What's new

Six million preventable child deaths - the biggest child rights violation...a silent

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is the first reply to the forum.

Calling a respectable senior member "troll" is an offense.

Post reported.

So if someone called someone else a troll, you should report it. You abused an entire country, not even that person, thats racist. hence you got the responses from indians too.

being a senior member, your behaviour is disappointing. Mods should indeed have a look at how you fmaled the entire thread by abusing the entire nation of india.

INDIA NEED 300 YEARS TO LIFT ALL ITS PEOPLE OUT OF EXTREME LEVELS OF POVERTY - a knol by Mr. Chandrak Pandya
Wake up Indians, do something about it before its too late,

Save the future of your country= "Children"

Stop buried your head in the sand

A dark reality BY C.M.PANDYA

The mood among affluent and middle-class Indians as the country marks its 58th year as a republic is unabashedly celebratory. Everywhere they look there is evidence that India is finally being taken seriously as an economic and political powerhouse.

President Nicolas Sarkozy of France has called for India to be part of an expanded “Group of 8.” Prime Minister Gordon Brown of Britain has expressed support for India’s place as a permanent member of a refashioned UN Security Council. The World Bank and financial leaders at the World Economic Forum are looking to India to help power the world out of its economic downturn. India’s finance minister, Palaniappan Chidambaram, has predicted another year of over 9 percent economic growth, record foreign investment, and low inflation.

So it is little wonder that prosperous Indians increasingly think of their country as “Incredible India!,” the tag line of the government’s global advertising campaign.

While there is some welcome truth to these new images, the defining reality of India is that it remains the land of mass poverty, scarcely less so than before its economy began to take off 15 years ago.

The government’s latest survey of living standards reports that the number of extremely poor Indians, those chronically unable to consume even the minimum calories needed for full functioning, is an astonishing 301 million, just 19 million less than in 1983. At this rate, it would take India 300 years to lift all its people out of even the most extreme levels of poverty. The survey’s results suggest that extreme poverty has fallen no faster, and possibly more slowly, in the past 15 years of spectacular economic growth than in earlier periods, challenging the popular notion that money “trickles down” to all.

Moreover, the true scale of poverty and deprivation is far greater than that suggested by even the huge ranks of the extremely poor. A recent report by the prominent economist Arjun Sengupta, chairman of a key government commission on labor conditions, emphasized that another 50 percent of India’s people, over 500 million in all, live on less than 20 rupees a day, which puts them above the official poverty line but still leaves them “in abject poverty and excluded from all the glory of a shining India.” Twenty rupees is about 50 U.S. cents, but adjusted for purchasing power falls somewhat below the $2 a day international poverty line. While the proportion of Indians living in such poverty has being falling slowly, their absolute numbers have risen by 100 million in the past 15 years alone.

Poverty has never been high on India’s political agendas. The interests of India’s business elite and growing middle classes dominate media attention. Celebrations of prosperity, typified by the “Incredible India!” campaign, drown out the ubiquitous evidence that the vast majority of Indians lead desperate lives. The view from middle-class India today is that theirs is a land of wealthy and middle-class people, with a small and shrinking minority of impoverished people. No wonder: In a interview with the BBC earlier this year Chidambaram, a key architect of narrow business-friendly reforms, asserted, “I’m confident we can wipe out poverty by 2040.”

What will it take to transform India’s newfound dynamism and prosperity into a meaningful reduction in poverty?

The first step is government recognition of the true scale of poverty. For decades, successive Indian governments have played down the scale of the poverty challenge by insisting that the cut-off line marking poverty be set extraordinarily low, at a level that most experts would consider not poverty but outright destitution. (India’s poverty line is significantly lower than even the widely used $1 per day extreme poverty line.) A report by the Center for Policy Alternatives estimates that a poverty line adequate to cover the costs of meeting such basic human needs as education, nutrition, health care, clothing, safe water and sanitation, would be roughly twice as high as the poverty line in use today. Nearly 80 percent of India’s population would be considered impoverished were the government to adopt this poverty line.

Faced with a true recognition of the massive extent of poverty, the Indian state’s response must certainly include further efforts to sustain the rapid economic growth of recent years. It is this performance that has moved some 90 million Indians into the middle-and upper-class. But with hundreds of millions remaining impoverished, and millions more added to the work force every year, India needs a pattern of economic growth that rapidly creates many decently paid jobs. This requires far more success in expanding manufacturing and industry, following China’s example, rather than just the services sector. And, even more critically, it requires rural prosperity through ending the disastrous neglect of agriculture, rural infrastructure (particularly state-provided irrigation), and rural industries. The lobbyists from trade, finance and business - who have been embraced too closely by almost all of India’s political parties - have little interest in these areas.

Economic growth and jobs will create avenues for the educated and the healthy among the poor to begin to rise out of poverty. But hundreds of millions of Indians are poorly educated or outright illiterate, malnourished, vulnerable to illness, and often oppressed - with the lowest castes, Muslims, and women of the populous northern states worst off.

Setting right these inequities requires not just more money - though far higher government investments are needed on some fronts, such as public health and providing social security benefits to every one of the poor. Much of the billions spent on India’s panoply of poverty programs ends up in the pockets of the country’s legion of corrupt officials, politicians and business people; another large share is never spent because of bureaucratic inefficiency. There are no quick-fix solutions to such problems. Without the mobilization of the poor in rural and urban areas alike, and agrarian reform, neither the government nor the private sector will ever deliver education, health or other vital programs to the poor in a manner that will remedy the backlog of the past. India’s peninsular states have a far better track record on basic services and, increasingly, on poverty, precisely because of decades of political and social movements committed to equity. Such social mobilization is the foundation for eventually making India’s democracy responsive to the country’s impoverished majority. Incredible India! is still very far from a reality on the ground. It will take nothing less than several decades of commitment to pro-poor economic growth, government reform and mobilization in favor of the poor to realize this vision of India.
:smitten::pakistan::china:

Guyz please ignore communist. He got mad. He was trying kill dog to eat but was badly bitten :(.

So if someone called someone else a troll, you should report it. You abused an entire country, not even that person, thats racist. hence you got the responses from indians too.

being a senior member, your behaviour is disappointing.

He used the word China also.

Here comes "THE GREAT TROLL OF CHINA"

What does this post mean? Some is the great troll and others are trolls?

Why did he use the word China? Why?

Hope mods read all my posts.

Guyz please ignore communist. He got mad. He was trying kill dog to eat but was badly bitten :(.

Again reported.

I will wait for two hours more, then you will get my replies if mods do not take action in between.

He used the word China also.

What does this post mean? Some is the great troll and others are trolls?

Why did he use the word China? Why?

Hope mods read all my posts.

First of all, you were not involved, he called greyboy that

secondly he called him 'from china' because greyboy is from china. there's no abuse hurled at china here, you are being super sensitive about the word china, i wonder why.

if i say 'XYZ is a terrorist from india' i'm not calling india names.

I'm done with your melodrama here. YOU flamed the thread, mods should have a look at your behaviour.

This one is the first response to this thread.

I don't understand what that means, but why are you reporting Indians for being racist, yet you thanked a Chinese member that essentialy called all Indians stupid by bringing up their IQ?

Why can't Indians and Chinese :kiss3:

First of all, you were not involved, he called greyboy that

secondly he called him 'from china' because greyboy is from china. there's no abuse hurled at china here, you are being super sensitive about the word china, i wonder why.

if i say 'XYZ is a terrorist from india' i'm not calling india names.

No more off topic replies.

In this forum only communist will remain all others will be banned.:rofl::rofl:

I don't understand what that means, but why are you reporting Indians for being racist, yet you thanked a Chinese member that essentialy called all Indians stupid by bringing up their IQ?

Why can't Indians and Chinese :kiss3:

This is my last off topic reply.

Let the mods decide who first started insult in a chronological way.

:wave:

Which is worse: Inequality or Extreme Poverty? A wide angle view of India 2009 May 15
Indians, speak up for the "Life and Death" of Indian Children !!!

.As all of us know the one real issue facing India is poverty. Today’s economic downturn has pushed more people into poverty than ever. 200,000 to 400,000 more babies will die each year. Most of them will be will be in Africa but one cannot help wondering how many of them will be in India. It is disturbing to know that India is now ahead only of sub-Saharan Africa when it comes to the percentage of people living in extreme poverty. The World Bank defines the extremely poor as those who earn less that USD 1.25 a day. Let’s check out India’s progress over the years:

India – 51.3% of the population below the poverty line
China – 60.2%
Sub-Saharan Africa – 57.6%

India – 41.6 percent
China -15.9%
Sub-Saharan Africa – 50.9%

2015 projections
India – 24.4%
China – 6.1%
Sub-Saharan Africa – 37.1%

China is leap frogging, and the World Bank has said that it has surpassed its target. India apparently is on target while Sub-Saharan Africa is not.

I have capitalist ideas (although not of the extreme variety) and I believe the answer lies in encouraging business. So far it has worked for India, if one goes by the figures of the last decade.

Many find the inequality more disturbing than the poverty
There are those who find it discomforting to have slums and affluence side by side, and in fact find it more disturbing than the actual poverty. In India the gap between the haves and the have-nots seems to be rising and it is creating discontent amongst the poor as well. Let’s take a look at the Gini coefficient which measures inequality of income distribution. The lower the number, the more the equality. The map showing comparisons between countries is from the wiki. India doesn’t fare too badly. Income disparity seems very high in South America and higher in China than in India, although there are fewer poor people in China.

A high Gini coefficient can lead to an unstable society. But a way to tackle the discontent that arises in an in unequal society is to ensure equal opportunity for all. This is easier said than done as it is not happening even in advanced and liberal economies according to this article from The Economist.

There might also be an argument in favour of wealth disparities if social mobility was high and the sons and daughters of office cleaners could fairly easily rise to become chief executives. But America and Britain have the highest intergenerational correlations between the social status of fathers and sons; the lowest are found in egalitarian Norway and Denmark. Things are even worse for ethnic minorities; a black American born in the bottom quintile of the population (by income) has a 42% chance of staying there as an adult, compared with 17% for a white person.

I need hardly add that India will fare worse than America. The high costs of education must be one of the obstacles to success in a country like America. A few smart people can rise in life without an education, but most cannot. In India college education is not that expensive but often it is not of a good quality. Not that all of the poor manage to get themselves educated. The extreme poverty forces parents to send their children off to work, not to school. And then in India there is far too much reliance on influence and contacts when it comes to jobs. This ensures that the system promotes those who are already well-to-do and influential. Yes, talent is wasted, and many smart people are confined to hovels. Lack of hope leads to dissatisfaction and anger. We know that this is the case in India but why is there less dissatisfaction in America if indeed their society does not provide equal opportunity for all?

The theory (based on studies) put forward by The Economist is that Americans put up with the system because they have unrealistic expectations of their chances of success. In reality only 2-3% of the poor have a chance of becoming rich, but as many as 31% think that they can . And only about 12-17% of the middle class actually become rich but over 50% of them think they can!

Random conversations with poor people in India will reveal that they do not expect to become rich. If they have not turned unhappy and bitter it is more to do with the fact that they have accepted their “karma”. A time will come when they won’t accept it and in fact the new generation isn’t accepting it. If India doesn’t give them opportunities we will have grave problems. Naxalism is an ever present danger.
:smitten::pakistan::china:

To all my Indian Bretheren,

I think Greyboy and Communist have raised some serious issues here and we should all take note of the conditions that many of our countrymen live in......

Poverty, Malnutrition, Infant mortality, illiteracy are all extremely serious problems that our country faces....

I for one am going to take heed to this eye opener from our generous Chinese friends who were kind enough to remind us of the not so incredible side of India....I thank them for it....

But my cause is selfish and I do have a small request towards our Chinese friends......

I contribute yearly to the Abraham George Foundation in India thats located in the outskirts of Bangalore....It is a foundation that was started by an ex-soldier of IA who resides in the US who felt for the needs of the less fortunate in India.....

The foundation is unique in that it caters purely to the children who have parents who cant afford schooling, are orphans, have been sexually abused and those who live below the poverty line by providing them room, board, free education till 12th grade and resources such as internet, books etc so that these kids may one day have the chance to become successful and self reliant.

It is my humble request to all Indians to contribute to this foundation....

But more so I request GreyBoy and Communist in particular who have shown their undying spirit in bringing these issues to the forefront and highlighting them in front of the Indians who may have been temporarily glamored by "Incredible India"......

GreyBoy and Communist please show us how its done and be the first ones to contribute to this foundation as it may help out the many poor, malnutritioned, sexually abused children of India who you have much love and concern for as has been proven from your efforts on this thread....

Please see below for the Link

Poverty Eradication in India - The George Foundation

Here is some information regarding the founder.....

Abraham George - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greyboy and Communist....Please do put screenshots of your donations on the forum so the rest of the Indians can put to rest their doubts about your intentions......

My Indian brothers and sisters, please pass on the message....our country needs us......

Together we will make a difference

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom