What's new

Solar Panels for homes in Pakistan

June 14, 2012

Scorching idea brings cooling costs down to zero

Dubai-based Briton installs solar-driven chiller to power his villa after service provider disconnects his district cooling

In a city where residents are at their wits end over high district cooling bills, a Jumeirah Islands villa owner doesn’t pay anything. 
“My district cooling bill is zero,” says Briton Tony Caden, 60, who has installed 38 roof-top solar panels and a 20-tonne chiller at his four-bedroom villa to generate his own power. Caden said he decided to look for an alternative source of power when the service provider disconnected his district cooling in January.

“I got a new contract and found that the district cooling rates had doubled. When I refused to sign they disconnected my district cooling, so I decided to get my own chiller,” said the businessman.

Caden bought the solar panels and chiller unit from a UK company. It set him back by Dh177,000 but he is not complaning. Understandably so.

The solar panels generate 60 kW/h daily. That’s nearly 30 per cent of the 212kW/h he consumes every day. The Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (Dewa) makes up the rest.

“Last year my utility bill was Dh38,000. Of this, Dh30,000 was for district cooling alone. This year I have no district cooling charges. Even if my Dewa bills double I will still be saving around Dh22,000.

HOW IT WORKS

“The power from solar panels goes to the inverter which converts it into AC electric power for the villa. The invertors have a special software that ensures it doesn’t interfere with Dewa grids. There are only three companies in the world which can do this and this panel is from one of them. And the best thing about them is that they don’t affect community regulations,” said Caden.

“The master-community plan does not allow any facial changes to the villa. The panels are well concealed and do not affect the aesthetics of the villa in any way.”

According to Caden, not everyone can benefit from this alternative power source. “One has to have a roof-top to fit the panels. The flatter the roof, the more panels it can accomodate. I used as much of the empty spaces on my roof and garage ceiling to fit the panels.

Capital Investment

Caden said the self-sustaining system has increased the value of his villa. “Currently it’s priced around Dh6 million. If I sell it, I’ll add the cost of my investments.”

Any takers?

139386399.JPG

SELF SUSTAINING: Tony Caden with the 20-tonne chiller at his Jumeirah Islands home

--------

1341039823.JPG

Tony Caden is completely independent of dewa and district cooling because of solar panels he has instaled on his villas roof in jumeirah islands

--------

4258167007.JPG

Solar panels on the roof of Caden’s four bedroom villa

--------

892270511.JPG

Tony Caden decided to look for an alternative source of power when he found the district cooling charges had doubled.

gulfnews : Scorching idea brings cooling costs down to zero

Sadly if you go for cheap product the word to mouth will fail and your business will suffer and there is unknown element about taxes on pannels when you bring them into Pakistan

SOLAR PANNEL OUT PUT IS THE MAIN KEY .. you can install any panel unless it is some of the latest ones from big companies
and capacity

i see laods and loads of shops retailing solar panels , mini wind turbines in Karachis saddar (electronic Bazzar)

You mean 2500 - 3000W.You can buy panels from China which carry a 25 years production warranty.

oh yes- lol.. sorry for the mistake...

so far as I have searched out the market- none was giving more than 5 years of maintenance

I have friend who was constructing a house and he thought solar panel would be good Idea.... The price told to him was above 1.2 Million Rupees. And 10 year warranty......His usual electricity bill is 2500 to 3000 or maximum 5000 Rupees..... And he concluded solar panel are way to expensive way to get electricity......

I have friend who was constructing a house and he thought solar panel would be good Idea.... The price told to him was above 1.2 Million Rupees. And 10 year warranty......His usual electricity bill is 2500 to 3000 or maximum 5000 Rupees..... And he concluded solar panel are way to expensive way to get electricity......

anyone in the army or any service men can get it custom free then its very cost effective and hustle free.

anyone in the army or any service men can get it custom free then its very cost effective and hustle free.

Issue is not the energy but willingness... there are 1000s of way to generate energy and fullfill People needs but our Bloody Leaders are A*****es. Any how back to the topic, well I disagree with many people here who are thinking about Solar Panels a complete Electricity solutions. They are way to expensive for the houses... So, best thing is get compromise with energy crisis and Install solar panels and change wiring and use Solar panel only for lights and fans only. Water Pump can also be accommodated but other then these Solar panels are not good topic to even discuss. I think "parabolic trough solar thermal" Is cheaper and easier way to generate energy for daily use. Requirement is same, but solar panel use charge particles while parabolic through uses Heat to generate the energy..

oh yes- lol.. sorry for the mistake...

so far as I have searched out the market- none was giving more than 5 years of maintenance
You have to pay for the maintenance contract.I was talking about the Efficiency warranty for a period of time.
Suntech Warranty

I have seen few people using system from ABB and other Indian companies.
offgrid-solar-hybrid-inverter_clip_image002.jpg

In India you can get subsidy of around 30% for solar panels from the Govt

In India you can get subsidy of around 30% for solar panels from the Govt

Punjab government has also developed a model village, completely lit with solar panels-

I think this system should be encouraged in our region-where sun light is available most of the day.

You have to pay for the maintenance contract.I was talking about the Efficiency warranty for a period of time.

