What's new

Sri Lanka imposes curfew after Buddhist-Muslim clashes

Sri Lanka imposes curfew after Buddhist-Muslim clashes
_75544335_mayday129.jpg

Clashes broke out as Buddhists marched into Muslim populated area. The Sri Lankan authorities have imposed a curfew on two southern towns to quell clashes between a hardline Buddhist group and Muslims. The latest violence began after a Buddhist rally in Aluthgama. Several people are reported to have been injured, shops burned and stones thrown at Buddhist marchers there.

The curfew was later extended to include mainly Muslim Beruwala. Muslims make up around 10% of Sri Lanka's predominantly Buddhist population. Eyewitness accounts tell of Muslims being pulled off local buses and beaten. There are also reports of looting.

_75544439_mayday124.jpg

The rally by the Buddhist BBS took place in Aluthgama. The clashes are said to have begun after the rally held by the BBS, the Bodu Bala Sena, or Buddhist Brigade. The gathering came three days after a smaller clash between Muslim youths and a Buddhist monk's driver.

'Act in restraint'

After its rally, the BBS marched into Muslim areas chanting anti-Muslim slogans, reports say, and the police used tear gas to quell the violence. Unconfirmed reports say security forces also used gunfire. Witnesses say Muslim homes and a mosque were stoned. The situation is confusing and there is an air of danger as violence has spread to several areas, a BBC reporter in Aluthgama says.

_75544438_mayday121.jpg

Some pro-Buddhist organisations oppose what they see as undue minority influence on government. Sri Lankan media appear to have decided not to report the violence, with sources saying outlets have received "orders from above".

President Mahinda Rajapaksa has announced an investigation.

"The government will not allow anyone to take the law into their own hands. I urge all parties concerned to act in restraint," he tweeted. Correspondents say tension has recently been high between the two sides, with Muslims calling on the government to protect them from Buddhist-inspired hate attacks, and Buddhist accusing minorities of enjoying too much influence.

BBC News - Sri Lanka imposes curfew after Buddhist-Muslim clashes

@Azizam , look what the ahimsa loving monks are doing [ or people disguising as monks ]

@Always Neutral . look at these peaceful monks. Is this what Budhism teaches? I don't think so

I won't comment on whether Sri Lanka should or should not ban it (I shouldn't have commented on it before when I did) because I have no basis to comment on the internal affairs of a sovereign country !

However I don't think it serves as a social barrier or breeds anti-social behavior of any kind - I don't think a piece of clothing commands that kind of power; besides there are plenty of socially active women in the world who dress up like that !

I don't like it because I don't think its sanctioned by Islam but if a woman is comfortable with it - Fine by all means wear it !
Yes it does servers an obstacle and part of the reason what's happening to Pakistan is because you allow this culture to spread. These are no mainstream socially active women who wear this dress except for few media sensations that you see on news and YouTube. This dress is an active element of Wahabbism, do you agree or not? If yes then why should we tolerate it?

@Azizam , look what the ahimsa loving monks are doing [ or people disguising as monks ]

@Always Neutral . look at these peaceful monks. Is this what Budhism teaches? I don't think so
Dude I don't give a **** about those monks. **** those monks. I don't care. And please don't preach us what's peaceful or not.

Dude no right thinking Lankan will agree to whats happening by some fringe extremist elements in our country.. I dont think anybody else need to reemphasize that to any of us

Yes it does servers an obstacle and part of the reason what's happening to Pakistan is because you allow this culture to spread. These are no mainstream socially active women who wear this dress except for few media sensations that you see on news and YouTube. This dress is an active element of Wahabbism, do you agree or not? If yes then why should we tolerate it?

How can a piece of clothing serve as an obstacle to anything remains incomprehensible to me; just as I don't opine that a bikini clad woman serves as a beacon of promiscuity I don't opine that a niqab clad woman serves as an example of anti-social behavior that serves as an active ingredient for violence - Let them wear what they please !

And yes there are mainstream women who wear them - Quite a few in Muslim majority countries even a few odd Parliamentarians of Pakistan do so despite most Muslim women not wearing a niqab, a burqa or a hijab or anything similar !

I say let the women wear what makes them comfortable; some maybe comfortable wearing minimal clothing whereas others may wish to wear something else - To each his own !

And the reasoning behind what is happening to Pakistan is extremely multi-faceted & I don't think that dress-codes played much part in that...its more because of politics & social retardation in terms of tolerance more than anything else !

No I don't agree that its an active part of Wahabism & whereas I don't belong to that sect....I don't always agree with the way they're demonized - They're no better or worse than anyone else....they may have extremist elements in them like others do but I don't think they've got a monopoly on extremism by a long-shot !

How can a piece of clothing serve as an obstacle to anything remains incomprehensible to me; just as I don't opine that a bikini clad woman serves as a beacon of promiscuity I don't opine that a niqab clad woman serves as an example of anti-social behavior that serves as an active ingredient for violence - Let them wear what they please !

And yes there are mainstream women who wear them - Quite a few in Muslim majority countries even a few odd Parliamentarians of Pakistan do so despite most Muslim women not wearing a niqab, a burqa or a hijab or anything similar !

I say let the women wear what makes them comfortable; some maybe comfortable wearing minimal clothing whereas others may wish to wear something else - To each his own !

And the reasoning behind what is happening to Pakistan is extremely multi-faceted & I don't think that dress-codes played much part in that...its more because of politics & social retardation in terms of tolerance more than anything else !

No I don't agree that its an active part of Wahabism & whereas I don't belong to that sect....I don't always agree with the way they're demonized - They're no better or worse than anyone else....they may have extremist elements in them like others do but I don't think they've got a monopoly on extremism by a long-shot !
Whether you agree or not those people are an obvious threat to national security. I saw few Iranian members explaining it in detail.

I don't get why most Pakistanis try to defend this dress. I just want to see a country with no religious backwardness and that includes not having to see any Burqas or retarded screaming monks. Besides, this world is not a place where you can do whatever you want. Do you really jump into defend people who don't want to wear Hijab in countries where it is a rule to wear with the same spirit? So far I haven't seen it.

Anyway, I think it's a pointless discussion for me.

Whether you agree or not those people are an obvious threat to national security. I saw few Iranian members explaining it in detail.

I don't get why most Pakistanis try to defend this dress. I just want to see a country with no religious backwardness and that includes not having to see any Burqas or retarded screaming monks. Besides, this world is not a place where you can do whatever you want. Do you really jump into defend people who don't want to wear Hijab in countries where it is a rule to wear with the same spirit? So far I haven't seen it.

Anyway, I think it's a pointless discussion for me.

A few Iranian members...you say ? Gosh you need to learn more about the dynamics about the Muslim World - Iranians & the Arabs are like Stalin & Hitler extolling the moral rightness of their respective stances while condemning the other !

So far as I know of the 50 or so Muslim Majority Countries only Iran & KSA have some sort of hijab wearing rule - How many times must we talk about their less-than-healthy influence on much of the Muslim World before our spirits get similarly heard !

Brother, to each his own - Let the Monks wear what they want, let the Hijab wearers wear what they & let the rest of us live our lives the way we wish it - Thats what I'd want in Pakistan !

So far as Sri Lanka is concerned - Your country....your laws - End of Story !

Now tell me who are you supporting in the world cup ? :azn:

Do we now await with bated breath the shenanigans of General Hafiz Saeed that he will send his LeT fighters to protect the Muslims against the 'atrocities' being committed by the Sri Lankans? When will he be sending his bearded yahoos to prevent the 'genocide'?

Do we now await with bated breath the shenanigans of General Hafiz Saeed that he will send his LeT fighters to protect the Muslims against the 'atrocities' being committed by the Sri Lankans? When will he be sending his bearded yahoos to prevent the 'genocide'?

Sri Lanka, Myanmar etc are too isolated from the major muslim populations, that affords them a degree of protection from slaughter

Sri Lanka, Myanmar etc are too isolated from the major muslim populations, that affords them a degree of protection from slaughter

hahah talking while hiding in UK. Coward.

A few Iranian members...you say ? Gosh you need to learn more about the dynamics about the Muslim World - Iranians & the Arabs are like Stalin & Hitler extolling the moral rightness of their respective stances while condemning the other !

So far as I know of the 50 or so Muslim Majority Countries only Iran & KSA have some sort of hijab wearing rule - How many times must we talk about their less-than-healthy influence on much of the Muslim World before our spirits get similarly heard !

Brother, to each his own - Let the Monks wear what they want, let the Hijab wearers wear what they & let the rest of us live our lives the way we wish it - Thats what I'd want in Pakistan !

So far as Sri Lanka is concerned - Your country....your laws - End of Story !

Now tell me who are you supporting in the world cup ? :azn:
I don't watch world cup. Too much work to do and no time to rest. I am here on PDF to blow off some steam from stress. :D

What are you talking about you kala monkey,

Look around the world, the likes of Taliban or ISIS,,, Sri Lanka is a isolated island as a result its very difficult for these groups to get to sri lanka to cause chaos
Watch your mouth terrorist retard. Running your big mouth while living in UK. Kala monkey? haha Islamist being a racist. No wonder. As I've once explained these terrorists should be used for biological experiments (artificial organ transplanting etc.)

Watch your mouth terrorist retard. Running your big mouth while living in UK. Kala monkey? haha Islamist being a racist. No wonder. As I've once explained these terrorists should be used for biological experiments (artificial organ transplanting etc.)
Dont bother with him, he is a worshipper of Sir Anjem Choudhary living on dole in the U.K :D

Back
Top Bottom