What's new

Sikh and Hindu officers usher in a new era in Pakistani Army

Umair P:

Even if your argument of Pakistan only being an "Islamic State" is correct, what you are suggesting is, as RR pointed out, an extreme Islamic State.

An Islamic State is about justice and equality for its citizens, what we did not have in East Pakistan according to you.

An Islamic State is not about discrimination and restrictions on a section of its citizens that reduce them to second class status, that creates the exact atmosphere you argue led to the separation of EP.

Well, East Pakistan wasn't discriminated against. They might have been brainwashed into thinking they were discriminated against by their leaders, but they weren't actually discriminated against. The Bengalis just didn't want to be a part of Pakistan, unless they were ruling it solely (they actually were ruling it with the majority of prime ministers), but there were some West Pakistanis also making decisions, and this annoyed them.

From Wikipedia:

Although East Pakistan accounted for a majority of the country's population, political power remained firmly in the hands of West Pakistanis, specifically the Punjabis. Since a straightforward system of representation based on population would have concentrated political power in East Pakistan, the West Pakistani establishment came up with the "One Unit" scheme, where all of West Pakistan was considered one province. This was solely to counterbalance the East wing's votes. Ironically, after the East broke away to form Bangladesh, the Punjab province insisted that politics in West Pakistan now be decided on the basis of a straightforward vote, since Punjabis were more numerous than the other groups, such as Sindhis, Pashtuns, or Balochs.

and

in 1948, Mohammad Ali Jinnah, Pakistan's first Governor-General, declared in Dhaka (then usually spelled Dacca in English) that "Urdu, and only Urdu" would be the sole official language for all of Pakistan.[17] This proved highly controversial, since Urdu was a language that was only spoken in the West by Muhajir and in the East by Biharis. The majority groups in West Pakistan spoke Punjabi and Sindhi, while Bangla was spoken by the majority of East Pakistanis.[18] The language controversy eventually reached a point where East Pakistan revolted. Several students and civilians lost their lives in a police crackdown on 21 February 1952.[18]

and

Bengalis were under-represented in the Pakistan military. Officers of Bengali origin in the different wings of the armed forces made up just 5% of overall force by 1965; of these, only a few were in command positions, with the majority in technical or administrative posts.[14] West Pakistanis believed that Bengalis were not "martially inclined" unlike Pashtuns and Punjabis; the "martial races" notion was dismissed as ridiculous and humiliating by Bengalis.[14] Moreover, despite huge defence spending, East Pakistan received none of the benefits, such as contracts, purchasing and military support jobs.

From Wikipedia:

and

and

Are Wikipedia quotes supposed to prove something?

Stealth Assassin said:
"Although East Pakistan accounted for a majority of the country's population, political power remained firmly in the hands of West Pakistanis, specifically the Punjabis. Since a straightforward system of representation based on population would have concentrated political power in East Pakistan, the West Pakistani establishment came up with the "One Unit" scheme, where all of West Pakistan was considered one province. This was solely to counterbalance the East wing's votes. Ironically, after the East broke away to form Bangladesh, the Punjab province insisted that politics in West Pakistan now be decided on the basis of a straightforward vote, since Punjabis were more numerous than the other groups, such as Sindhis, Pashtuns, or Balochs."

Well, there's a difference between wikipedia and the reality. The "One Unit" scheme was abolished before Bangladesh broke away. Yahya Khan implemented it in fact, and gave the Bengalis more voting power in the 1971 elections.

With the reimposition of martial law, order was soon restored. Confidence was established by General Yahya Khan's declared intention to return the country as soon as possible to civilian rule. Within four months of taking over, he ordered preparation of electoral lists on the basis of universal franchise. In November he promised a general election on October 5, 1970, to elect a constituent assembly, and allowed the parties to start campaigning on January I. The elections were for the first time to be held on the one-man, one-vote principle, which assured East Pakistan a majority of votes and of seats. West Pakistan was to be divided into provinces and cease to be one administrative unit, and the two wings were to be granted' maximum autonomy ... consistent with the integrity and solidarity of the nation '.
[Genocide/1971] The Events in East Pakistan: Intro

So, the first wiki paragraph you've posted is proven misinformation and an outright lie. Which is a trend in wiki political articles.

in 1948, Mohammad Ali Jinnah, Pakistan's first Governor-General, declared in Dhaka (then usually spelled Dacca in English) that "Urdu, and only Urdu" would be the sole official language for all of Pakistan.[17] This proved highly controversial, since Urdu was a language that was only spoken in the West by Muhajir and in the East by Biharis. The majority groups in West Pakistan spoke Punjabi and Sindhi, while Bangla was spoken by the majority of East Pakistanis.[18] The language controversy eventually reached a point where East Pakistan revolted. Several students and civilians lost their lives in a police crackdown on 21 February 1952.[18]

Explain to me if you can, what was so unfair about this? Was Balochi made a national language? Was Pashto, was Punjabi, was Sindhi? No, none of them were, and neither was Bengali. The awful Punjabis did not even make their own language the national language. Such was their level of evilness! :undecided:

Can you tell me what was so unfair about the language deal?

Bengalis were under-represented in the Pakistan military. Officers of Bengali origin in the different wings of the armed forces made up just 5% of overall force by 1965; of these, only a few were in command positions, with the majority in technical or administrative posts.[14] West Pakistanis believed that Bengalis were not "martially inclined" unlike Pashtuns and Punjabis; the "martial races" notion was dismissed as ridiculous and humiliating by Bengalis.[14] Moreover, despite huge defence spending, East Pakistan received none of the benefits, such as contracts, purchasing and military support jobs.

This is perhaps the only quote you could make an argument out of. But even then, Bengalis were encouraged to join the Pak forces, and didn't. Training Schools were opened in East Pakistan, but noone joined. This is recorded and proven.

So, let's see some concrete proof of discrimination. I could argue that Punjabis were underrepresented in the Pakistani leadership since not one single Punjabi led Pakistan between 1948-1971. 4 Bengali leaders led Pakistan during this time. The discrimination of it all.

So, let's see some concrete proof of discrimination. I could argue that Punjabis were underrepresented in the Pakistani leadership since not one single Punjabi led Pakistan between 1948-1971. 4 Bengali leaders led Pakistan during this time. The discrimination of it all.

Not one Punjabi led Pakistan? Thats news.
Ghulam Muhammad- A Punjabi.
Ayub Khan- Though Pathan by roots, he spoke Punjabi. It was not until 1965 that he became fluient in Urdu.

Umair P:

Even if your argument of Pakistan only being an "Islamic State" is correct, what you are suggesting is, as RR pointed out, an extreme Islamic State.

An Islamic State is about justice and equality for its citizens, what we did not have in East Pakistan according to you.

An Islamic State is not about discrimination and restrictions on a section of its citizens that reduce them to second class status, that creates the exact atmosphere you argue led to the separation of EP.

I think I have given an appropriate example of Hazrat Umer's Era. If you think that Era was Fundamentalist or Biased then my friend I am sorry I may not be able to convince you at all. All I know about Islam is that it started with Hazrat Mohammad SAW and Quran and it will remain the same till the end of time.
All the knowledge I have, I never came across single verse which allows to change religion. It is supposed to remain the same till the Qayamat.
And our religion is not just a package of rituals but a complete socio economic system.
What I have stated in the previous post was not how Pakistan is or How Pakistan will be all I am saying is that it is the ideology.
:pakistan:

Are Wikipedia quotes supposed to prove something?

Well, there's a difference between wikipedia and the reality. The "One Unit" scheme was abolished before Bangladesh broke away. Yahya Khan implemented it in fact, and gave the Bengalis more voting power in the 1971 elections.

With the reimposition of martial law, order was soon restored. Confidence was established by General Yahya Khan's declared intention to return the country as soon as possible to civilian rule. Within four months of taking over, he ordered preparation of electoral lists on the basis of universal franchise. In November he promised a general election on October 5, 1970, to elect a constituent assembly, and allowed the parties to start campaigning on January I. The elections were for the first time to be held on the one-man, one-vote principle, which assured East Pakistan a majority of votes and of seats. West Pakistan was to be divided into provinces and cease to be one administrative unit, and the two wings were to be granted' maximum autonomy ... consistent with the integrity and solidarity of the nation '.
[Genocide/1971] The Events in East Pakistan: Intro

So, the first wiki paragraph you've posted is proven misinformation and an outright lie. Which is a trend in wiki political articles.

The Bengalis had been complaining since 1948 about the unfair concentration of political power to the Punjabis.
There had been several protests and uprisings over the years, and naturally, the Bengali Nationalist movement gathered steam.

By the time the clock ticked over to 1971, it was already too late.

Revolutionary movements cannot be simply turned off like a water-tap. Once an ideology starts to spread, it becomes difficult to contain it.

Explain to me if you can, what was so unfair about this? Was Balochi made a national language? Was Pashto, was Punjabi, was Sindhi? No, none of them were, and neither was Bengali. The awful Punjabis did not even make their own language the national language. Such was their level of evilness! :undecided:

It hardly matters.
Perhaps Punjabis, Balochis etc. were more accepting of Urdu due to greater cultural ties with the the upper-class urdu-speaking minority.

What matters is that Urdu was perceived to be an alien language by the Bengalis.

India did a far better job by giving each state its own language and adopting English for official communication with those states who didn't want Hindi.

This is perhaps the only quote you could make an argument out of. But even then, Bengalis were encouraged to join the Pak forces, and didn't. Training Schools were opened in East Pakistan, but noone joined. This is recorded and proven.

Can you back this up?

Also, this was perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back:

From Wikipedia:
The 1970 Bhola cyclone made landfall on the East Pakistan coastline during the evening of 12 November, around the same time as a local high tide,[23] killing an estimated 300,000 to 500,000 people. Though the exact death toll is not known, it is considered the deadliest tropical cyclone on record.[24] A week after the landfall, President Khan conceded that his government had made "slips" and "mistakes" in its handling of the relief efforts for a lack of understanding of the magnitude of the disaster.[25]

A statement released by eleven political leaders in East Pakistan ten days after the cyclone hit charged the government with "gross neglect, callous indifference and utter indifference". They also accused the president of playing down the news coverage.[26] On 19 November, students held a march in Dhaka in protest of the speed of the government response[27] and Maulana Abdul Hamid Khan Bhashani addressed a rally of 50,000 people on 24 November, where he accused the president of inefficiency and demanded his resignation.

The Bengalis had been complaining since 1948 about the unfair concentration of political power to the Punjabis.

I wonder at times that how on earth no one touched this issue of who was responsible for allocating more seats of assembly to the East Pakistan despite it was not a majority area as compare to west Pakistan. Thuse whoever were responsible for the conspiracy are real culprits behind the entire episod as their cunning meaness has led to disturbing the balance of power which led to the success of Mujeeb's on political front and hence they demanded formation of government.

There had been several protests and uprisings over the years, and naturally, the Bengali Nationalist movement gathered steam.

By the time the clock ticked over to 1971, it was already too late.

Revolutionary movements cannot be simply turned off like a water-tap. Once an ideology starts to spread, it becomes difficult to contain it.

This is just sheer ignorance. Not a single national election was held prior to 1970. Yahya Khan's one man-one vote election which gave East Pakistan the numerical advantage were the first elections to be held on a national level in Pakistan.

So how can previous elections have discriminated against the poor Bengalis, when there had been no previous election? :cheesy:

It hardly matters.
Perhaps Punjabis, Balochis etc. were more accepting of Urdu due to greater cultural ties with the the upper-class urdu-speaking minority.

What matters is that Urdu was perceived to be an alien language by the Bengalis.

India did a far better job by giving each state its own language and adopting English for official communication with those states who didn't want Hindi.

Are you saying the Bengalis are intolerant people? you realize that Pashto and Baloch are classified as East Iranic languages, whereas Urdu and Bengali are classified as Indic languages? Urdu is closer culturally to bengali than it is to Pashto.

Can you back this up?

Also, this was perhaps the straw that broke the camel's back:

From Wikipedia:

It's in defence journal. i'll get the reference.

Still, I wait for the name of just one Punjabi leader of Pakistan between 1947-1971, since i can name 4 Bengalis leaders of the same time period.Don't try and avoid this important political comparison.

This is just sheer ignorance. Not a single national election was held prior to 1970. Yahya Khan's one man-one vote election which gave East Pakistan the numerical advantage were the first elections to be held on a national level in Pakistan.

So how can previous elections have discriminated against the poor Bengalis, when there had been no previous election? :cheesy:

ITs not about elections, but about the concentration of power in the West.

Government jobs, Armed forces,national budget allocation, all these things favoured the west. This inspite of the fact that the East had the highest contribution in terms of GDP.

Naturally, they weren't too pleased about it.

The physical separation also prevented the Bengali communities from getting closer to the ones in West Pakistan.

Are you saying the Bengalis are intolerant people? you realize that Pashto and Baloch are classified as East Iranic languages, whereas Urdu and Bengali are classified as Indic languages? Urdu is closer culturally to bengali than it is to Pashto.

