the letter, "the U.S. government considers the relocation of aircraft to non-U.S. government authorized bases concerning and inconsistent with the F-16 Letter of Offer and Acceptance."

"Such actions could subject sensitive U.S.-technologies to diversion to or access by third parties, and could undermine our shared security platforms and infrastructures," Thompson wrote.

"This proposed sale will support the foreign policy and national security of the United States by protecting U.S. technology through the continued presence of U.S. personnel that provide 24/7 end-use monitoring," the agency wrote in a statement announcing the renewed contract, which must receive congressional approval.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-r...n-in-august-for-misusing-f-16s-document-shows

Americans think we are stupid? :)

At times, diplomatic cables and letters have multiple meanings to them; at times, you need to read between the lines; and, at times, you get pages full of words that say just about nothing. Though this is not the actual letter but a news report on it, it nonetheless seems to be the case of "at times".

Letter appears less to allay concerns of India and more out of a genuine (subjective) review of the agreement on F-16s. However, the major problem does not appear to be the use of F-16s and AMRAAMs against India but the way they were used, i.e., their deployment to forward bases, away from the agreed bases where the US inspectors are stationed. The Congressional concern prior to the sales of F-16s to Pakistan was the possibility of Pakistan giving access to the technology to the Chinese. Thus, specific base/bases were agreed upon where the items would be stationed alongside US inspectors. In which case, moving these items away from agreed base/bases could be deemed as a violation. Had the aircraft returned back to their agreed upon base(s) after the sorties it might not have been much of a problem.

I am forgetting the source, but Bush Admin official(s) or perhaps President Bush himself (in his book?), stated that though F-16s and AMRAAMs were sold to Pakistan on the pretense of operations against Non-State Actors (NSA)/Taliban the jets and missiles were actually intended to strengthen Pakistan's conventional capability (against India) and reduce the possibility of nuclear war. After all, AMRAAMs were useless against NSA/Taliban. In essence, the US Congress knew about it but just needed a valid reason to do away with Pressler's Amendment and approve the sales. Unlike Pakistan or even India, the US Congress does actually seeks valid reason to make or break a legislative law, even if the intended objective of the Presidential Administration is different from the stated objective and is very much apparent. The contours of letter in question does allude that Pakistan could use the jets and missiles for its national security, even against India, so long the jets and missiles operate from the agreed upon base(s).

Additionally, sending letter to the PAF chief means it was sort of an informal reminder, though not to be taken lightly.

Last edited:

Bro as war is imposed surely then the assets under control are free to move wherever they deem necessary. This news will be alarming in military circles. Uncle sam is exercising too much control and will impact its future sales globally

Back
Top Bottom