I have seen few people using system from ABB and other Indian companies.

the company representative that I talked to said that the panel cells deteriorate after 4-5 years of usage.

the government doesnot support these solutions as WAPDA is a government institution.

One of my buddy conducted a research on this , We were doing some of our entrepreneurship stuff so he made the feasibility report of carrying out such business in Pakistan and the detailed information regarding the suppliers and existing companies, also he had undergone the per-forma sheets

And yes you are right there are very few companies in the country and the trend is also not widely famous across the country

My father belongs to engineering background so he told me once that to set-up an imported system for a single avg sized house costs around 100,000 , he was talking about the systems available in Saudi Arabia though . But the cost can vary if someone can find a better supplier also the quality and brand can definitely fluctuate the stated price. If someone buys in bulk that surely can bring the price down but it can be done only at bigger level
Okay ask ure dad how many KWatts that system is gonna supply???
cuz the avg house consumption is around 3-4KWatts excluding airconditioners.......
if it can provide upto 3-4Kwatts then I gonna buy as many solar systems for the price of 100,000Rs as U want me to buy.....its great then as U wrote above.......But I guess U are mistaken in ure price tag.....confirm it for me alongwith the output energy.......okay and let us know . Get help from ure dad......:smokin:

cuz the avg house consumption is around 3-4KWatts excluding airconditioners.......
if it can provide upto 3-4Kwatts then I gonna buy as many solar systems for the price of 100,000Rs as U want me to buy.....its great then as U wrote above.......But I guess U are mistaken in ure price tag.....confirm it for me alongwith the output energy.......okay and let us know . Get help from ure dad......:smokin:

for 500W it can cost upto 250k. Also, for Solar energy proper consumption you need to get DC LEDs and DC Fans and DC Water Pump. And Solar Energy is not like ok I want to buy .. and someone come and fix it, you required the proper planning. For Water Heating system in winter you can use solar geezers. LG has launched solar AC's but still not available in Pakistan. Similarly yfor fridge you may require more energy. But you can still use your Laptop or LCD TV ...

Punjab government has also developed a model village, completely lit with solar panels-

I think this system should be encouraged in our region-where sun light is available most of the day.

the company representative that I talked to said that the panel cells deteriorate after 4-5 years of usage.

the government doesnot support these solutions as WAPDA is a government institution.
The typical life of a PV panel is 30 years but but the industry standard is >1% decrease in efficiency each year.Solar panel manufacturers test their panels under a process called Accelerated Ageing Test (Standardised by IEC and UL standards).

Last edited by a moderator:

As i mentioned earlier that it was as a generator and ups alternative not a complete alternative for electricity

Also i was talking about the cost that is incurred with respect to Saudi Arabia , i dont know if there are subsidies there or not and whether the subsidy is included or not in this price, like in india as a guy mentioned the subsidy is 30% .

And when you tend to purchase in bulk it always reduces the price per unit by a decent margin

You quoted my post bolded the part but didn't care to read the next line to the bold part

One of my buddy conducted a research on this , We were doing some of our entrepreneurship stuff so he made the feasibility report of carrying out such business in Pakistan and the detailed information regarding the suppliers and existing companies, also he had undergone the per-forma sheets

And yes you are right there are very few companies in the country and the trend is also not widely famous across the country

My father belongs to engineering background so he told me once that to set-up an imported system for a single avg sized house costs around 100,000 , he was talking about the systems available in Saudi Arabia though . But the cost can vary if someone can find a better supplier also the quality and brand can definitely fluctuate the stated price. If someone buys in bulk that surely can bring the price down but it can be done only at bigger level

Here is my post and the consumption list for 1kw solar panel

And by the way these solar panels i was talking about are an alternative to generators or ups systems used during load-shedding hours, so why need to run AC on that ? Plus various companies are offering warranty duration upto 25 years as well

1KW system is good enough to run

5 energy savers 9 hours on trot a day
3 ceiling fans 11 hours on trot a day
21 inch TV for 6 hours on trot
Dekstop computer 4 hours on trot
1 exhaust fan 3 hours on trot
Cell phone charger 4hours on trot

Here you can find more detail

Solar PV Panel | Affordable Solar Power Systems, Solar Power for Homes | Solar Power System in Pakistan

here are prices, though not a Pakistani or Saudi supplier , but still may help

http://rajelectronics.tradeindia.com/solar-power-packs-409842.html

KWSB to install solar power plants at pumping stations

KARACHI: The Karachi Water & Sewerage Board (KWSB) has started its project of installing solar power plants at pumping stations to become self-dependent for supply of uninterrupted electricity and ensure required water supply to the citizens.

For this purpose, the KWSB has initiated negotiating with a Chinese company CEEGE Solar Energy Research firm.

The head of company, Yuming Sun, accompanied by Violet Rong, Chang Lee, Wong Lee and Habel Ahmed Khan of France Track Pakistan, visited the head offices of KWSB and held meeting with MD Misbahuddin Farid.

MDKWSB asked the Chinese officials to submit the proposal. The delegation was briefed about the capacity of different pumping stations. They informed that Dhabeji pumping station was one of the biggest pumping stations of world and needed high power to run. ppi

Back
Top Bottom