I am sure you know about the uncomfortable, to put it mildly, relationship between the Pakistani state and the Balochistan province, as well as the NWFP region. You can hardly claim that Pashtuns and Balochis are a shining example of what you call "tolerance"

Urdu is a foreign language to Bengalis, nevermind its classification.

Marathi is pretty much similar to Gujarati, and yet neither state wants to adopt the others language.

People are proud of their regional identities, and your average semi-educated joe doesn't have a pan-Pakistani identity.

It's in defence journal. i'll get the reference.

Still, I wait for the name of just one Punjabi leader of Pakistan between 1947-1971, since i can name 4 Bengalis leaders of the same time period.Don't try and avoid this important political comparison.

Yahya Khan??

Please do tell me which Bengali leader headed Pakistan.

ITs not about elections, but about the concentration of power in the West.

Government jobs, Armed forces,national budget allocation, all these things favoured the west. This inspite of the fact that the East had the highest contribution in terms of GDP.

Naturally, they wasn't to pleased about it.

GDP produced by the East was not under governmental ownership. The GDP was mainly from private investment from West Pakistan. The jute mills were under the ownership of Adamjee so a lot of the profits were redistributed in West Pakistan - and why not? West Pakistanis owned these industries, and could do with the money as they pleased.

I am sure you know about the uncomfortable, to put it mildly, relationship between the Pakistani state and the Balochistan province, as well as the NWFP region. You can hardly claim that Pashtuns and Balochis are a shining example of what you call "tolerance"

Urdu is a foreign language to Bengalis, nevermind its classification.

Marathi is pretty much similar to Gujarati, and yet neither state wants to adopt the others language.

Let's not change the argument now. Urdu is more similar to Bengali than it is to Pashto. So cultural affinities cannot explain the fact Pashtuns accepted the Pakistani state in spite of Urdu being made the official language - they had to give up more than the Bengalis did. So why did the Pashtuns, the Baloch etc accept Urdu, yet the Bengalis use as an example of persecution?

Yahya Khan??

Please do tell me which Bengali leader headed Pakistan.

Try again. Yahya Khan was Pashtun.

Bengali leaders..

Nazimuddin
Bogra
Suhrawardy
fourth one escapes me..

And the Punjabi leder of Pakistan from 1947-1971 was ............................ :azn:

GDP produced by the East was not under governmental ownership. The GDP was mainly from private investment from West Pakistan. The jute mills were under the ownership of Adamjee so a lot of the profits were redistributed in West Pakistan - and why not? West Pakistanis owned these industries, and could do with the money as they pleased.

Dammit you keep missing my point. Its about perception, not your personal idea of what's fair and what's unfair.

Since the east generated the most GDP, they naturally deserved the major chunk of it. Its very unfair to suck all the money out of East Pakistan.

Also, my points about government jobs and army still stand.

Let's not change the argument now. Urdu is more similar to Bengali than it is to Pashto. So cultural affinities cannot explain the fact Pashtuns accepted the Pakistani state in spite of Urdu being made the official language - they had to give up more than the Bengalis did. So why did the Pashtuns, the Baloch etc accept Urdu, yet the Bengalis use as an example of persecution?

Oh gimme a break. Have you ever spoken to a Bengali?
Bengali is completely different. The script is totally different, the words are totally different.

Your average Bangladeshi doesn't have access tomes on linguistics.

Considering the situation in Balochistan and NWFP, I don't see how these two groups have accepted Urdu.

Bengali leaders..

Nazimuddin
Bogra
Suhrawardy
fourth one escapes me..

And the Punjabi leder of Pakistan from 1947-1971 was ............................ :azn:

Nazimuddin was an ethnic kashmiri (urdu speaking)
Bogra was of Iranian descent, an elite urdu-speaking muslim.
Suhrawary was once again from an elite urdu-speaking family.
fourth one escapes me too :P

There were several muslim elite leaders of Pakistan who identified with the Pakistani identity rather than their regional ones. That is a given.

However, there was no ethnic Bengali that I know of, whose mother tongue was Bengali, who headed Pakistan. If there was, please correct me.

Punjabis, for whatever reason, were more open to the idea of Pakistan. Perhaps they identified better with North Indian Muslim culture. Perhaps their leaders were Urdu-speaking.

I think I have given an appropriate example of Hazrat Umer's Era. If you think that Era was Fundamentalist or Biased then my friend I am sorry I may not be able to convince you at all. All I know about Islam is that it started with Hazrat Mohammad SAW and Quran and it will remain the same till the end of time.
All the knowledge I have, I never came across single verse which allows to change religion. It is supposed to remain the same till the Qayamat.
And our religion is not just a package of rituals but a complete socio economic system.
What I have stated in the previous post was not how Pakistan is or How Pakistan will be all I am saying is that it is the ideology.
:pakistan:

Hazrat Umer was not Islam and he was not a prophet, and therefore his actions were not infallible.

I want to know where the Quran says that non-Muslims should be treated like second class citizens.

On your claim of our religion being a "complete socio-economic system", that may be true, but it is also true that the system you mention is completely open to different interpretations. Look at the Taliban interpretation, look at the Saudi interpretation, look at the Iranian interpretation, and look at some of the more moderate scholars.

Which interpretation will be imposed?

Dammit you keep missing my point. Its about perception, not your personal idea of what's fair and what's unfair.

I doubt I'd disagree with that, but your initial statement that started this whole thing off, was to prove that discrimination actually HAD occurred, not that it was a perception amongst them. If it's a perception, it was created by the brainwashing by the leaders, which means that real discrimination did not exist. So their reason for separation was baseless. They preferred to believe they were being discriminated against because one of "their own" was telling them. Not very "brotherly" of them at all.

Since the east generated the most GDP, they naturally deserved the major chunk of it. Its very unfair to suck all the money out of East Pakistan.

Also, my points about government jobs and army still stand.

I've explained about the East being funded by private investors, leading to the larger GDP. If you can't understand it, then you naturally think this point of yours still stands.

Oh gimme a break. Have you ever spoken to a Bengali?
Bengali is completely different. The script is totally different, the words are totally different.

Your average Bangladeshi doesn't have access tomes on linguistics.

Considering the situation in Balochistan and NWFP, I don't see how these two groups have accepted Urdu.

Did you see the Pashtuns taking up arms en masse to defeat the Pakistan army, or creating a language movement to have Pashto instated as the national language. No, it's never happened. Before you start going on about FATA, I'll remind you that Fata is only a small proportion of Pashtuns, a couple of tribes, 90% of the tribes are not hostile to the Pakisatani government, and the same with Balochistan. East Pakistan it was more like 90% of the people were hostile to the Pakistani Army, a completely different situation.

It is true that Bengali is written in a different script to Urdu, but it fits the grammar and syntax of Urdu, which is why it's classed as Indic. it's much easier to learn up these new words and fit them into the Indic class of language than it would be to learn Pashto and then try and learn Urdu. The two languages are completely different.

Nazimuddin was an ethnic kashmiri (urdu speaking)

He wasn't an ethnic Kashmiri at all. He was born in Dhaka, Bangladesh..look it up (don't use wiki).

One could argue about the Nawabs of Dhaka all night, the only fact for sure is that he was a Bengali that was originally born in Dhaka.

The Geopolitics of South Asia: From ... - Google Book Search

Bogra was of Iranian descent, an elite urdu-speaking muslim.

LOL. Bogra wasn't an iranian. He too was born in Dhaka. Does he look Iranian to you?

f04e3b21db04a5144d89e404c4664372.jpg

Suhrawary was once again from an elite urdu-speaking family.

Suhrawardy is perhaps the closest you'll get to being a non Bengali from Bengal. But he too was born in bengal, Calcutta and so was a Bengali. A person from bengal was still allowed to rule Pakistan, and he was fluent in Bengali (as were the other two).

However, there was no ethnic Bengali that I know of, whose mother tongue was Bengali, who headed Pakistan. If there was, please correct me.

i've given you two above. Bogra for example. He was an ethnic Bengali and spoke Bengali.

Punjabis, for whatever reason, were more open to the idea of Pakistan. Perhaps they identified better with North Indian Muslim culture. Perhaps their leaders were Urdu-speaking.

Punjabis were in fact the last to join Pakistan and were not of the core units that formed Pakistan.

I doubt I'd disagree with that, but your initial statement that started this whole thing off, was to prove that discrimination actually HAD occurred, not that it was a perception amongst them. If it's a perception, it was created by the brainwashing by the leaders, which means that real discrimination did not exist. So their reason for separation was baseless. They preferred to believe they were being discriminated against because one of "their own" was telling them. Not very "brotherly" of them at all.

My initial statement was nothing but wikipedia quotes.

The perception of discrimination wasn't created by "brainwashing", as you term it, but by concerns that any state withing a multi-ethnic country would have.
Instead of addressing these concerns, Pakistan continued to drag its feet.

My points regarding military representation and government jobs still stand.

If Pakistan had shown perhaps a little understanding, and declared Bengali as a subsidary language, nobody would have complained.

I've explained about the East being funded by private investors, leading to the larger GDP. If you can't understand it, then you naturally think this point of yours still stands.

OK first of all I have taken your word your claim that all the GDP was generated by private investors, which you haven't backed up.

You are not understanding my points, but simply trying to refute them using any means possible.

East pakistan was the most populous province, generated the most GDP, and naturally deserved the greater amount of government spending. How is that not logical?

As far as West Pakistanis owning some industries, won't they be taxed?

Did you see the Pashtuns taking up arms en masse to defeat the Pakistan army, or creating a language movement to have Pashto instated as the national language. No, it's never happened. Before you start going on about FATA, I'll remind you that Fata is only a small proportion of Pashtuns, a couple of tribes, 90% of the tribes are not hostile to the Pakisatani government, and the same with Balochistan. East Pakistan it was more like 90% of the people were hostile to the Pakistani Army, a completely different situation.

I do know that the writ of the Pakistani state does extend to FATA, and was seriously compromised in Balochistan.
FATA was a part of Pakistan only in name. Those 90% Pashtun tribes also know that they don't have follow Pakistani laws.
You cannot use it as an example.
I mean comeon, if you had allowed East Pakistan to have its own laws, I"m sure they wouldn't have complained much. Get my point?

Neither can you use Balochistan.

Look man, again you are not trying to understand the situation but hell-bent on out-arguing me.

East Pakistan was thousands of Kilometres away from the west. Naturally, it would have to be treated differently than the rest of Pakistan.

I had made my earlier point about the lack of cultural ties between the west and the east due to large distances, which you have chosen to ignore.

IMO these 2 Pakistans were a stupid idea in the first place. It never a viable state.

It is true that Bengali is written in a different script to Urdu, but it fits the grammar and syntax of Urdu, which is why it's classed as Indic. it's much easier to learn up these new words and fit them into the Indic class of language than it would be to learn Pashto and then try and learn Urdu. The two languages are completely different.

Do you know why Bengali professors and academics were massacred by the Pakistani army? It is they who were expressing their anger about the non-usage of Bengali.

The point isn't whether Urdu is easier to learn or not. It is that the East Pakistanis considered Urdu as an alien language, and they wanted to use Bengali instead.

Different societies have different perception about what's fair.
For example, Rajasthanis never complained about the use of Hindi for official purposes, but Tamils did.
The reason was that there were a sizeable number of Tamil intellectuals who could shape popular thought, and hence pride in their language and culture.

Also, the fact that the capital was located in the north led them to believe that they were being shortchanged.
Eventually, a compromise had to be worked out to keep the federation intact.

Now, would you call Tamils intolerant people?

He wasn't an ethnic Kashmiri at all. He was born in Dhaka, Bangladesh..look it up (don't use wiki).

He was born in Dhaka, but he was an ethnic Kashmiri.

In the same way that Yahya Khan was born in Punjab, but wasn't Punjabi.

The clinching fact is that he studied at Aligarh, in India, and Cambridge.
His identity was Pan-Pakistani, not Bengali. I am not convinced that the Bengalis identified with him.

This simply proves that he was born in East Pakistan. It says nothing about his ethnicity or his affiliations.

LOL. Bogra wasn't an iranian. He too was born in Dhaka. Does he look Iranian to you?

f04e3b21db04a5144d89e404c4664372.jpg

He was of Iranian descent. An elite Nawabi family which spoke urdu and didn't enjoy the loyalty of the Bengalis.

Yes, he looks perfectly Iranian.

Suhrawardy is perhaps the closest you'll get to being a non Bengali from Bengal. But he too was born in bengal, Calcutta and so was a Bengali. A person from bengal was still allowed to rule Pakistan, and he was fluent in Bengali (as were the other two).

Obviously, one cannot be from Bengal and not speak the language.

The question is of affiliations and identities.

I can speak English, but that doesn't make me loyal to Britain.

Suhrawardy again was urdu-speaking. He only learnt Bengali in later life.

Needless to say he didn't have popular support in East Pakistan.

Punjabis were in fact the last to join Pakistan and were not of the core units that formed Pakistan.

They got the capital, the lions share of army recruitment and government jobs.
Why wouldn't they be happY?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom