What's new

Six million preventable child deaths - the biggest child rights violation...a silent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infant mortality rate India’s enduring shame
2b2af2a57a03ccc0fa03eb4ba03581d8.jpg
The economic boom being experienced by India masks a shameful failure to control a shocking rate of infant deaths among the country’s poorest.

Over 400,000 newborns die within the first 24 hours of their birth every year, the highest anywhere in the world, a study by an international non-government organisation, ‘Save the Children’, has declared.

According to the NGO, despite a decade of rapid economic growth, India’s record on child mortality at 72 per 1,000 live births is worse than that of neighbouring Bangladesh, one of the poorest countries in the world.

Two million children under five years of age die—one every 15 seconds—each year in India, also the highest anywhere in the world, it said. Of these more than half die in the first month of their birth.

Moreover, one-third of all malnourished children live in India, 46 per cent of children under three are underweight in the country, and over two-thirds of infants die within the very first month of their birth. Ninety per cent of these deaths occur due to easily preventable causes like pneumonia and diarrhoea.

Chances of survival

The report’s findings say that a child’s chances of survival varies enormously simply because it is born in one state rather than the other. For instance, the infant mortality rate in Orissa is 96 per 1,000 live births, while in Kerala it is only 14 per 1,000.

The most disturbing element about this development indicator is that low-cost interventions could reduce neonatal mortality by up to 70 per cent if provided universally, which obviously is not happening in India, if one goes by the findings of the study. Incidentally, India ranks 171 out of 175 countries in public health spending.

“In nearly all cases, the infections and conditions that are the direct causes of death within the first 28 days of a child’s life are preventable and treatable with proven low-cost interventions,” says ‘Save the Children’, which on Sunday launched “Every One”, a campaign in India and 40 other countries to call for renewed commitment to ensuring the survival of newborns and children under the age of five.

Unfulfilled promise

In 2000, 189 heads of state and governments, including India, made a promise to reduce the under five mortality rate by two-thirds by 2015 under the United Nation’s Millennium Development Goal No 4 (MDG4).

However, going by the present trends, India will not meet MDG4 until 2020, which is five years after the promised date, ‘Save the Children’ points out.

Even countries like Nepal, Bangladesh, Peru and the Philippines are on track to meet MDG4, exploding the myth that the costs of reducing new born and child mortality are high, it says.

DH News Service :smitten::pakistan::china:

I want to see whether mods want some members to discuss issues in a serious manner and thereby contribute to the forum, or they just want to protect some newly joined racist trolls at the cost of some serious members.

Communist & Grey Boy 2,

Guys, we get the point. There's no point posting any more when people are in denial of reality.

Just like you gave me good advice, here's my advice:

When you are dealing with an opponent who is unwilling to change for the better, no amount of sound reasoning or compassion is going to change them. Fact is there are people who won't listen to logic, nor to pleas of mercy. The only solution is EMPOWERMENT. Do you see bullies pick on the toughest guy on the block?! No, hell no! Do you see retards arguing with the smartest AND most powerful guy in town?! No, hell no! Do you see losers making fun of the most popular and influential guy in the community?! No, hell no!

But sometimes the bully over estimates himself, the retard doesn't shut up, and the loser annoys the wrong person. Relax, rest assured that when this happens he gets his *** served to him.

If they make fun of your weakness, then become stronger!

If they make fun of your intelligence, then become smarter!

If they make fun of your status, then become more influential!

So stop posting or you'll become a retard just like them in the eyes the world. :)

This post provoked my brother to retaliate.

Congrats!! You are supporting racism...!!
Give a rope to communist, and you can trust him to tie a noose around his neck.:lol:

You have reported super_star's post was racist. Then how come you didn't report feifanke's post as racist, admitting that his was a retaliatory post. Leave aside reporting, you have actually thanked it.

Can one be more brazen in selectively supporting racism?

You are not as good a spin doctor as you think you are.

Communist & Grey Boy 2,

Guys, we get the point. There's no point posting any more when people are in denial of reality.

So stop posting or you'll become a retard just like them in the eyes the world. :)

Agreed. Mod please close this thread.

Communist & Grey Boy 2,

My question is Chinese members join this forum because it is a Pakistani Defense forum, they do not go to indian forums. Can you find me a single Chinese member in BR?

Now this forum like other Pakistani forums build a good relationship between people of Pakistan and China. Now if Chinese members face racism here and why should they join this forum? They can just be visitors, no need to create accounts and contribute to the forum.

I hope mods finally understand crucial fact.

‘5,000 kids under 5 die in India daily’ Saturday , Nov 21, 2009 at 0246 hrs

Despite an improvement in child mortality figures, 5,000 children under the age of five die in India everyday due to preventable causes, according to the latest Unicef report “State of the World’s Children”. Within the under five mortality rate, 96 per cent of children who die belong to the Scheduled Tribes, 88 per cent to Scheduled Castes and 59 per cent to general population.

“It is early marriage and inadequate health care of women which adversely affects the survival of their children,”said Karen Hulshoff, Country Representative of Unicef. The report says malnutrition rates in India continue to be high. Though the percentage of malnourished children below the age of three has decreased from 52 per cent to 46 per cent, it is still way below the Millennium Development Goals (MDG).

“Farmers have made their voices heard throughout the Capital and the country, but not the children. Children have no lobby,” that was how Dr Sayeda Hameed, Member of Planning Commission, summed up the situation of the country’s children and the enormous task that faces policymakers and child rights activists.”But that too, is changing,” she added.:smitten::pakistan::china:

This post provoked my brother to retaliate.

So Chinese are aloud to post racist rederic because you are "provocked" but Indians should be reported to the mods? You go around crying foul and reporting Indian for racism, or lack there of, yet you support racism directed at Indian.

Why did he personally attack a senior respectable member who positively contributed a lot to this forum and bash his nation?

Just because someone has a high post count doesn't mean they are better than anyone else. Infact i see alot of "sinior members" acting like 12 year olds with mental retardasion.

This thread should be locked.

Stop it now,

You are making a fool of yourself and all of us. The advantage we had (before) was that Indians would go on an out-of-control temper tantrum and boast about nonsensical things.

Even though you are backing this up with solid facts, it becomes ANNOYING. Just like when I got angry and posting stuff (which happen to be very true) but "inconvenient" for the moment.

If there is a REAL problem, there is NO WAY the enemy will listen to your reason. A retaliatory attack may not be best solution. In this case, we focus on what is IMPORTANT (and leave this useless arguing).

What is important is that while they whine and post inflamatory stuff about us, we WORK TO IMPROVE OURSELVES.

Tomorrow after tomorrow, there's always tomorrow. But if I do nothing today, but only wait for tomorrow, I'll get nothing done today.

Seems like Grey boy left with out telling me the answer of is China also following the guide line of World bank for defining poverty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom