What's new

Sirisena's first overseas visit will be to India

Since India is next go Sri lanka, it's natural for these two countries to have good relationship. Let's hope for friendship between these two countries.

Now this is news I like

@Gibbs , seems that India and SL will share good relations now. GoI has no longer has Tamil Nadu political dependencies and SL Leader seems to be sending a message to India as well.

India and SL did enjoy good relations for a while now.. Even the Rajapaksa regime had a good understanding with successive Indian govts.. The only sore point is antics and attrition pilotics from TN for even better relations but with the Modi govt at the center that too have been negated somewhat

sir u made very relevant points regarding Ranil role in aligning lankan foreign policy with west as because of UPA policy India has lost its traditional influence in Sri as i think Hambantota was offered to inda earlier.
BTW i want your views on the following
1)How can India or even US able to remove well entrenched china from S.L

2)Why don't India give US a foothold in the region may be a naval base in andamans.

1) Diplomacy might not be all about money but let's face it investing $$$ is the easiest way to try and manipulate things. So let's work on bringing economy back on track first

2)That my friend would be a fallacy and might never happen if you ask me

The new Sri Lankan president is a figurehead. I wouldn't waste my time on him. He was merely used by the United National Party (UNP) to come to power. I find it quite interesting (and amusing to an extent) how the Indian media is going to great lengths to learn about Maithripala Sirisena and comparing him to Mahinda Rajapaksa when the former is actually just a sock puppet of his master Ranil Wickremasinghe. As a non-English speaking rural peasant he is the sort of person that the elite-dominated UNP holds in contempt. Ranil Wickramasinghe is the real power here and he is going to play India on behalf of the USA. He has done this before when he was in power.

This is is gameplan:

1. Develop very close relations with India, especially its leadership. He will discuss things like "economic partnership" and even using Indian currency as legal tender in the island, as well as a road bridge to South India across the Ram Setu. The (naive) Indian leadership will be enthralled (just like they were previously when he wanted to hand control of Sri Lankan land to the LTTE). You will then start to see the USA softening its anti-Sri Lankan stand and even start to gift Sri Lanka military equipment like ships and start training programs on Sri Lankan soil (unthinkable at present). The next step will be trying to access Colombo and Trincomalee as strategic US bases in the Indian Ocean. The USA tried this with the Maldives and failed after India objected to the Maldivian government. Ranil will not be so easy to 'tame.' This is the same man who let the USA use Sri Lankan airports for rendition flights. If it is China that India feared, then it is the USA that India now needs to look out for. Ranil will open up Sri Lanka to all western NGOs that want to set up base in India but can't, even those that are inimical to Indian interests and hide it under a neo-liberal democratic discourse.

Ranil is a very cunning fox and India will have to handle him carefully. The USA has a very crafty and intelligent puppet in him. I would suggest that any Indian posters here with connections get this message through to the higher echelons of the Indian government.

We have already made it clear we will not tolerate any US military presence in our backyard
Simple as that just take a look at what US has done to a Pakistan

We have already made it clear we will not tolerate any US military presence in our backyard
Simple as that just take a look at what US has done to a Pakistan

You don't understand the USA and Sri Lanka's Ranil Wickremasinghe very well then if you think just "making it clear" is enough. Hopefully more intelligent people are running India's foreign policy.

1) Diplomacy might not be all about money but let's face it investing $$$ is the easiest way to try and manipulate things. So let's work on bringing economy back on track first

2)That my friend would be a fallacy and might never happen if you ask me
1) Buddy that would take some time as India poised to become $5 trillion economy in 2025.

2)why not ,if Pakistan can give indian territory to china why can't India.

"In May 2002, the Sri Lankan Government (under Ranil Wickremasinghe) negotiated an "Acquisition and Cross Servicing Agreement (ACSA)" with the United States. This agreement would allow the United States military to utilize Sri Lanka's ports, airports and air space. It was widely anticipated that the agreement would be signed during Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe's visit to America in July 2002. It did not happen. Why? India quietly let it be known to Sri Lanka of its "displeasure" about the agreement. India did not want any American or other western military presence, even a transit arrangement, in Sri Lanka."

The same stuff is going to happen this time round, except India will not have the LTTE as a trump card.

Like I said, forget about Maithripala Sirisena... the real man to watch is Ranil Wickremasinghe.

You don't understand the USA and Sri Lanka's Ranil Wickremasinghe very well then if you think just "making it clear" is enough. Hopefully more intelligent people are running India's foreign policy.

There are some fine lines that US knows that it should not cross one of then us establishing based close to our borders & Ya more intelligent people are running the country

"In May 2002, the Sri Lankan Government (under Ranil Wickremasinghe) negotiated an "Acquisition and Cross Servicing Agreement (ACSA)" with the United States. This agreement would allow the United States military to utilize Sri Lanka's ports, airports and air space. It was widely anticipated that the agreement would be signed during Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe's visit to America in July 2002. It did not happen. Why? India quietly let it be known to Sri Lanka of its "displeasure" about the agreement. India did not want any American or other western military presence, even a transit arrangement, in Sri Lanka."

The same stuff is going to happen this time round, except India will not have the LTTE as a trump card.

We share a very good relationship with SL & I am sure SL leadership will acknowledge our concerns & does not attempt any kind if Adventure like before

:no: God Forbid if such thing happens i'll prefer to die first..:sarcastic:
Brahmins who converted to Islam were renamed as shaikh and khwaja so next time you meet a shaikh then don't forget to ask his ancestory.Don't pollute the thread.

Thanks

I think the relationships might improve, if India will ensure she does not support the cross-border terrorism in Sri Lanka any more and would not start creating yet another terror outfit like LTTE etc.

Hope to see the same vis-a-vis Nepal, Bangladesh & Pakistan. The region has a huge potential to become something very powerful if India would drop this "Akhand Baharat" doctorine.
As long as none of our neighbours starts working against Indian interests, India will not work against their interests.
The LTTE support was a response to Sri Lankan Govt agreeing to allow US to set up a base in Sri Lanka.
Now, SL is also clear that as long as nothing is done to harm Indian interests and security, India shall not harm their interests.

As far as Nepal, Bangladesh and Myanmar are concerned, what can I say - we share great relations with all some minor irritants with Bangladesh notwithstanding. Inshallah the minor irritants with Bangladesh will also be removed soon.

The only nation that has a cause for worry with India is Pakistan and rightly so. They are nothing more than an outpost of whichever country gives them maximum aid whether that is KSA, USA or China. India should defend its interests against Pakistan at all costs and with the required aggression.

This is the reason entire South Asia barring Pakistan is progressing and developing fast.
The new Sri Lankan president is a figurehead. I wouldn't waste my time on him. He was merely used by the United National Party (UNP) to come to power. I find it quite interesting (and amusing to an extent) how the Indian media is going to great lengths to learn about Maithripala Sirisena and comparing him to Mahinda Rajapaksa when the former is actually just a sock puppet of his master Ranil Wickremasinghe. As a non-English speaking rural peasant he is the sort of person that the elite-dominated UNP holds in contempt. Ranil Wickramasinghe is the real power here and he is going to play India on behalf of the USA. He has done this before when he was in power.

This is is gameplan:

1. Develop very close relations with India, especially its leadership. He will discuss things like "economic partnership" and even using Indian currency as legal tender in the island, as well as a road bridge to South India across the Ram Setu. The (naive) Indian leadership will be enthralled (just like they were previously when he wanted to hand control of Sri Lankan land to the LTTE). You will then start to see the USA softening its anti-Sri Lankan stand and even start to gift Sri Lanka military equipment like ships and start training programs on Sri Lankan soil (unthinkable at present). The next step will be trying to access Colombo and Trincomalee as strategic US bases in the Indian Ocean. The USA tried this with the Maldives and failed after India objected to the Maldivian government. Ranil will not be so easy to 'tame.' This is the same man who let the USA use Sri Lankan airports for rendition flights. If it is China that India feared, then it is the USA that India now needs to look out for. Ranil will open up Sri Lanka to all western NGOs that want to set up base in India but can't, even those that are inimical to Indian interests and hide it under a neo-liberal democratic discourse.

Ranil is a very cunning fox and India will have to handle him carefully. The USA has a very crafty and intelligent puppet in him. I would suggest that any Indian posters here with connections get this message through to the higher echelons of the Indian government.

As long as none of our neighbours starts working against Indian interests, India will not work against their interests.
The LTTE support was a response to Sri Lankan Govt agreeing to allow US to set up a base in Sri Lanka.
Now, SL is also clear that as long as nothing is done to harm Indian interests and security, India shall not harm their interests...

No matter how much you disagree with the policies of your neighboring country, you have no right to train/support terrorists in that country.

Isn't it what India has been telling everyone?

So now suddenly it is acceptable for you that india supports cros-border terrorism in neighboring countries to promote her national interests?

Please come out of this mentality and also stop supporting cros-border terrorism including TTP, BLA etc in Pakistan. We all want to live in peace but as long as this indian mentality exists, their might be no peace in the region for a very very long time.

Back
Top Bottom