What's new

special on woman's day......an untold story on Indian woman....

Dem!god

Reaction score
Country
India
1888786_722313907800218_295699508_o.jpg

US First Lady Michelle Obama has felicitated Indian acid attack victim Laxmi after she won the International Women of Courage Award for successfully leading the campaign against acid attacks on women in India.

Instead of hiding her disfigured face "she became the standard-bearer in India for the movement to end acid attacks," Higginbottom said, adding she had managed to win over the Supreme Court to regulate the sales of acid.In a moving moment,smiling broadly Laxmi read aloud her first poem at the ceremony defiantly telling her attacker "you will hear and you will be told, that the face you burned is the face I love now."You will hear about me in the darkness of confinement. The time will be a burden for you, when you will know that I am alive, free and thriving and living my dreams."

"You hold the acid that charred my dreams. You will hear and you will be told that the face you burned is the face I love now. You will hear about me in the darkness of confinement."

"You haven't thrown acid on my face; you threw it on my dreams. You didn't have love in your heart; you had acid in it," Laxmi recited soon after receiving the prestigious award along with several other women from different parts of the world including Afghanistan and Fiji.
The original poem was in Hindi. Laxmi was 16 when an acquaintance threw acid on her face while she waited at a bus stop in New Delhi's busy Khan Market in 2005, disfiguring her permanently.Her attacker, a friend's 32-year-old brother, threw the acid to destroy Laxmi's face after she refused to respond to his romantic advances.

Kanpur-based social activist Alok Dixit, 25, who runs a campaign on the social media against acid attacks, Spot of Shame, said he was bowled over by Laxmi’s spirit has found a partner for life.

@levina @chak de INDIA @Parul @Indischer @cheekybird @thesolar65 @DRAY @scorpionx

@SpArK

We need very strict laws and fasttrack courts to deal with this menace, one good development in my state is that the strong acids have been banned from selling in the shops, only a much lighter version is available for toilet cleaning purpose which will not burn or melt the skin like that, I think this has been implemented all across the country.

Back
Top Bottom