What's new

Soap Operas and Schools Bring Turkish Culture to Pakistan

Turkish culture was brought to Pakistan long time ago, before the arrival of these soaps operas the real actors did that from the huns to ghaznavis etc.

Sufism is not culture of Pakistan but some pakistanis, such as sindhis and Punjabis, now yay can hardly call that Pakistan now can you.

Sufism is a weak mans remedy.

Turks brought Persian culture in the sub continent. While Turkey during Ataturk's time eliminated all Persian influence from their culture.

Are u sure that sindh and Punjab constitutes 75 percent of Pakistan? maybe so population wise but not in land size, balochistan is way bigger then Punjabi itself.

We don't care if Indians or even if some pakistanis treat sufis with respect and others with disgust, just because your preference is different doesn't mean that others forget their history, heritage and people.

This is a needless debate. People matter.

Pathans and Baloch have a different culture, but not that different. Pathans were actually more tolerant and respectful than some Punjabis and Sindhis.

Many Sufis came from Afghanistan and central Asia. Anyways, Pakistan is now a multi ethnic country and all point of views should be tolerated except those who do not tolerate others.

I'm against the indecencies the Turkish soaps may bring into Pakistan.

Another thing, is when do Pakistanis think that all Arabs of today's Middle East are all model Muslims?

I have seen many messed up Arabs.

RiazHaq, your article is bogus.

Saudi Arabia has done a lot for Pakistan in the past.

For those Turkey supporters, lol, hahaha, go to Turkey today, and see the shaytani things they do in Turkey when compared to Saudi Arabia.

Then you can see which country is more "Islamic."

I do agree that its ridiculous to import another nation's creativity. We Pakistanis are capable of our own creativity.

Please don't use the term "Wahabi", you know you are using it as a pejorative.

Well turkey is so indecent and Saudia is so pure hay, before we criticise turkey and its ill reputes as a Pakistani you should look closer to home lahore heera mandi, 70k prostitutes in Karachi, i can carry on and on.

Most Turks are conservative and decent same can't be said for Arabs, some Pakistanis think Wahabis Arabs backside is where the sun illuminates but we all know thas not true.

I lived in Turkey. You have moderates, seculars and fundamentalists - like we do in Pakistan

They have different culture but the values are not ENTIRELY different though overall Pakistan is obviously more conservative.

p.s. in Saudi Arabia - a lot of labourers including those from Pakistan have their passports taken away and they are not treated with the respect they deserve; whereas in Turkiye if you say you are from Pakistan (regardless of how rich you are) the people smile and recognize Pakistan as one of the earliest allies of their Republic (and Muslims of the sub-continent as those who supported the erstwhile Khilafat even in its dying dies)

9 times out of 10 when a Turk realized I was not Turkish they say "nerelisiniz" (where ARE you from) and when you say Pakistan they say "Pakistan....dost ve kardesh ulke" (friendly brother country)

This is a needless debate. People matter.

Pathans and Baloch have a different culture, but not that different. Pathans were actually more tolerant and respectful than some Punjabis and Sindhis.

Many Sufis came from Afghanistan and central Asia. Anyways, Pakistan is now a multi ethnic country and all point of views should be tolerated except those who do not tolerate others.

All points are tolerated, but still sufism is a weak mans remedy, those sufis you talk about were drug crazed hashish smokers who thought they could see and feel things.

Sufism is not our culture infact all shrines should be smashed starting in kp with kaka sahib, they bring shirk and biddat.

All points are tolerated, but still sufism is a weak mans remedy, those sufis you talk about were drug crazed hashish smokers who thought they could see and feel things.

Sufism is not our culture infact all shrines should be smashed starting in kp with kaka sahib, they bring shirk and biddat.

Wrong.

Islam spread because of them in the Subcontinent and not with the barrel of the gun. If sufis were bad, so were the conquerors who chopped off heads to gain power.

Sufism never had a fascist face, but other groups gained power from fascism. Sufism may not be perfect, but it tolerates others.

The endless shrines in Pakistan are a living proof of it being the actual culture.

This wish to import culture from Saudi Arabia or any other country is wrong. Pakistanis do not wear similar dresses and do not speak the same language as others, why should their culture be like them.

How did Turkish soap operas change or influence the culture in Pakistan? What are Pakistanis doing differently because of these soap operas?

Wrong.

Islam spread because of them in the Subcontinent and not with the barrel of the gun. If sufis were bad, so were the conquerors who chopped off heads to gain power.

Sufism never had a fascist face, but other groups gained power from fascism. Sufism may not be perfect, but it tolerates others.

The endless shrines in Pakistan are a living proof of it being the actual culture.

This wish to import culture from Saudi Arabia or any other country is wrong. Pakistanis do not wear similar dresses and do not speak the same language as others, why should their culture be like them.

You argument is weak, in Pakistan we don't speak the same language, not every Pakistani wears a lungi, not every Pakistani wears salwar kameez.

I am very fair skinned greeneyed, i speak pushto, my fellow country man to the east of me speaks Punjabi is of dark complexion, normally wears a boski colour kameez and wears a white lungi and likes farming and music so on, while i Like guns and things that he doesn't Like or relate to, then my other countryman the sindhi is even more different in language and culture to both of us.

He'll we don't even have one culture in Pakistan mate, i don't know what culture you talk about, Islam spread through sufis but not entirely.

I don't wish to import culture from anywhere i have my own that predates Saudi's and modern day turkey.

Since salwar kameez is not your cultural dress, why do you wear it, it came from afghan and Persia. You may have got culture and identity in the past 65 years but research my name you will find i been around for 1000 of years.

You argument is weak, in Pakistan we don't speak the same language, not every Pakistani wears a lungi, not every Pakistani wears salwar kameez.

I am very fair skinned greeneyed, i speak pushto, my fellow country man to the east of me speaks Punjabi is of dark complexion, normally wears a boski colour kameez and wears a white lungi and likes farming and music so on, while i Like guns and things that he doesn't Like or relate to, then my other countryman the sindhi is even more different in language and culture to both of us.

He'll we don't even have one culture in Pakistan mate, i don't know what culture you talk about, Islam spread through sufis but not entirely.

I don't wish to import culture from anywhere i have my own that predates Saudi's and modern day turkey.

Since salwar kameez is not your cultural dress, why do you wear it, it came from afghan and Persia. You may have got culture and identity in the past 65 years but research my name you will find i been around for 1000 of years.

Who is denying the fact that Pakistan is not a multi ethnic state. Present day Pakistan is a very ancient place. Each province of Pakistan has had ancient civilizations, Taxila, Mehrgarh, Harrapa, Mohenjodaro etc.

When different people live together, they tolerate each other; otherwise, it is a clash.

As far as Pathans and Baloch are concerned, their culture is different and conservative but is not as violent as it is assumed. It is in fact very peaceful. Pathans and Baloch were very tolerant. They have been abused by many.

Many poets and Sufis have been produced by them as well.

Sufism is more dominant in eastern Pakistan now.

aa gya na apneh asliyat teh? tere iraadeh teh shuru toh shak si.

why these handful of so-called pashtuns keep popping up with their verbal vomit? the vast majority of pashtuns bar a few handful racists like yourself don't have these pitiful complexes and see everyone as humans regardless of appearance. don't degrade what pashtuns stand for through your own shallow projection of an inferiority complex.

you probably don't care a hoot about genetics or how complexions came to be different througout history. punjab is a large province. punjabis from our very north will be much fairer than your average pashtun, and your pashtun from more southern regions will be darker than the average punjabi, not that it matters. you find people with coloured eyes all over sindh and punjab, forget kashmir. the difference is we have been in this land for thousands of years before your tribe came down from afghanistan, bent over to take the genes of any invaders including mongols and what not. we had civilizations when you were nomadic beasts. so don't bring history into it unless you want your baseless pride totally in pieces.

how much ever you want to deny it, pretending to know more about punjabis than they do about themselves. yes, most of the natives of punjab, sindh & kashmir accepted Islam through teachings of sufis, some local, some from different parts of persia. and all sufis taught was to have nothing come in between a person and Allah, no rituals no other human no man-made customs. in some ways it is much purer than your deobandi takfiri nonsense prevalent in parts of khyber. you follow what you believe, leave us to what we have historically followed and continue to do so. also, no they were not 'drug crazed hashish smokers who saw things', have some basic respect at least rather than exposing your woeful ignorance and disgusting attitude. we all know where drug culture started and spread from in this region.

Well turkey is so indecent and Saudia is so pure hay, before we criticise turkey and its ill reputes as a Pakistani you should look closer to home lahore heera mandi, 70k prostitutes in Karachi, i can carry on and on.

do you have a bone to pick with some Pakistanis? what does lahore or karachi have to do with this, trying to make us feel bad? we accept those problems and are working to eliminate it through education + other reforms. meanwhile no need to delve into the sexual orientation amongst some of your great and mighty tribals, their weird customs involving young boys and how a woman can't cross the road in certain parts without being violated. what are you (and all of us) doing to correct that? rather than selectively pointing out ills in our society for some twisted pleasure you derive out of degrading non-pashtuns, its best to consider all of them as your fellow countrymen, brothers and sisters first. a shame for us should equally be a shame for you. so don't sit all high and mighty on your chair and gloat. there's a saying, something about rocks and glass houses.

why these handful of so-called pashtuns keep popping up with their verbal vomit? the vast majority of pashtuns bar a few handful racists like yourself don't have these pitiful complexes and see everyone as humans regardless of appearance. don't degrade what pashtuns stand for through your own shallow projection of an inferiority complex.

you probably don't care a hoot about genetics or how complexions came to be different througout history. punjab is a large province. punjabis from our very north will be much fairer than your average pashtun, and your pashtun from more southern regions will be darker than the average punjabi, not that it matters. you find people with coloured eyes all over sindh and punjab, forget kashmir. the difference is we have been in this land for thousands of years before your tribe came down from afghanistan, bent over to take the genes of any invaders including mongols and what not. we had civilizations when you were nomadic beasts. so don't bring history into it unless you want your baseless pride totally in pieces.

how much ever you want to deny it, pretending to know more about punjabis than they do about themselves. yes, most of the natives of punjab, sindh & kashmir accepted Islam through teachings of sufis, some local, some from different parts of persia. and all sufis taught was to have nothing come in between a person and Allah, no rituals no other human no man-made customs. in some ways it is much purer than your deobandi takfiri nonsense prevalent in parts of khyber. you follow what you believe, leave us to what we have historically followed and continue to do so. also, no they were not 'drug crazed hashish smokers who saw things', have some basic respect at least rather than exposing your woeful ignorance and disgusting attitude. we all know where drug culture started and spread from in this region.

do you have a bone to pick with some Pakistanis? what does lahore or karachi have to do with this, trying to make us feel bad? we accept those problems and are working to eliminate it through education other reforms. meanwhile no need to delve into the sexual orientation amongst some of your great and mighty tribals, their weird customs involving young boys and how a woman can't cross the road in certain parts without being violated. what are you (and all of us) doing to correct that? rather than selectively pointing out ills in our society for some twisted pleasure you derive out of degrading non-pashtuns, its best to consider all of them as your fellow countrymen, brothers and sisters first. a shame for us should equally be a shame for you. so don't sit all high and mighty on your chair and gloat. there's a saying, something about rocks and glass houses.

All he said that he has green eyes and is fair....you started whining and immediately labeled him racist and scum of earth, why?..why you punjabis have so intense skin colour complex?
If he is saying that he has green eyes then it shouldnt be surprising, ghilzais have very high ratio of green eyes...
I myself have light gandami complexation, but with brown eyes and dark hair...but there are green eyed and fair individuals in my family...you dont need to over-react on this mr.punjabi, it is you who is racist and colourist
let me declare it for you that all punjabis are more fair skinned and eyed than pakhtuns, we pakhtuns are dark-skinned...you happy now?

How did Turkish soap operas change or influence the culture in Pakistan? What are Pakistanis doing differently because of these soap operas?

Entertainment works in subtle ways to change people's thinking.

Here's a excerpt of a recent Bloomberg story on Turkish soaps in Pakistan:

Anila Shaikh, 43, and her teenage daughter Mariam watched each of the 165 episodes of “Forbidden Love” at home in Rawalpindi, just outside the capital, Islamabad.

They were so taken by the show that Shaikh promised her daughter a bridal dress to match the one Nihal picked for her wedding, nuptials that never happened after the spurned and brokenhearted stepmother Bihter shot herself dead.

“I don’t really care who will object to that strapless wedding gown in my family,” Shaikh said at her home in a middle-class neighborhood last month. “I want to see my daughter as beautiful as Nihal looked that day.”

Forbidden Love Wins Pakistani Hearts as TV Tackles Social Taboos - Bloomberg

There have been studies of the influence of Cable TV among women in India by American researchers Robert Jensen and Emily Oster who found that the effect of TV in 2700 households empowered women to be more autonomous. Cable TV households had lower birthrates, less domestic abuse and kept daughters in schools.

do you have a bone to pick with some Pakistanis? what does lahore or karachi have to do with this, trying to make us feel bad? we accept those problems and are working to eliminate it through education + other reforms. meanwhile no need to delve into the sexual orientation amongst some of your great and mighty tribals, their weird customs involving young boys and how a woman can't cross the road in certain parts without being violated. what are you (and all of us) doing to correct that? rather than selectively pointing out ills in our society for some twisted pleasure you derive out of degrading non-pashtuns, its best to consider all of them as your fellow countrymen, brothers and sisters first. a shame for us should equally be a shame for you. so don't sit all high and mighty on your chair and gloat. there's a saying, something about rocks and glass houses.

i am no racist, i just gave him a description of how diverse Pakistan is, just because i am a greeneyed and light skinned makes me a racist?.

you dear sir suffer from inferiority complex, no one has degraded no one here, you are utterly confused, a man with 2 flags and one of an enemy shows your state of mind.

I challenge you to point out any racism in my post, if you can't then i suggest putting a lid on it.

Let me educate members here on one thing. There was no deobandism and bareilvism before mid 1800s. Sunni version of islam is brought to Indo-pak by Central asians and Afghans (not necessarily by ethnic turks and ethnic afghans)...forexample data ganj bakhsh migrated from present day Afghanistan and settled in lahore, he was a syed...in sindh islam was already introduced by mohammad bin qasim...Moreover Turko-Afghan elites indirectly motivated low-castes hindus to join the religion of ruling class.....turks, afghans and arabs brought pure islam to the region but with passage of time, islam of indian muslims got heavily mixed with hindu practices...there were various attempts by various ulema to purify indian islam from hindu influences and bidaa..the most notable was mujadad alaf saani of akbar times...then shah walilulah..and at the end are reformists of deoband who wanted a purer version of islam in india, free of hindu influences and bidaa..those who opposed such reforms are your barilvis...who call themeselves sufi muslims...and retain every shirk, bidaa, and hindu practices that were characteristics of indian islam...most of the indian muslims , punjabis and sindhis are bareilvis...their characteristics are shrines, urs, pirs, mureeds, qawali, milad, mazar-parasti, pir-parasti etc ...
Deobandi school of thought appealed to Pashtuns and balochs because they were already following simple islam free from corruptions that happened in case of indic muslims...

i am no racist, i just gave him a description of how diverse Pakistan is, just because i am a greeneyed and light skinned makes me a racist?.

you dear sir suffer from inferiority complex, no one has degraded no one here, you are utterly confused, a man with 2 flags and one of an enemy shows your state of mind.

I challenge you to point out any racism in my post, if you can't then i suggest putting a lid on it.

next time don't sneak in things like fair skinned or 'dark complexioned' when it has nothing to do with this topic. even if you want to talk about culture, that has nothing to do with pigmentation of skin or eyes which varies with geographic latitude. and saying sindhis/punjabis have gotten an identity in last 65 years versus your '1000s years'. you and your monkey afghan friend obviously love to indirectly express your complexes, then when anybody calls you out on it you cry foul.

most pashtuns i've met are amongst the nicest, humble and least arrogant people i know, and don't take your sewer mentality as having any impact on my impression of them. afterall i'm concerned for you as fellow countrymen to drop this weird divide in your minds. we live together now, we are one and part of each other for the past 65 years. have your 'separate identity', be proud of it, but understand it within the context of Islam, and not by belittling or looking down on other Pakistanis.

Let me educate members here on one thing. There was no deobandism and bareilvism before mid 1800s. Sunni version of islam is brought to Indo-pak by Central asians and Afghans (not necessarily by ethnic turks and ethnic afghans)...forexample data ganj bakhsh migrated from present day Afghanistan and settled in lahore, he was a syed...in sindh islam was already introduced by mohammad bin qasim...Moreover Turko-Afghan elites indirectly motivated low-castes hindus to join the religion of ruling class.....turks, afghans and arabs brought pure islam to the region but with passage of time, islam of indian muslims got heavily mixed with hindu practices...there were various attempts by various ulema to purify indian islam from hindu influences and bidaa..the most notable was mujadad alaf saani of akbar times...then shah walilulah..and at the end are reformists of deoband who wanted a purer version of islam in india, free of hindu influences and bidaa..those who opposed such reforms are your barilvis...who call themeselves sufi muslims...and retain every shirk, bidaa, and hindu practices that were characteristics of indian islam...most of the indian muslims , punjabis and sindhis are bareilvis...their characteristics are shrines, urs, pirs, mureeds, qawali, milad, mazar-parasti, pir-parasti etc ...
Deobandi school of thought appealed to Pashtuns and balochs because they were already following simple islam free from corruptions that happened in case of indic muslims...

dont want to get into a religious debate here. if you don't know about sufiism then dont speak on it like you do. better to be perceived a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt. there is no barelvi deobandi or other garbage on day of judgement. a muslim is muslim, and you will be judged on your actions. simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom