What's new

Software Engineers Thread.

As far financial modelling is concerned, both in the City and Wall Street, people use C++, Excel VBA, R, Python, and Matlab; however Excel VBA and C++ outstrip other by a long distance. Of late Python is gaining some ground.

which two OS? If you already have windows and want to try linux, try Ubuntu, its easy to install. While installing it will ask whether you want it side by side with existing OS, select that option. No need to do partition stuff yourself.
Make sure you got free space in your HDD. :)
if he can use this form than he can definitely boot his system:smokin:

if he can use this form than he can definitely boot his system:smokin:

No, I guess I should give a bit more detailed steps.

yo @danish falcon... if the links above are too confusing then please follow these steps.

What you need
1. A computer with Windows 7 (you have it already)
2. A pen drive (backup data from pen drive, as it will be erased)

Preparation

1. Download ubuntu image from here
Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu
Choose 12.04LTS. If you dont know whether your computer is 32 or 64 bit, then download 32 bit ubuntu. It will still work.
2. Download and install Linux live USB creator software
Get the software from here and install it.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download
3. Write image downloaded in step 1 onto USB/pen drive
warning: Data in pen drive will be erased.
Insert the usb stick. Use the lili software (in step 2) to write image onto USB stick.
3. Shutdown windows 7

Installation:

1. Insert the USB/Pen drive
2. Start computer, make sure it boots from USB/Pen drive not from hard drive. If you see windows is starting then it is booring from hard drive. In that case restart the machine and go to boot menu (usually F2 or F8 or F12 key depending on your bios) to select boot device
3. Now you can use the USB drive linux without installing it on hard drive. Start using ubuntu from USB drive first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Java scripting.

JS....u r living in which world? What you are going to do/achieve by simply doing some JS scripting? Even we have almost replaced JS with JQuery(lib of JS)...and that too only Jr Developers use it...there is lot behind a complex and business critical application...But yes, I do accept that JQuery is still the best when working with multi browser compatibility issues of UI.

JS....u r living in which world? What you are going to do/achieve by simply doing some JS scripting? Even we have almost replaced JS with JQuery(lib of JS)...and that too only Jr Developers use it...there is lot behind a complex and business critical application...But yes, I do accept that JQuery is still the best when working with multi browser compatibility issues of UI.

Fine if you are working on .Net then it is the one in demand. Thanks for opening my eye Sir.

have an undergrad in CSE

Wish to return back to programming on a limited basis.

Have to get good with C++, Javascript and PHP.

=-
Fine if you are working on .Net then it is the one in demand. Thanks for opening my eye Sir.

Dude, my intention was not to hurt you....may be your perception was right at your position and at my position I have completely different perception about the software engineering and the technology in demand… I look up to them from business and customer point of view, where we are expected to provide complete end to end solution using the best tech…

Even if its .Net, JS/JQuery is an integral part of it….you cant develop a good web based application using .NET if you don’t use JS/JQuery.

So if I say .NET is in demand, it mean including many other technologies that .net supports including your JS :cheers:

=-

Dude, my intention was not to hurt you....may be your perception was right at your position and at my position I have completely different perception about the software engineering and the technology in demand… I look up to them from business and customer point of view, where we are expected to provide complete end to end solution using the best tech…

Even if its .Net, JS/JQuery is an integral part of it….you cant develop a good web based application using .NET if you don’t use JS/JQuery.

So if I say .NET is in demand, it mean including many other technologies that .net supports including your JS :cheers:

.NET technologies, e.g. C# are highly in demand these days. Java is always in high demand, and that's still true today.

I think people overemphasize the programming language though. The core competencies that a programmer has to have are important programming concepts, e.g. concepts of object oriented programming, designing product with an architecture that is easy for everyone to understand, that is modular with low coupling, understanding security, know common design patterns, able to utilize common development pieces like multi threading and database, etc. Moving from one technology to another is usually a piece of cake. I know Java, C++, C#, C, Python, PHP, but I can tell you that if you were to ask me to program in another mainstream language, I can get a decent understanding of that language within a week to be able to start programming in it at at least in intermediate level, if not advanced. That's what we need in programmers, not worrying about which technology is in demand.

No, I guess I should give a bit more detailed steps.

yo @danish falcon... if the links above are too confusing then please follow these steps.

What you need
1. A computer with Windows 7 (you have it already)
2. A pen drive (backup data from pen drive, as it will be erased)

Preparation

1. Download ubuntu image from here
Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu
Choose 12.04LTS. If you dont know whether your computer is 32 or 64 bit, then download 32 bit ubuntu. It will still work.
2. Download and install Linux live USB creator software
Get the software from here and install it.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download
3. Write image downloaded in step 1 onto USB/pen drive
warning: Data in pen drive will be erased.
Insert the usb stick. Use the lili software (in step 2) to write image onto USB stick.
3. Shutdown windows 7

Installation:

1. Insert the USB/Pen drive
2. Start computer, make sure it boots from USB/Pen drive not from hard drive. If you see windows is starting then it is booring from hard drive. In that case restart the machine and go to boot menu (usually F2 or F8 or F12 key depending on your bios) to select boot device
3. Now you can use the USB drive linux without installing it on hard drive. Start using ubuntu from USB drive first.

Thanx alot.... It really helped me.. Thanx again:smitten:

Follow it mate :

How to dual-boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 - LinuxBSDos.com
How to install Windows 7 and Ubuntu side by side

If you need further assistance then gimme a shout. I will find a program to connect to your computer and do it for you :)

I am not talking about in general. I have my friends working on this platform and they all are fed up of it..Ok tell me what all you have done in . Net so far other than copying codes from Google. Share the name of the company you are working with and I will tell you the kind of work you are doing. Sorry to be blunt but we all know what kind of work we get in outsourcing.
Thanx alot.... thnx again....

Hold a masters degree in computers but never was fond of programming and ditched programming once out of University. Nowadays software engineers look like bunch of aliens to me :lol:

Web Developers help me please..!!!
I am currently learning web development. i have learnt, html, css, javascript and currently learning php (in final stages) and after that i will be learning AJAX. Now I have to ask that what are the top demanding languages apart from php in the market or freelancing ?? OR what language should i learn after php and AJAX ??? thanks in advance..!!!!

@navtrek and others....

Any advice on learning python? I mean advantages, disadvantages, capabilities etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom