Sirisena's first overseas visit will be to India

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Sirisena's first overseas visit will be to India - The Hindu

10in_thsri_siri_2274903e.jpg

The new Sri Lankan President accepted Prime Minister Narendra Modi's invitation to visit the country first

Sri Lanka's newly-elected President Maithripala Sirisena will make his first State visit overseas to India.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi called Mr. Sirisena on Friday to congratulate him on his poll victory.

'Mr. Modi invited our President to come to India first. He proposes to go next month," said Rajitha Senaratne, senior politician and spokesman of Mr. Sirisena.

I wonder how long before ppl on this forum accuse him of being a R&AW agent..

Good Development,Hope India-Sri Lanka relations improve to have a robust trade and partnerships in Defence,Research,infrastructure and other fields.

Now this is news I like

@Gibbs , seems that India and SL will share good relations now. GoI has no longer has Tamil Nadu political dependencies and SL Leader seems to be sending a message to India as well.

With new president in Sri Lanka and pro west P.M wickramsinghe i hope foreign policy of lanka will not be detrimental for India anymore.

I wonder how long before ppl on this forum accuse him of being a R&AW agent..

Only those people will think so who doesn't want to see good relations between Sri Lanka and India. SAARC countries have to work together.

Now this is news I like

@Gibbs , seems that India and SL will share good relations now. GoI has no longer has Tamil Nadu political dependencies and SL Leader seems to be sending a message to India as well.

I don't think so... The GOI terribly needs support in Rajya Shaba!

Welcome Sir!

I don't think so... The GOI terribly needs support in Rajya Shaba!

No I think if Lok Sabha passes a bill and Rajya Sabha does not then that bill passes automatically after 6 months. For the intervening 6 months govt. can pass an ordinance.
I may be wrong though.

Good Development,Hope India-Sri Lanka relations improve to have a robust trade and partnerships in Defence,Research,infrastructure and other fields.

I think the relationships might improve, if India will ensure she does not support the cross-border terrorism in Sri Lanka any more and would not start creating yet another terror outfit like LTTE etc.

Hope to see the same vis-a-vis Nepal, Bangladesh & Pakistan. The region has a huge potential to become something very powerful if India would drop this "Akhand Baharat" doctorine.

With new president in Sri Lanka and pro west P.M wickramsinghe i hope foreign policy of lanka will not be detrimental for India anymore.

The new Sri Lankan president is a figurehead. I wouldn't waste my time on him. He was merely used by the United National Party (UNP) to come to power. I find it quite interesting (and amusing to an extent) how the Indian media is going to great lengths to learn about Maithripala Sirisena and comparing him to Mahinda Rajapaksa when the former is actually just a sock puppet of his master Ranil Wickremasinghe. As a non-English speaking rural peasant he is the sort of person that the elite-dominated UNP holds in contempt. Ranil Wickramasinghe is the real power here and he is going to play India on behalf of the USA. He has done this before when he was in power.

This is is gameplan:

1. Develop very close relations with India, especially its leadership. He will discuss things like "economic partnership" and even using Indian currency as legal tender in the island, as well as a road bridge to South India across the Ram Setu. The (naive) Indian leadership will be enthralled (just like they were previously when he wanted to hand control of Sri Lankan land to the LTTE). You will then start to see the USA softening its anti-Sri Lankan stand and even start to gift Sri Lanka military equipment like ships and start training programs on Sri Lankan soil (unthinkable at present). The next step will be trying to access Colombo and Trincomalee as strategic US bases in the Indian Ocean. The USA tried this with the Maldives and failed after India objected to the Maldivian government. Ranil will not be so easy to 'tame.' This is the same man who let the USA use Sri Lankan airports for rendition flights. If it is China that India feared, then it is the USA that India now needs to look out for. Ranil will open up Sri Lanka to all western NGOs that want to set up base in India but can't, even those that are inimical to Indian interests and hide it under a neo-liberal democratic discourse.

Ranil is a very cunning fox and India will have to handle him carefully. The USA has a very crafty and intelligent puppet in him. I would suggest that any Indian posters here with connections get this message through to the higher echelons of the Indian government.

