What's new

Sinovac's vaccine general efficacy less than 60% in Brazil trial - report

Let us come back when anyone else approves a Chinese vaccine and starts injecting them into their populations.

Like I say, only when other countries approve Chinese vaccines then real confidence will grow in them.

UK vaccine has been approved by the most countries so far and that says a lot. It is cheap, can be stored in a normal fridge and produced by the billions and so will be the vaccine of choice for most developing countries.

Sinovac has been approved by Indonesia, just two days ago, and Today our President has got the shoot

Sinovac has been approved by Indonesia, just two days ago, and Today our President has got the shoot

How much does it cost?

Oxford is just 3 US dollars per shot and so 6 US dollars for two doses.

Last edited:
To completely inoculate a population an efficacy of 50% should suffice. Even if 70-80% of the population get a shot of a vaccine at 50% efficacy, it should be fine.

How much does it cost?

Oxford is just 3 US dollars per shot and so 6 US dollars for two doses.

I dont know, it is free for all Indonesian but I think we have to wait to get the call from local administration to get the shot. They will vaccinate the most vulnarable first, medical staff and some public servant who needs to meet many people

I dont know, it is free for all Indonesian but I think we have to wait to get the call from local administration to get the shot. They will vaccinate the most vulnarable first, medical staff and some public servant who needs to meet many people

What I meant is how much is the Chinese company charging Indonesia.

The UK vaccine seems to be the cheapest by a fair margin so far.

What I meant is how much is the Chinese company charging Indonesia.

The UK vaccine seems to be the cheapest by a fair margin so far.

Government doesnt say it, but the information will be opened in the 2021 budget revision, they made it free after 2021 budget have already been approved. We need to wait before the budget is open to be seen. Sinovac only send the raw material, the process to make it become vaccine will be conducted by Biofarma, Indonesia state owned pharmacy.

Then don't order it. End of story.

But for many they rather wait for the release of these vaccines from China which are created based a time tested and time proven method.
Unlike the new mRNA method adopted by Pfizer or Modena which , China vaccines are produced based on an effective and safe method using inactivated virus.
Anyway there won't be enough vaccine to go around for awhile.

China can only produce 1 billion dose in 2021 and of it, 58% is reserved for her own population.

Brazilian test result for Sinovac is lower because they found out that they were being administrated into trial patients who has already been infected and tested positive for COVID-19. Now Brazil is placing an order for i00 million doses from Sinovac vaccines.
:coffee: 8-)

Then don't order it. End of story.

But for many they rather wait for the release of these vaccines from China which are created based a time tested and time proven method.
Unlike the new mRNA method adopted by Pfizer or Modena which , China vaccines are produced based on an effective and safe method using inactivated virus.
Anyway there won't be enough vaccine to go around for awhile.

China can only produce 1 billion dose in 2021 and of it, 58% is reserved for her own population.

Brazilian test result for Sinovac is lower because they found out that they were being administrated into trial patients who has already been infected and tested positive for COVID-19. Now Brazil is placing an order for i00 million doses from Sinovac vaccines.
:coffee: 8-)
Bro can give link to that, I thought it was suspicious, in Brazil there are attempts to sabotage the Chinese vaccine due to the anti Chinese president. Chinese vaccine is the only hope for the world, but with biased eyes, the West try to sabotage it, that why Turkey with proper controlled test subjects showed high efficacy, I can assure you the Indonesians are the same, they lack diacpline, the subject might have been infected before the second dose period.

Bro can give link to that, I thought it was suspicious, in Brazil there are attempts to sabotage the Chinese vaccine due to the anti Chinese president. Chinese vaccine is the only hope for the world, but with biased eyes, the West try to sabotage it, that why Turkey with proper controlled test subjects showed high efficacy, I can assure you the Indonesians are the same, they lack diacpline, the subject might have been infected before the second dose period.

I heard it on the air on one of CNA news report recently.

Here is one from The Strait Times.
https://www.straitstimes.com/world/...in-brazil-trial-experts-call-for-more-details

Unlike other studies of the vaccine, Brazil's CoronaVac trial included elderly volunteers, a particularly vulnerable population.

Dr Covas said CoronaVac had entirely prevented severe Covid-19 cases among the vaccinated group, including the elderly. None of those who received the vaccine become ill enough to require hospitalization, he added.

Indonesia trials has shown the vaccine is 65 % effective. It has been approved by our food and drug authority agency (BPOM) just Yesterday.

It seems that the Pfizer vaccine is not as effect in people of Asian descent, while it maybe true the Sinovac maybe more effective in Asian people then in non-Asian people. Consider the populations the vaccine was developed in, this could have contributed to the dichotomy.

We need to study the populations (sample of the genetic break down of those where it was not effective) getting the vaccines after the fact; Meta-analysis, to find out the true efficacy.

either way, if you have the opportunity to get any of the vaccines with credible phase 3 data, it would still be best to get any of those vaccines then to go unvaccinated.

Sinovac's vaccine general efficacy less than 60% in Brazil trial - report

BRASILIA (Reuters) - The CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccine developed by China’s Sinovac Biotech has a general efficacy of less than 60% in its clinical trial in Brazil, the news portal UOL reported on Monday, citing two sources that had seen the results.

Sao Paulo’s Butantan biomedical center, which has partnered with Sinovac to produce the vaccine in Brazil, plans to release general efficacy results on Tuesday as it seeks emergency use for the shot from health regulator Anvisa. It called the report “purely speculative.”

Reporting by Anthony Boadle; Editing by Leslie Adler
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
no surprise... cooking results as usual. we will find out when Argentinians and Indonesians come back.
Actually these are the results of the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine trials carried out in UK, S Africa and Brazil with two full doses given:

1. 62% effective at stopping infections, including asymptomatic.
2. 100% effective at reducing hospitalisations and deaths.

All age groups were tested, including the elderly.

It is the cheapest vaccine available and can be stored in a household fridge.

By far the best vaccine to be in public use so far.
This is definitely the best one. I had signed up for the trials. To give more diverse genetic mix.

no surprise... cooking results as usual. we will find out when Argentinians and Indonesians come back.

This is definitely the best one. I had signed up for the trials. To give more diverse genetic mix.

It might be a matter of genetics and the strains of the virus the vaccines were made to counter.

Most of the strains prevalent in Brazil originated (at least up up until the publication date of the following article; the article was published in September) from Europe; 76%.

Btw, thank you for participating in the trials.

It seems that the Pfizer vaccine is not as effect in people of Asian descent, while it maybe true the Sinovac maybe more effective in Asian people then in non-Asian people. Consider the populations the vaccine was developed in, this could have contributed to the dichotomy.

We need to study the populations (sample of the genetic break down of those where it was not effective) getting the vaccines after the fact; Meta-analysis, to find out the true efficacy.

either way, if you have the opportunity to get any of the vaccines with credible phase 3 data, it would still be best to get any of those vaccines then to go unvaccinated.
Yes. I read about it somewhere as well.

It is true that Pfizer vaccines has not been tested yet in all nationalities unlike Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccines.
They have not conducted any clinical trials on the older folks above 60 yet as required by WHO.
Based on their methodology Sinovac is 100% effective.

Back
Top Bottom