What's new

SOFINS: French GIGN gets new rifle

they

yhey ordered only 67 guns

This paratrooper unit, directly subordinated to the director general of the national gendarmerie, is based in Versailles (Yvelines). It was fundamentally modified on 1 September 2007. The Group is now strong in more than 380 highly specialized men and women (officers and non-commissioned officers), grouped into 5 complementary occupations (intervention, protection, observation / research, operational support , Training).

http://www.gendarmerie.interieur.gouv.fr/gign/Decouverte/Structure2

bren2-rifle-frenchgign-cz-czech1.jpg

The French National Gendarmerie Intervention Group (GIGN) has ordered a new standard issue weapon.

It has selected the Bren 2 assault rifle from Czech company CZ. The company told Shephard at the SOFINS exhibition that the GIGN has selected the 7.62 x 39 mm version of the rifle and placed an initial order for 68 units earlier in 2017.

Additional procurements are slated to take place in the near future with the aim of replacing the majority of the H&K 416s currently in service.

The decision to adopt the Bren 2 was the result of a process that began in 2015 after the Paris attacks in January that year. Faced with terrorists equipped with bullet-proof vests, French gendarmerie and police intervention units found that 9 mm weapons had little efficiency in such situations and that 5.56 mm ammo lacked the necessary stopping power.

The CZ spokesperson said that the GIGN identified a need for a new weapon able to fire a heavier bullet. The 7.62 x 51 mm calibre had the suitable characteristics but the weapons for this calibre were considered too heavy and bulky for efficient close-quarter combat.

Thus, GIGN decided to evaluate assault rifles chambered in the 7.62 x 39 mm calibre instead and undertook trials throughout 2015 with a variety of weapons.

CZ's offering was only proposed in the latter stages of the evaluation program. Throughout the better part of 2016, the rifle was intensively tested in a variety of situations and was found to be the most reliable and efficient weapon within the panel of rifles tried by the GIGN.

The CZ Bren 2 was developed from the CZ 805 Bren S1 to take part in the French Army Future Infantry Weapon (AIF) programme (which saw the selection of the H&K 416). However CZ was unable to participate in the process as it came in too late. Development on the Bren 2 continued nevertheless and the weapon has now been selected in its 5.56 mm version by the Czech military which will use it as its standard rifle instead of the original CZ 805.

The Bren 2 7.62 x 39 mm version selected by the GIGN is a compact assault rifle with a nine inch barrel. It comprises a handguard with Picatinny rails which allows for the fitting of a variety of accessories and aiming aides as well as collapsible telescopic stock.

The GIGN has requested some modifications for its own rifles which comprise a new flash hider designed to be fitted with a sound suppressor. Some of the rifles procured by the GIGN also include a modified gas regulation system allowing for subsonic shooting. The weapon is fully ambidextrous and despite its short barrel, retains its full precision at a range of 400m as confirmed during the GIGN trials.

CZ is now pitching its P-10 pistol to the GIGN. The company has also offered its Bren 2 7.62 x 39 mm rifle to the French Special Operations Command (COS), arguing that equipping Special Forces with such a rifle would allow for easier interoperability in the field with local forces in Africa or the Middle East however it has not managed to generate the expected interest so far.

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/special-operations/sofins-french-gign-gets-new-rifle/

@Taygibay @Zarvan @Khafee

If CZ 806 also had 7.62 x 39 version why come up with CZ 807.

bren2-rifle-frenchgign-cz-czech1.jpg

The French National Gendarmerie Intervention Group (GIGN) has ordered a new standard issue weapon.

It has selected the Bren 2 assault rifle from Czech company CZ. The company told Shephard at the SOFINS exhibition that the GIGN has selected the 7.62 x 39 mm version of the rifle and placed an initial order for 68 units earlier in 2017.

Additional procurements are slated to take place in the near future with the aim of replacing the majority of the H&K 416s currently in service.

The decision to adopt the Bren 2 was the result of a process that began in 2015 after the Paris attacks in January that year. Faced with terrorists equipped with bullet-proof vests, French gendarmerie and police intervention units found that 9 mm weapons had little efficiency in such situations and that 5.56 mm ammo lacked the necessary stopping power.

The CZ spokesperson said that the GIGN identified a need for a new weapon able to fire a heavier bullet. The 7.62 x 51 mm calibre had the suitable characteristics but the weapons for this calibre were considered too heavy and bulky for efficient close-quarter combat.

Thus, GIGN decided to evaluate assault rifles chambered in the 7.62 x 39 mm calibre instead and undertook trials throughout 2015 with a variety of weapons.

CZ's offering was only proposed in the latter stages of the evaluation program. Throughout the better part of 2016, the rifle was intensively tested in a variety of situations and was found to be the most reliable and efficient weapon within the panel of rifles tried by the GIGN.

The CZ Bren 2 was developed from the CZ 805 Bren S1 to take part in the French Army Future Infantry Weapon (AIF) programme (which saw the selection of the H&K 416). However CZ was unable to participate in the process as it came in too late. Development on the Bren 2 continued nevertheless and the weapon has now been selected in its 5.56 mm version by the Czech military which will use it as its standard rifle instead of the original CZ 805.

The Bren 2 7.62 x 39 mm version selected by the GIGN is a compact assault rifle with a nine inch barrel. It comprises a handguard with Picatinny rails which allows for the fitting of a variety of accessories and aiming aides as well as collapsible telescopic stock.

The GIGN has requested some modifications for its own rifles which comprise a new flash hider designed to be fitted with a sound suppressor. Some of the rifles procured by the GIGN also include a modified gas regulation system allowing for subsonic shooting. The weapon is fully ambidextrous and despite its short barrel, retains its full precision at a range of 400m as confirmed during the GIGN trials.

CZ is now pitching its P-10 pistol to the GIGN. The company has also offered its Bren 2 7.62 x 39 mm rifle to the French Special Operations Command (COS), arguing that equipping Special Forces with such a rifle would allow for easier interoperability in the field with local forces in Africa or the Middle East however it has not managed to generate the expected interest so far.

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/special-operations/sofins-french-gign-gets-new-rifle/

@Taygibay @Zarvan @Khafee

Good for them and it's good Rifle it passed all our tests but if they already had all version CZ 806 which is massively improved version compared to CZ 807 than why go for CZ 807. Still they have also have great new hand gun CZ-10P which I think is part of Pakistani tender for HandGuns also. So let see what happens.

Good for them and it's good Rifle it passed all our tests but if they already had all version CZ 806 which is massively improved version compared to CZ 807 than why go for CZ 807. Still they have also have great new hand gun CZ-10P which I think is part of Pakistani tender for HandGuns also. So let see what happens.
806 is better than 807? How did you think that? In that logic 805 is better than 806.

806 is better than 807? How did you think that? In that logic 805 is better than 806.
No not 807 I am saying better than 805 and if they already had come up with one better version of 805 why jump to 807 that fast

Good for them and it's good Rifle it passed all our tests.
It came on top in the trials.

If they already had all version CZ 806 which is massively improved version compared to CZ 807 than why go for CZ 807.
As far as I am aware, the CZ806 was chambered 5.56 NATO. If you read the article, the ammo is the main reason GIGN is going for a new rifle (as stated in the article, this was decided post Paris Attacks) and that is the reason they are going for Bern 2 chambered for 7.62 x 39mm Soviet rounds. So what is the confusion then?

Still they have also have great new hand gun CZ-10P which I think is part of Pakistani tender for Hand Guns also. So let see what happens.
Yup, they can offer a COMPLETE PACKAGE,, a big advantage this as you are dealing with one supplier, getting the best possible deal and go on from there.

As far as I am aware, the CZ806 was chambered 5.56 NATO. If you read the article, the ammo is the main reason GIGN is going for a new rifle (as stated in the article, this was decided post Paris Attacks) and that is the reason they are going for Bern 2 chambered for 7.62 x 39mm Soviet rounds. So what is the confusion then?

Yup, they can offer a COMPLETE PACKAGE,, a big advantage this as you are dealing with one supplier, getting the best possible deal and go on from there.
Sir the one GIGN is going for is CZ 806 7.62 X 39 my question is if they already have have come up with CZ 806 5.56 and x 39 caliber rifles what is the reason behind making CZ 807 5.56 and x 39

Yes it was on top into x 39 calibers but it may face another competition really soon

Sir the one GIGN is going for is CZ 806 7.62 X 39 my question is if they already have have come up with CZ 806 5.56 and x 39 caliber rifles what is the reason behind making CZ 807 5.56 and x 39
Bahi, GIGN bought the 5.56mm gun, after paris attacks they realized it lacked stopping power and now want to change to a heavier 7.62 x 39mm. It is quite simple. The reason is "requirement".

Yes it was on top into x 39 calibers but it may face another competition really soon
hmmm

Bahi, GIGN bought the 5.56mm gun, after paris attacks they realized it lacked stopping power and now want to change to a heavier 7.62 x 39mm. It is quite simple. The reason is "requirement".

hmmm
Sir I am pretty sure CZ already had made 7.62 X 39 or they didn't made it after France demanded change in caliber that is my point

Sir I am pretty sure CZ already had made 7.62 X 39 or they didn't made it after France demanded change in caliber that is my point
WEll my friend, i am in no mood to debate on things that you "think"!! :)
Just stated what the facts are and i am sure anyone reading it for the first time will get it. It is the firepower that they are looking for and thus the change. Simple.

CZ 807 was originally developed for the Indian military's Multi-Caliber Assault Rifle (MCAR) program. CZ does not mention 'BREN' with its name.

CZ 806 BREN 2 is the improved variant of CZ 805 BREN and includes some features of CZ 807. Whether CZ BREN 2 has a simple caliber conversion process or not is a question I would like to ask.

CZ 807 was originally developed for the Indian military's Multi-Caliber Assault Rifle (MCAR) program. CZ does not mention 'BREN' with its name.

CZ 806 BREN 2 is the improved variant of CZ 805 BREN and includes some features of CZ 807. Whether CZ BREN 2 has a simple caliber conversion process or not is a question I would like to ask.
@Arsalan This is the answer what I was looking for

WEll my friend, i am in no mood to debate on things that you "think"!! :)
Just stated what the facts are and i am sure anyone reading it for the first time will get it. It is the firepower that they are looking for and thus the change. Simple.

ALL CZ rifles (CZ 805 BREN, CZ 806 BREN 2 and CZ 807) have ready-to-use 5.56 NATO, 7.62 Soviet and 7.62 NATO versions.

@Arsalan This is the answer what I was looking for
Then you should have asked that WHY CZ have developed a new gun!!

I was of the view that you are asking why French are buying this new weapon!! I explained that to you.

If they already had all version CZ 806 which is massively improved version compared to CZ 807 than why go for CZ 807.

hmmm
:lol::lol::lol:

You must realise they didn't choose SCAR that is the underlying issue and nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom