What's new

'Snub' to India? Obama calls Hu Jintao

I'm soooo loving this! :P

You love this too

Annoyed by ISI information leak, Bush asks Gilani who’s in control

The News
Posted: Aug 01, 2008 at 2326 hrs IST

WASHINGTON, JULY 31 : US President George W Bush expressed his concern and some annoyance with Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani over the role of the ISI in Pakistan.

Defence Minister, Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar, who was also present at the meeting, said that Bush expressed concern that certain elements in the ISI were leaking information to the terrorists before they could be hit by the US or Pakistani forces. This is a cause of concern for the US side, he added.

Ahmed Mukhtar said the meeting otherwise was held in good atmosphere, and the US administration looked committed to support the civilian set-up.

“President Bush also asked who is controlling the ISI,” the minister said, indicating that Bush was probably aware of the fiasco created by the failed attempt by the Ministry of Interior to take control of the ISI through a notification shortly before PM Gilani arrived in Washington.

Another source said Bush agreed with the Pakistani point of view that all parties in the Afghan conflict, the NATO forces, Pakistan and Afghanistan should take equal responsibility of meeting the terrorist threats. “Bush agreed that specific tasks must be identified for each party to meet and then the performance of each party should be assessed. Accusations against each other should not be levelled publicly,” Bush was quoted as saying.
Meanwhile, the CIA confronted senior Pakistani officials with evidence showing that members of the country’s spy service have deepened their ties with some militant groups responsible for a surge of violence, possibly including the suicide bombing of the Indian Embassy in Kabul, The New York Times reported.

“We reject this report. This is unfounded, baseless and malicious,” chief military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said.

“I’d like to emphasise here that ISI is a premier intelligence agency, which has caught or apprehended maximum al-Qaeda operatives,” Abbas said.

Gilani is in Washington meeting with Bush administration officials. In an interview broadcast on Tuesday on PBS’s The News Hour With JimLehrer, Gilani said that to say that some in the ISI are “sympathetic to the militants, this is not believable. ... We will not allow that.”

Interior Advisor to Gilani, Rehman Malik, has denied the allegations levelled by The New York Times. Talking to The News, Rehman said the Indian propaganda is an effort to malign Pakistan’s supreme agency, the ISI, which has played a commendable role in curbing terrorism in all its manifestations.

My thoughts on this thread:

Dil behelane ke liye Gaalib, yeh khayal achchha hai.

Nothing byond a simple time pass. Who cares for a call? TOI is a little too paranoid and gullible.

India has thousands of newspapers and magazines.

55 articles is nothing.

whatever bro. if they're getting a kick out of it why not. I mean there isn't too much else going on is there, obviously they need something to cling to, am I wrong here? I mean since you guys seem to be loving it so much. Pakistan makes a fuss about predator strikes every other day, so who's snubbing who man?

You are all reading too much into this.

China is in a decent lot of trouble due to the recession. The chinese phone call was more in line with its economic policies and Obama would have called to Hu so that the next time Obama can address about the trade deficit between the countries.

Obama is actually calling all the countries that directly matter to the US first. EU, allies like pak, china and russia. India is not important enough to the US as of now.

I am not interested in a phone call. I am more interested in his policies vis a vis india.

It is interesting how you guys get excited over a phone call. Please continue... :)

This thread was created not by an Indian but by a Pakistani and frankly its a useless thread.

Why do you guys obsess over a phone call? Wasn't that one call enough!

TOI is not India's national paper. Its writings may no reflect government thinking.

Well, I am sure not getting this call is better than getting that call. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom