What's new

Slums in India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thread. However, It's been discussed countless times on our boards. In fact, after the success of "Slumdog Millionaire" the Slums of India have been a hot topic on various forums.

Frankly, we all know that India has slums. It's nothing new. So I don't see a point of this thread. But I will submit a picture that pretty much haunts me from time to time and makes me feel thankful for all the blessings Allah Subhanautallah has provided me with. We ALL should be thankful for our blessings and should help poor people throughout the "World" in any way possible. And yes, we all should start from our own homes and people.

With so much wealth and resources in the world, poverty should have been a thing of the past. Unfortunately, it still exists. Hopefully one day, no one would have to go through the ordeal of living in a slum.

77bd7cca083e3eb22c9788cc06c5e63f.jpg

Actually, Statically speaking Pakistan has far less poor population then India but i don't know what IMF has to do with this thread.Please don't troll.This thread is strictly related to Indian Slums.

There are comments being made abt democracy, india's minorities, pak's superior economic status to india etc etc. thats trolling too mod.

talk abt india's slums alone, don't make snide remarks abt the status of india's minorities etc, there are other threads for it, with statstics etc, just making half assed comments just shows ur frustration. u believe whatver u wanna believe, its called religion, free to practice.

Decried by many as "racist poverty ****" and condemned by Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachan in his blog for showing India as "a third world dirty under belly developing nation (sic)", the movie Slumdog Millionaire has been greeted by howls of protests in India. But it has been widely acclaimed in the West. It is sparking international interest in the vast slums of Mumbai.

Poverty tours in India, Brazil and South Africa are not an entirely new phenomenon. Favela tours in Rio De Janeiro in Brazil and South African shanty town tours have attracted tourists for years. It is primarily the popular Slumdog Millionaire, nominated for 10 Oscars including Best Picture award, that is translating to more rubberneckers in the Mumbai, India, slum where it was filmed — and is re-igniting a debate over the ethics of "poverty tourism", according to USA Today. Chris Way, the co-founder of Reality Tours that operates the poverty tour of the Mumbai slum, estimates that sales are up by about 25% since Slumdog Millionaire's release. Though he credits some of the increase to a gradual rebound in tourism after terrorist attacks in Mumbai killed more than 170 people in November, publicity surrounding the film has played a big role.

Haq's Musings: Poverty Tours in Resurgent India

India slum as "art" photgraphy:

An alternate view of "beautiful india" .....

This Haq is lying. 'Slumdog Millionaire' welcomed in India.

Some people like, some people criticize. Same like other country.

Decried by many as "racist poverty ****" and condemned by Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachan in his blog for showing India as "a third world dirty under belly developing nation (sic)", the movie Slumdog Millionaire has been greeted by howls of protests in India. But it has been widely acclaimed in the West. It is sparking international interest in the vast slums of Mumbai.

Poverty tours in India, Brazil and South Africa are not an entirely new phenomenon. Favela tours in Rio De Janeiro in Brazil and South African shanty town tours have attracted tourists for years. It is primarily the popular Slumdog Millionaire, nominated for 10 Oscars including Best Picture award, that is translating to more rubberneckers in the Mumbai, India, slum where it was filmed — and is re-igniting a debate over the ethics of "poverty tourism", according to USA Today. Chris Way, the co-founder of Reality Tours that operates the poverty tour of the Mumbai slum, estimates that sales are up by about 25% since Slumdog Millionaire's release. Though he credits some of the increase to a gradual rebound in tourism after terrorist attacks in Mumbai killed more than 170 people in November, publicity surrounding the film has played a big role.

Haq's Musings: Poverty Tours in Resurgent India

This is an old phenomenon. A poignant scene in noted Bharati film of the 80's Naam had the hero disgusted with Elite Bharatias who were oggling photos of poverty stricken slum dwellers.

Sadly, poverty does sell.

CLOSING both threads as it will only lead to flaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom