What's new

Sikkim named top region to visit in 2014 by Lonely Planet

Indira had annexed Sikkim because of its strategic importance in Sino-Indian relations which have not been pleasant since1962. Hence India is paranoid regarding security in Sikkim.

Permits / passes are required even in Arunachal even for Indians to go beyond a point. This applies to other states as well. The IB is not a tourist spot for people to go sight seeing.

In case of Sikkim a glance at a map would indicate how close the IB is at most places inside the state hence monitoring is necessary.

As regards being paranoid, India is paranoid about security in all states . Shouldn't it ?

A lot of thieves in Sikkim, pick pocketing is very prevalent there and tourist are always targets for a rip-off.

Beautiful place , and clean at it compared to Nagpur. Hope people in other places become as mindful about keeping their city and state clean.

A lot of thieves in Sikkim, pick pocketing is very prevalent there and tourist are always targets for a rip-off.
This is utter nonsense. Sikkim can be said among most safe places in India.

The Sikkimese people are proud Indians!

1.There are more Indians in Sikkim than the Sikkimese themselves. India has been deliberately and in a planned way carrying out a process of Indianization/ Hinduization in Sikkim.

2. When I mentioned my intention of visiting Sikkim, the Indian visa officer told me it would take long for clearance in Delhi. He advised me not to bother about this but just go without it. I did. Nobody asked me for any permit, and there was no problem.

1.There are more Indians in Sikkim than the Sikkimese themselves. India has been deliberately and in a planned way carrying out a process of Indianization/ Hinduization in Sikkim.

2. When I mentioned my intention of visiting Sikkim, the Indian visa officer told me it would take long for clearance in Delhi. He advised me not to bother about this but just go without it. I did. Nobody asked me for any permit, and there was no problem.
I don't know from where you are putting this BS here. In Sikkim no one can buy lands or Property except the Sikkimese though one can lease it on rent. You can find some Bangali businessmen in Gangtok city only(that too with rented shops etc) and no where else in Sikkim.

Whats the difference between Indians & Sikkimese ?

Its an Indian state therefore what you find there are Indians first & Sikkimese next.

Kaykay has answered the rest.

Spot on! My wife's from Sikkim too! The place is amazing! A trip to Chhangu Lake and Nathula Pass is as exhilarating as it comes.

Crows_Lake_in_North_Sikkim.jpg

1.jpg

sikkim01.jpg

cpourt.jpg

sikkim_stupas.jpg

20100905+Sikkim+095.jpg

gurudongmar.jpg

pelling-sikkim.jpg
MG marg is really beautiful. You are lucky. Sikkim girls are very good. If i have a chance, i will marry a girl from sikkim.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Talk about Sikkim when you know a shit about it!!Have u ever been to Sikkim,the Sikkimese population is majority Nepalese who are staunch Hindus and the rest are either Buddhists or Christians.Mainland Indian are not allowed to even own property there and the Sikkimese people celebrate the Indian Independence Day like no where else in India.

In 1947, when India became independent, a popular vote rejected Sikkim's joining the Indian Union, and Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru agreed to a special protectorate status for Sikkim. Sikkim came under the suzerainty of India, which controlled its external affairs, defence, diplomacy and communications, but Sikkim otherwise retained administrative autonomy. A state council was established in 1953 to allow for constitutional government under the Chogyal. Meanwhile, the Sikkim National Congress demanded fresh elections and greater representation for Nepalis in Sikkim. Palden Thondup Namgyal, the Chogyal at the time, proved to be extremely unpopular with the people, and in 1973, riots in front of the Chogyal's palace led to a formal request for protection from India.

In 1975, the Prime Minister of Sikkim appealed to the Indian Parliament for Sikkim to become a state of India. In April of that year, the Indian Army took over the city of Gangtok and disarmed the Chogyal's palace guards. Thereafter, a referendum was held in which 97.5 per cent of voters supported abolishing the monarchy, effectively approving union with India. On 16 May 1975, Sikkim became the 22nd state of the Indian Union, and the monarchy was abolished.To enable the incorporation of the new state, the Indian Parliament amended the Indian Constitution. First, the 35th Amendment laid down a set of conditions that made Sikkim an "Associate State," a special designation not used by any other state. Later, the 36th Amendment repealed the 35th Amendment, and made Sikkim a full state, adding its name to the First Schedule of the Constitution.
Today Sikkim is one of the most developed,healthy and progressive states of India,the same could have been true for Kashmir if a referendum according to the UN resolution could be held after 1947 but things did not go well for the unfortunate Kashmiris as they are in the vicinity of 'YOU KNOW WHO'.

You always do such nonsense. It is one of the safest place on earth (of coourse I am not talking about road accidents or natural calamities). In Sikkim you can find people parking their car on roadside and walk about 30 minutes to their home at night (as car can't go up to there). Theft, Rubbery or other crimes are very uncommon. You can't find more friendly people than Sikkimese in the whole world.

Back
Top Bottom