What's new

Sinhala Buddhist mob attacks Muslim Prayer

manlion

Reaction score
Grandpass Muslim Prayer Centre Attacked By Buddhist Monks Led Mob, Armed Forces Deployed

Grandpass.jpg

Sinhala Ravaya exchanging words with members of the Muslim community in Grandpass last week

Armed forces have been deployed in Grandpass after a well known masjid or Muslim prayer centre in the area was attacked a short while ago. Upto five people injured including two policemen so far, according to reports onsite.

According to eyewitnesses about 10 Buddhist monks suspected to be from the Ravana Balaya group, allegedly attacked the mosque despite the police guard.
The area remains tense after a few houses were also attacked on the Swarna Chaitya road in Grandpass where the mosque is situated.
The attack took place soon after Maghrib or evening prayers, sources told Colombo Telegraph.
The Ravana Balaya group called for its relocation within one month. Security forces personnel have now been stationed around the mosque to assist the police to keep calm.

Grandpass Muslim Prayer Centre Attacked, Armed Forces Deployed | Colombo Telegraph

A Buddhist mob has attacked a mosque in the Grandpass area of the Sri Lankan capital Colombo, leaving at least five people injured.

Buddhists and Muslims clashed after the attack, and police imposed a curfew in the area.

Last month, a group of Buddhist monks had protested near the mosque, demanding it be relocated.

In recent months hardline Buddhist groups have mounted a campaign against Muslim and Christian targets.

Several houses were also damaged in Saturday's clashes. Two of the injured were policemen guarding the mosque.

A Muslim resident of the area said that a mob threw stones at the mosque when worshippers were performing evening prayers, the BBC's Azzam Ameen reports from Colombo.

The police and special task force commandos were dispatched to the area and have been able to bring the situation under control, a police spokesman told the BBC.

Buddhists monks had reportedly protested against the presence of the mosque but had agreed to allow Muslims to continue praying there until the end of the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan.

But area Muslims says Sri Lanka's religious affairs ministry had given them permission to continue using the site and had also provided special police security due to the threat of possible attacks.

Army officers stand guard next to a damaged lorry at Fashion Bug's warehouse after an attack by unidentified men in Colombo March 28, 2013. A Muslim-owned clothing warehouse was one of the targets attacked in recent months
Fears of persecution

The past year has seen mounting religious tension in the country as hardline Buddhist groups have attacked mosques and Muslim-owned businesses, as well as churches and clergy.

In February, one group also called for the abolition of the Muslim halal system of certifying foods and other goods.

Buddhist hardliners accuse Muslims and Christians of promoting extremism and trying to convert Buddhists to their own faiths.

Both Muslims and Christians have denied the accusations, correspondents report.

The Buddhist Sinhalese community makes up three-quarters of Sri Lanka's population of 20 million.

During Sri Lanka's bitter civil war, the Muslims - a small Tamil-speaking minority, about 9% of the population - kept a low profile, but many now fear that ethnic majority hardliners are trying to target them.

BBC News - Sri Lanka Buddhist mob attacks Colombo mosque

not to worry , Lankan army will provide free transport and petrol to the Buddhist mob for looting, burning and killing non Buddhists, they did that to the Tamils since independence

Damn ..........they have a party called "Ravana Balaya" ? :lol:

I know what 'Ravana' means .....what does 'Balaya' mean ? ..........does it mean 'children of Ravana' or something ?

Shut up you idiot! Do you think the innocents taking god's name were involved in 9/11 or Mumbai?

Think before you open your mouth or remove the Indian flags!

:lol: .......why should I be ashamed of who I am ? ............that seems to be your problem

I do think 'not to innocent' taking 'muslim gods name' were involved in 9/11 or Mumbai.

Are you in denial .............that is the first step to being 'secular' ? :devil:

How come in Hindi they drop the last vowel. For example, karma is pronounced karm, Vedas pronounces as Ved, etc?

A mosque and a Buddhist temple has damaged, 7 has injured.

X5jrMUT.jpg

What's wrong with these Buddhists nowadays? I thought Buddhism was a peaceful religion!! :what:

Damn ..........they have a party called "Ravana Balaya" ? :lol:

I know what 'Ravana' means .....what does 'Balaya' mean ? ..........does it mean children of Ravana of something ?

I guess balaya means = power ... strange when did Ravana a Tamil king killed by an Aryan invader from north turn Buddhist hero ???

I guess balaya means = power ... strange when did Ravana a Tamil king killed by an Aryan invader from north turn Buddhist hero ???

Ravan was king of Sri Lanka. So maybe he is must be considered a local hero by them.

Back
Top Bottom