Last edited:
The new Sri Lankan president is a figurehead. I wouldn't waste my time on him. He was merely used by the United National Party (UNP) to come to power. I find it quite interesting (and amusing to an extent) how the Indian media is going to great lengths to learn about Maithripala Sirisena and comparing him to Mahinda Rajapaksa when the former is actually just a sock puppet of his master Ranil Wickremasinghe. As a non-English speaking rural peasant he is the sort of person that the elite-dominated UNP holds in contempt. Ranil Wickramasinghe is the real power here and he is going to play India on behalf of the USA. He has done this before when he was in power.

This is is gameplan:

1. Develop very close relations with India, especially its leadership. He will discuss things like "economic partnership" and even using Indian currency as legal tender in the island, as well as a road bridge to South India across the Ram Setu. The (naive) Indian leadership will be enthralled (just like they were previously when he wanted to hand control of Sri Lankan land to the LTTE). You will then start to see the USA softening its anti-Sri Lankan stand and even start to gift Sri Lanka military equipment like ships and start training programs on Sri Lankan soil (unthinkable at present). The next step will be trying to access Colombo and Trincomalee as strategic US bases in the Indian Ocean. This is the same man who let the USA use Sri Lankan airports for rendition flights. If it is China that India feared, then it is the USA that India now needs to look out for. Ranil will open up Sri Lanka to all western NGOs that want to set up base in India, even those that are inimical to Indian interests.

Ranil is a very cunning fox and India will have to handle him carefully. The USA has a very crafty puppet in him.

India would never allow a US Navy base in the region. Diego Garcia is as far as it can get.

If you go back in history, The SL govt's pro-US stand (to the extent of discussions on possible USN bases in SL) was the major reason for India's support to LTTE in the early stages(1980s).

I think the relationships might improve, if India will ensure she does not support the cross-border terrorism in Sri Lanka any more and would not start creating yet another terror outfit like LTTE etc.

Hope to see the same vis-a-vis Nepal, Bangladesh & Pakistan. The region has a huge potential to become something very powerful if India would drop this "Akhand Baharat" doctorine.
The New Government doesn't face the dead weight of TN dravidian parties and LTTE sympathizers as was evident when Modi invited Rajapakse even after jayalalitha and other protested.
Akhand Bharat doctrine is only spouted by Pakistanis who want you to believe that India is going to annex all neighbouring nations around it,infact they were the ones who keep Attacking India and we had 4 wars because of that.
If we wanted to annex other nations we would have done so long time ago, the reason we didnt annex Bangladesh even after liberating it from West Pakistan is we are not interested in it.
Nepal and Bhutan are small nations yet we never annexed them,if you believe in Pakistani propaganda India will annex the whole World according to them.
Pakistan will always be a roadblock,they were the only party which didnt want to sign the Free trade agreement which all the SAARC members were ready to sign but Pakistan was not.

We believe,there won't be any change nor is Pakistan willing to change,so if they don't want to be part of the group why tie down others because of them.

Last edited:
The new president is a figurehead. I wouldn't waste my time on him. He was merely used by the United National Party (UNP) to come to power. As a non-English speaking rural peasant he is the sort of person that the elite-dominated UNP holds in contempt. Ranil Wickramasinghe is the real power here and he is going to play India on behalf of the USA. He has done this before when he was in power.

This is is gameplan:

1. Develop very close relations with India, especially its leadership. He will discuss things like "economic partnership" and even using Indian currency as legal tender in the island, as well as a road bridge to South India across the Ram Setu. You will then start to see the USA softening its anti-Sri Lankan stand and even start to gift Sri Lanka military equipment like ships and start training programs on Sri Lankan soil. The next step will be trying to access Colombo and Trincomalee as strategic US bases in the Indian Ocean. If it is China that India feared, then it is the USA that India now needs to look out for. Ranil will open up Sri Lanka to all western NGOs that want to set up base in India, even those that are inimical to Indian interests.

Ranil is a very cunning fox and India will have to handle him carefully. The USA has a very crafty puppet in him.
sir u made very relevant points regarding Ranil role in aligning lankan foreign policy with west as because of UPA policy India has lost its traditional influence in Sri as i think Hambantota was offered to inda earlier.
BTW i want your views on the following
1)How can India or even US able to remove well entrenched china from S.L

2)Why don't India give US a foothold in the region may be a naval base in andamans.

Back
Top Bottom