May be this can help Pakistani members

800px-Urban_population_living_in_slums.svg.png

File:Urban population living in slums.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UN-HABITAT.:. Urban Statistics

India's urban population is: 110 million/0.35 = 315 million

India's rural population = 1200 - 315 = 885 million

Pakistan's urban population is: 26.6/0.48 = 54 million

% of India's urban population: 315/1200 * 100 = 26% of India's total population

% of Pakistan's urban population: 54/170 * 100 = 32% of Pakistan's total population

% of India's rural population = 100% - 26 = 74% of India's total population

% of Pakistan's rural population = 100% - 32 = 68% of Pakistan's total population

Orangi town

Sewrhi Baba Enterence

48057409.jpg

Rehman Baba Stadium , orangi town

48056956.jpg

10 number street orangi town

48056779.jpg

street number 4 orangi town

48053759.jpg

Orangi town 5 No bazar

48053333.jpg

darul uloom hanfia , orangi town

47944973.jpg

park in orangi town

orangitown.jpg3.jpg

62% of Mumbai lives in slums: Census

BY SEERALAN ON 17/10/2010 IN SOCIAL ISSUESNO COMMENTS
The population of Mumbai has gone up considerably and the worrying fact is that the number of people staying in the slums has increased by an alarming 50 per cent in a decade.

According to the provisional figures of the census that is underway, Mumbai’s population is projected to be 1.43 crore, which was 1.19 crore in 2001. The number of people living in slums and slum-like areas has gone up by a staggering 30 lakh.

The projections showed that about 90 lakh Mumbai residents now live in slums as against 60 lakh recorded in 2001 census – a 50 per cent increase in a decade that also saw an unprecedented real estate boom in the city.

This means that about 60 per cent of Mumbai is staying in slums-shanties and even brick and cement houses built in unplanned manner with limited access to civic amenities.

The population of Mumbai has gone up considerably and the worrying fact is that the number of people staying in the slums has increased by an alarming 50 per cent in a decade. According to the provisional figures of the census that is underway, Mumbai's population is projected to be 1.43 crore, whic

h was 1.19 crore in 2001. The number of people living in slums and slum-like areas has gone up by a staggering 30 lakh.
The projections showed that about 90 lakh Mumbai residents now live in slums as against 60 lakh recorded in 2001 census - a 50 per cent increase in a decade that also saw an unprecedented real estate boom in the city.

This means that about 60 per cent of Mumbai is staying in slums-shanties and even brick and cement houses built in unplanned manner with limited access to civic amenities.

"The provisional figures show a large Mumbai population manages to live and cope under the huge infrastructure deficit," said urban planner V K Phatak.

Pankaj Joshi, Executive Director, Urban Design Research Institute said the whole issue boils down to affordability.

"Since the state cannot provide houses to this section, they have taken care of their own needs."

This number would vary, depending on the outcome of second phase of census under which a detailed survey would be conducted. The projections are based on first phase, which was listing of houses and individual staying in them.

"The exact and definitive number will be available after the population enumeration is conducted in February" said Joint Director (Census Operations) Dr S S Hiremath.

62% of Mumbai lives in slums: Census - Hindustan Times

watch this satellite image closely streets are well planned and for ur kind info these are not slums u can compare way of living on oangi town and dharavi u fill find out that dharavi looks like sum area of africa ,, and if u compare karachi with mumbai karachi is not dense like mumbai in land area karachi is huge mega city while mumbai is not equal to karachi's Di*k :lol:

population of mumbai : 13,830,884
density : 22,922 /km2
Area : 437.71 km2 (169 sq mi)

population of karachi: 13,052,000
- Density: 3,700.6/km2 (9,584.5/sq mi)
Area : 3,527 km2 (1,361.8 sq mi)

Lol the fanbois are out in full force cherry picking pictures to suit their version of reality.

The second pic is from the telegraph.uk site if you haven't looked already.. :rolleyes:

And the third pic was posted somewhere on this forum..

lol so what the image is from telegraph ??? when u write slums in karachi in googles mostly pics which google shows are of mumbai slums not karachi and the pic u talking about by telegraph.uk there are no high rise around orangi town while dharavi have high rise and the houses in orangi town are not of steels crap they are properly made houses with bricks

Lol the fanbois are out in full force cherry picking pictures to suit their version of reality.

lol :p u can also post pics of dharavi if u think they are good for posting here :P

Lol..is this the best you can do ??

You asked for the words from UNDP. I showed you.

Be graceful and accept defeat. :lol:

We are talking specifically about slums..Not about poverty. If you want open another thread and post that.

Talk of "shifting goal posts" :lol:

yes i know u are talking about slums here is sum gud info for u

Mumbai stands at No 2 on national list of slum-dwellers

Mumbai may have a large portion of its population living in slums, but there are now 188 other cities and towns in India that are also battling the problem of slums. The Census data for 2001 shows Maharashtra, ranked second in the country after Andhra Pradesh which has the dubious distinction of having the highest number of slums.

While Andhra Pradesh has 36 slum cities, Maharashtra has 26.
Strangely, the largest and most-populous state in the country—Uttar Pradesh—is No 3 with 25 slum cities.

The data was released on Wednesday bythe Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation. It shows that almost
all states have slum cities with 50,000 people, and these have one or more slum cities.

Now, considering the sizeable population living in these slums, the Centre has launched two programmes to help out slum-dwellers under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) and the Basic Services to Urban Poor (BSUP).

For the remaining 124 towns, the Integrated Housing and Slum development Programme (IHSDP) has been introduced. The components for assistance include provision of basic services to slum-dwellers whom the government prefers to call urban poor.

Mumbai stands at No 2 on national list of slum-dwellers - Mumbai - DNA

lol :p u can also post pics of dharavi if u think they are good for posting here :P

Since you seem to be getting your daily kicks from posting pictures of Dharavi, let me post pictures of Pakistani slums.

pk1025-Difference-in-Pakist.jpg

pakistan-daily-life-2009-5-29-10-23-16.jpg

1.1235310540.slum2.jpg

This is just a sample and there are much much more whose urls are unfortunately blocked in my office.

BTW even with all these slums the percentage of people living in Slums in India is much lesser than in Pakistan according to UN Habitat

Since you seem to be getting your daily kicks from posting pictures of Dharavi, let me post pictures of Pakistani slums.

pk1025-Difference-in-Pakist.jpg

pakistan-daily-life-2009-5-29-10-23-16.jpg

1.1235310540.slum2.jpg

This is just a sample and there are much much more whose urls are unfortunately blocked in my office.

BTW even with all these slums the percentage of people living in Slums in India is much lesser than in Pakistan according to UN Habitat

lol can u show me sum pic from above like bird eye view of these slums ??? because these are little type slums consist of very few people even i have such people around in my town who work as a labours for making of new homes ...

[QUOTE
BTW even with all these slums the percentage of people living in Slums in India is much lesser than in Pakistan according to UN Habitat[/QUOTE]

PUNE: Forty per cent of Pune’s population, an estimated 14 lakh people, live in slums. According to Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) estimates, some 88,000 people migrated to the city in 2006, of which 45,000 settled in the slums. Every year, the number of people migrating to the city will continue to multiply.

The city might be an IT hub and a centre of learning, but it is fast gaining another epithet, that of a city of slums. The Town and Country Planning Organisation (TCPO), the technical arm of the ministry of urban development, government of India, ranks Pune third in the cities with the largest number of slums in India. Mumbai stands first with 55 per cent of its total population in slums, followed by Meerut with a slum population of 44 per cent. Of the 244 sq km which come under the PMC limits, about 15 sq km, ie six per cent of the total land, is encroached upon by slums.

This despite the state and central government spending crores on slum rehabilitation. More money will flow for slum rehabilitation under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) and Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA). Just last week the municipal standing committee approved tenders worth Rs 200 crore for the same purpose.

Pune’s slum population has grown by 176 per cent since 1991 thanks to constant migration. “One can’t stop migration but there could definitely be a master plan in place to manage the floating population,” says Pratima Joshi of Shelter Associates. She said that once a master plan is in place, housing stock could be created and facilities like dormitories provided. “If we manage the migratory population by catering to their temporary accommodation needs, many problems would be solved,” said Joshi.

lol can u show me sum pic from above like bird eye view of these slums ??? because these are little type slums consist of very few people even i have such people around in my town who work as a labours for making of new homes ...

Hey birdie just because they are not in google doesnt mean they are not there.

And as I said many URL's with choicest pictures are blocked in my office. So if you could wait till evening when I go home , I promise I will give you a visual treat.:agree:

PUNE: Forty per cent of Pune’s population, an estimated 14 lakh people, live in slums. According to Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) estimates, some 88,000 people migrated to the city in 2006, of which 45,000 settled in the slums. Every year, the number of people migrating to the city will continue to multiply.

Still Pakistan has more Slum prevalence than India. :lol:

And its ironic/laughable when these Pakistanis cling on to the bad Bharti media when it suits them and discard it when it doesnt. Such hypocrisy :lol:

Hey birdie just because they are not in google doesnt mean they are not there.

And as I said many URL's with choicest pictures are blocked in my office. So if you could wait till evening when I go home , I promise I will give you a visual treat.:agree:

Still Pakistan has more Slum prevalence than India. :lol:
:rofl: yar i dnt want to waste my time on u ,, u can compare standard of living of dharavi with orangi town u will find out dharavi is sh*t ;) u can also read about orangi town which is town of lower middle class people unlike dharavi which is full of Sh*t and dirty street etc :sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom