What's new

'Snub' to India? Obama calls Hu Jintao

What i analyse is the Obama Presidency does not consider India as priority in his Presidency. Which is fine with me. India nuclear-deal is already done. And Obama can consentrate on making America better like he was promised to millions of Americans.

I think Obama is angry on India because before election, Indians did a pooja to their monkey god (Hanuman I think) so that Obama becomes the President. Though he won the election but Obama may not need any deals with India in future as G.W.Bush already signed nuclear deal. He didn't make a call that doesn't mean he hates India, Indian media actually light that flare. Obama actually wanna make a call in future when he will need something from India.

But, Do Indians really that angry on this matter? :P :D

Obama tried calling me up: PM

PTI | November 11, 2008 | 01:26 IST

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday said that US President-elect Barack Obama had tried to speak to him but the contact could not be established because of "paucity of time" and his travel.

"No, this is not true," Singh said when asked if the newly elected US President had ignored India by not calling him.

"President Obama wanted to talk to me day before yesterday (November 8) (but) we could not establish contact because the time that was suggested was too short for me (to establish contact). Since then, I have been travelling... as soon as I go back (we will try to establish contact)," Singh told reporters on way back to New Delhi from his maiden three-day visit to the energy rich Gulf region.

Obama had phoned fifteen world leaders, including Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari after being elected US President.

As Singh did not get any call from Obama, there were suggestions that the next US President was ignoring India. Singh said Obama had written to him a "very warm" letter even before he was elected President.

"I had myself written a warm letter to him," he said.

Singh was hopeful that Indo-US ties under Obama will be further strengthened.

"I got a very warm letter from him, a detailed letter spelling out his approach to India, his approach to international affairs and therefore, I have every reason to believe that India's relations with the US under President Obama will become stronger than ever before," he said.

Singh was hopeful that Indo-US ties under Obama will be further strengthened. "I got a very warm letter from him, a detailed letter spelling out his approach to India, his approach to international affairs and therefore, I have every reason to believe that India's relations with the US under President Obama will become stronger than ever before," he said.

The prime minister said he had received immediate acknowledgement of the condolence message he had sent to Obama on the death of his grandmother.

"I also condoled his grandmother's death and he immediately acknowledged that letter," Singh added.

This should put everything to rest.

This should put everything to rest.

Oh indeed it does, from the perspective of why MMS wasn't spoken with, but the Indian media getting their 'panties in a bunch' over an issue that wasn't an issue is still hilarious! :D

Oh indeed it does, from the perspective of why MMS wasn't spoken with, but the Indian media getting their 'panties in a bunch' over an issue that wasn't an issue is still hilarious! :D

To be frank, except for few media houses, remaining are s**t. Their only motive is to increase their share and not the quality news.

To be frank, except for few media houses, remaining are s**t. Their only motive is to increase their share and not the quality news.

And on that count I agree, and include the Pakistani media as well.

We really need some quality journalism schools, but even that may not count for much unless teh attitudes of people change.

My personal gripe with the Pakistani media is that they are anti-establishment to a fault (establishment being whoever is in power). Nothing wrong with serving as a 'watchdog', but the absurd standards that they apply while publishing unsubstantiated rumor, gossip and criticizm (do check out Ansar Abbasi's 'angels' commentary sometimes, published in the "Top Stories' section of The News) just contribute to spreading consipiratorial views, cynicism and a lack of confidence in the state and its policies.

On domestic issues, the violence and injustice of East Pakistan seems to have left a permanant scar on the media and intelligentsia's psyche, to where almost any military action in Baluchistan, Sindh or FATA is viewed through an extremely critical and cynical lens, and dire predictions and warnings of a 'repeat of 1971' abound. Policies of 'negotiation and compromise' are continually pushed, and while those are excellent suggestions, they mean little when the other side is not willing to renounce violence.

We see the negative repercussions of this 'extreme self criticizm' quite starkly in the media's approach to the FATA conflict, where a just and necessary war is being maligned, and the 'establishment' (PPP government) now the target of criticizm similar to that which the Musharraf government was exposed to. In the process, the popular support that is so necessary for this battle is continuosly kept at bay by these harbingers of 'gloom and doom' busy with self-flagellation.

And on that count I agree, and include the Pakistani media as well.

We really need some quality journalism schools, but even that may not count for much unless teh attitudes of people change.

I beg to differ. The best of the Indian media is a couple of decades ahead of the best in Pakistan.

Regarding the relationship between the establishment and media in Pakistan, the fact remains that the Pakistani establishment has not done a very good job of taking the people (and consequently the media) into confidence over the years. The lack of media freedoms and the secretive decision making processes didn't do much to ease the tension between the two power centers.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. The best of the Indian media is a couple of decades ahead of the best in Pakistan.

Regarding the relationship between the establishment and media in Pakistan, the fact remains that the Pakistani establishment has not done a very good job of taking the people (and consequently the media) into confidence over the years. The lack of media freedoms and the secretive decision making processes didn't do much to ease the tension between the two power centers.

That just sounds like more 'irrational jingoism' to me. The better journalists and writers in Pakistan are by any means the equal, if not better, of their counterparts in India.

On souring relations with the media, that was the case until Musharraf's media liberalization, but then one must ask why the continued resort to inconsequential journalism several years after that liberalization took place. The reasons behind that I maintain are as I argued in my last post.

That just sounds like more 'irrational jingoism' to me. The better journalists and writers in Pakistan are by any means the equal, if not better, of their counterparts in India.

On souring relations with the media, that was the case until Musharraf's media liberalization, but then one must ask why the continued resort to inconsequential journalism several years after that liberalization took place. The reasons behind that I maintain are as I argued in my last post.

I am not going to argue the point further, but from what I can see India is light years ahead of Pakistan in both quality and quantity of journalism.

The fact is that Pakistan rarely allowed the media to operate with sufficient freedoms, which has led to a deep-rooted distrust of the establishment within media circles (there are other obvious reasons for this too, like the glaring failures of the Pakistani state for example).

Another factor that possibly comes into play is that Indian media houses generally adopt higher ethical standards than Pakistani ones. Right from Independence, the major news publications (the Hindu, the Tribune, The Indian Express, Times of India) have been known and recognized the world over for quality journalism. These pioneering publications set the bar for all subsequent newspapers and tv channels.

Pakistani journalism seems to lack the kind of historical precedent and legacy that is present in India.

I am not going to argue the point further, but from what I can see India is light years ahead of Pakistan in both quality and quantity of journalism.

The fact is that Pakistan rarely allowed the media to operate with sufficient freedoms, which has led to a deep-rooted distrust of the establishment within media circles (there are other obvious reasons for this too, like the glaring failures of the Pakistani state for example).

Another factor that possibly comes into play is that Indian media houses generally adopt higher ethical standards than Pakistani ones. Right from Independence, the major news publications (the Hindu, the Tribune, The Indian Express, Times of India) have been known and recognized the world over for quality journalism. These pioneering publications set the bar for all subsequent newspapers and tv channels.

Pakistani journalism seems to lack the kind of historical precedent and legacy that is present in India.

That is clearly your opinion and not a fact acknowledged world-wide. While Pakistani media definitely has some growing up to do, Indian journalism and media could do some of that as well.

The very first underlined point in your post above is a global phenomenon. Media and journalism usually mistrusts all governance because its their job to not take things at face value. This happens in the West and anywhere else where media is allowed to work freely. All of the other underlined parts in your posts are unsubstantiated claims and opinions. I think we have discussed the same in the past as well.

India definitely has a history of liberal media, however there is considerable unprofessionalism as well.

..and why would that be, exactly?
I'm loving the fact that Indian media has turned a non issue into a huge elephant and had to come down of her her high horse and face the reality.

To speak frankly, I've witnessed growing naked arrogance from the Indian media and internet warriors portraying India as the center of the Universe.

Eversince the MM Singhs 2004 USA tour which laid down the fundament or the framework for a future alliance between the two countries the arrogance has become unbearably embarrissing and unparelled, everyone knows that except for the Indians who're blinded by their sense of patriotism and chauvinism. How else would you justify this media cry out about a stupid stupid phone call which at best can be described as a casual formality, a (must make) courtesy call and nothing more; everyone will get it sooner ot later.

But no, India is shining and rising, she must have it first...she must have it before Pakistan or else there will be consequences...!

My gawd people, wake up! Whats with this insecurity? When will you wake up and realise your economic and strategic value and start acting like a mature nation? How's a phone call going to change all that you have achieved together already? He's an President-Elect for God's sake who's yet to take over the Presidency, he's not God Himself!

Just my 2 cts!

You love this too

This is a pathetic attempt to derail the thread. Take my friendy advice and never drag Pakistan down into an India related topic and vice versa.
Consider this a strong warning!

Last edited:
TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos -

PM says Obama tried to speak to him
11/11/2008 7:16:49 AM

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday (Nov 10) said that US President-elect Barack Obama had tried to speak to him but the contact could not be established because of "paucity of time" and his travel.

"No, this is not true," Singh said when asked if the newly elected US President had ignored India by not calling him.

"President Obama wanted to talk to me on November 8 but we could not establish contact because the time that was suggested was too short for me (to establish contact). Since then, I have been travelling... as soon as I go back (we will try to establish contact)," Singh told reporters on way back to New Delhi from his maiden three-day visit to the energy rich Gulf region.

Obama had phoned fifteen world leaders including Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari after being elected US President. As Singh did not get any call from Obama, there were suggestions that the next US President was ignoring India.

Singh said Obama had written to him a "very warm" letter even before he was elected President.

"I had myself written a warm letter to him," he said. Singh was hopeful that Indo-US ties under Obama will be further strengthened. "I got a very warm letter from him, a detailed letter spelling out his approach to India, his approach to international affairs and therefore, I have every reason to believe that India's relations with the US under President Obama will become stronger than ever before," he said.

The Prime Minister said he had received immediate acknowledgement of the condolence message he had sent to Obama on the death of his grandmother. "I also condoled his grandmother's death and he immediately acknowledged that letter," Singh added.

(Agencies)

Back
Top Bottom