What's new

Software Engineers Thread.

A levels most schools have a limit some max 2 some max 4 subjects very few have 4-5
I have no idea what ICS is or SE. Btw I'm not in Pakistan so I'm limited to A levels and IB diploma
Okay. Math is compulsory subject to do SE. computer subject may be optional or selective..

C/C++ still being taught? :what:

You are expecting them to disappear from school? They will be taught for the next forseeable future.

Grad student at UWaterloo btw :p

I am a computer engineer currently in second year in Waterloo. I am taking SE as a minor along with Comp eng. Great thing u stared this thread. :cheers:

Oh great.. a bharati troll at the same school.. hope we don't run into each other.

Software Developer in BlackBerry ...

In their mississauga office?

Oh great.. a bharati troll at the same school.. hope we don't run into each other.

Well being a grad student and an Engineer I expect u to be a little more mature and not judge people because of their nationality. Just because I am a ****** I am a troll. What logic is that??

Well being a grad student and an Engineer I expect u to be a little more mature and not judge people because of their nationality. Just because I am a ****** I am a troll. What logic is that??

You can't expect to be mature just because I am grad CS student :p

You can't expect to be mature just because I am grad CS student :p

Anyways Mr. immature, since ur a grad student help me out. What average you need in undergrad to get into grad. I am getting around high 70s. Is that enough??

Software Engineer working at Microsoft, graduated from MIT. Experience with C, C++, Java, Python, C#. Mostly application level programming and software development.

Anyone here work around Silicon Valley? Hows the place and work culture there in general?

Looking in the wrong thread and profession buddy. You do know this is a software engineering thread, this is going to be overrun by Indians soon (much like the profession).

Anyways Mr. immature, since ur a grad student help me out. What average you need in undergrad to get into grad. I am getting around high 70s. Is that enough??

I can only speak for CS, but from what I hear engineering is nearly identical in requirements. You need high 70s (78+) to get into CS grad. The courses they take into account in their average are your undergrad CS courses. They don't really care about non-CS courses. I am a little unsure about Math courses, since some universities do look at that.

You probably want to get an average in the mid 80s though. I got nearly 90 percent CS average in undergrad and I still had somewhat of a hard time getting in. Admission process in Waterloo grad is very competitive. Bare minimum probably won't not work.

C/C++ still being taught? :what:

A great deal of modern languages are based off of C. C++, Java, C#, Scala, Groovy and some others are based off of C or based on another language that itself was based off of C.

Other languages are object oriented, so most people cannot just go in and start learning them - they will get lost pretty fast. I find the concept of objected oriented programming EXTREMELY simple, yet elegant and beautiful. Yet many people I've met have a hard time wrapping their minds around it. So it's a good idea to start learning from C, and develop your skills from there.

I tend to be of the opinion that if you have a hard time understanding advanced object oriented programming concepts, then software development isn't the field for you. But it is what it is.

Looking in the wrong thread and profession buddy. You do know this is a software engineering thread, this is going to be overrun by Indians soon (much like the profession).

Oh come on, I wasn't actually being serious.

l.jpg

:partay:

First mistake. Not using String.equals to compare strings but using == :) So all but 1 girl in the whole wide world will be not hot :)

Back
Top Bottom