What's new

Shutter down strike over blasphemy issue

Its not an issue of whether something is wrong with it or not, it has to do with our failure to implement it properly and fairly. When you do not have the mechanisms to impose a law, you need to have some room and leeway in its implementation. This is something that our jahil people will not understand and is the obligation of real religious scholars (and not sellouts such as Fazlur Rehman) to point out and educate the masses on. Either we do this or the easier task of funding and kicking the law enforcement agencies in the butt so they do a better job of investigating such issues and where excesses are found, prosecute the accusers in a manner that it becomes a lesson for all.

I doubt the Prophet of God (Pbuh) would like this tamasha to be made in his name where every Tom, Dick and Harry or village imams and their cohorts are calling out their adversaries for denigrating the Prophet for material gains and power and innocent people are being affected. No other Muslim country has such an issue.

Dont forget the mob mentality that forms after said person is arrested and investigated. This should also be addressed. Asia Bibi's family has since gone into hiding because of this and who knows what will happen to her if she is released. These laws are resulting in extremism.

"Thousands rally"

"Total Shut Down"

Looks like the blasphemy laws have real support among the masses. Quite contrary to what our Pakistani friends would have us believe. :coffee:

Yes, whoever was telling u otherwise doesnot know pakistan or just wanna be ignorant. In 1991 when nawaz sharif ( then prim minister ) tried to ammend this law, bay naziir stopped him ( this is stated by the now prime minister of ppp in his book).

A loose alliance of over a dozen religious parties, many of them pro-Taliban,

why bring taliban over this issue?

TARIQ

No. Impossible. Even in India loonies like Shiv Sena protest Valentines day and beat a few couples/ damage a few shops but it never results in 'total shut down'. A few shops might shut down as a result of fear of violence but 'Total Shutdown'? That's impossible unless people also support it.

When Benazir was assassinated, the entire country was in the middle of a shitstorm.

I personally saw it myself in Murree. Threatened to throw my car off the side of the mountain and that was just the beginning. Meanwhile, in Karachi thousands of windows were being broken and cars set on fire. 75% of the railroad system = destroyed.

I present to you, a part of Jinnah's speech from 1929 whereby he addressed this very same issue of blasphemy.

“How can there be such a divine sanction to this cruel, horrible, disgraceful, inhuman practice that is prevailing in India? Sir, whether certain practices have any sanction divine or religious or not, and when any social reform is suggested which goes to destroy the usages and customs to which people are used and upon which they have looked as semi-religious usages and practices, it is always known all over the world that those people who have got deep sentiments, deep convictions, strong opinions, always resent, and they believe that it is destroying the very root of their social life or religion. Always the social reformer is face to face with this orthodox opinion…But are we to be dragged down by this section for whom we have respect, whose feeling we appreciate, whose sentiments we regard, -are we to be dragged down and are we to be prevented in the march of progress, in the name of humanity, I ask you?

But, Sir, I make bold to say that if my constituency is so backward as to disapprove of a measure like this then I say, the clearest duty on my part would be to say to my constituency, ‘You had better ask somebody else to represent you”…if we are going to allow ourselves to be influenced by the public opinion that can be created in the name of religion when we know that religion has nothing whatever to do with the matter, – I think we must have the courage to say, ‘No, we are not going to be frightened by that’
.”

Jinnah's Pakistan Zindabad, Mullah's NaPakistan Murdabad.

Its not an issue of whether something is wrong with it or not, it has to do with our failure to implement it properly and fairly. When you do not have the mechanisms to impose a law, you need to have some room and leeway in its implementation and even interpretation (E.g. Umar RA temporarily abrogating punishment for theft due to famine). This is something that our people would understand and it is the obligation of real religious scholars (and not sellouts such as Fazlur Rehman) to point out and educate the masses on. Either we do this and/or pursue the easier task of funding and kicking the law enforcement agencies in the butt so they do a better job of investigating such issues and where excesses are found, prosecute the accusers in a manner that it becomes a lesson for all.

I doubt the Prophet of God (Pbuh) would like this tamasha to be made in his name where every Tom, Dick and Harry or village imams and their cohorts are calling out their adversaries for denigrating the Prophet for material gains and power and innocent people are being affected. No other Muslim country has such an issue.

We are not able to implement any law properly so yes improvements should be made in investigating and implementing on each and every law. Singling out one specific law does make people nervous.

Please leave this material gain theory aside it has no substance anymore.

Let me repeat this line that Jinnah uttered.

"If we are going to allow ourselves to be influenced by the public opinion that can be created in the name of religion when we know that religion has nothing whatever to do with the matter, – I think we must have the courage to say, ‘No, we are not going to be frightened by that’.”

What is this shutter strike for anyway?

The PPP government vehemently stated that they would not change the blasphemy law in any case. Why the need for these idiots, these stupid morons to disrupt the whole country when there isn't a requirement for it.

This is absolute madness, these people are just the worst creatures who are keeping the entire nation down.

And very unfortunately, very very unfortunately, the majority of Pakistani's cower in fear from these goons. The only reason for this is the word 'Islam', because Mullahs business is the religion business.

If I reach a position of power, I am going to teach these people a lesson, the kind of lesson Gen Azam Khan taught them.

In Pakistan, Islamic parties have been out on the streets, threatening anarchy if she is freed, or if there is any attempt to amend the blasphemy law.

BBC News - Pakistani Christian Asia Bibi 'has price on her head'

So the judicial system of Pakistan holds no value in their eyes. Unless it does what they want. Zero tolerance only violence and no equality. This is exactly where the government needs to stand firm but they are spineless to enforce anything that upsets the religious parties. You have got the crazy mullahs rallying people through Islam to commit murder and they are not held liable because of the position and support. This is seriously a mess.

So the judicial system of Pakistan holds no value in their eyes. Unless it does what they want. Zero tolerance only violence and no equality. This is exactly where the government needs to stand firm but they are spineless to enforce anything that upsets the religious parties. You have got the crazy mullahs rallying people through Islam to commit murder and they are not held liable because of the position and support. This is seriously a mess.

Give me five minutes on every cable channel in Pakistan's media, radio and television and I can tame the mob...

The secular extremists are part and parcel of the game dear... They know this issue is bringing a bad name to Islam so they are not doing anything to sort out the mess rather helping the religious extremists to create this mess even further... This game is called Pakistani Politics... No one cares for the innocent person in this issue...

The govt and that stupid taseer is to blame for all this mess calling names to the law and meeting asia and freeing her on his own bypassing the judicial system.

Last edited:
Give me five minutes on every cable channel in Pakistan's media, radio and television and I can tame the mob...

Doubt it. Reason is not in the vocabulary of these low lives. You should discuss it with the Mullahs and see how long you last before they get a mob going on you for challenging them.

The secular extremists are part and parcel of the game dear... They know this issue is bringing a bad name to Islam so they are not doing anything to sort out the mess rather helping the religious extremists to create this mess even further... This game is called Pakistani Politics... No one cares for the innocent person in this issue...

Sorry no such thing as secular extremism exists as no country can force religion out of the public sector. So that term is null. The ones in power are simply spineless and are to scared too oppose the religious parties.

What is this shutter strike for anyway?

The PPP government vehemently stated that they would not change the blasphemy law in any case. Why the need for these idiots, these stupid morons to disrupt the whole country when there isn't a requirement for it.

Stupid are those who dont care about the sensitivities of people and try to be act liberal.
Govt only called it off when it was clear to them that they will face opposition from all over the country and it was too late already.
If I reach a position of power, I am going to teach these people a lesson, the kind of lesson Gen Azam Khan taught them.

And some one was complaining about extremism.

Indeed we are living in a sorry state of affairs, where there strikes on non-issues takes place (religious blackmailing by the Mafia) while no one is there to get on the streets for eliminating much bigger problem/s i.e. Corruption and Justice. To hell with these sell-out Mullahs...

As much as this angers me, like nothing else can in this life, and even brings tears to my eyes, we mustn't be lead astray during these angry moments.

The Prophet PBUH is our greatest example, and he was insulted and assaulted on many occasions, and he did not seek revenge or lose control of his emotions, he stayed patient, and steadfast, and that is exactly what we must do, in these circumstances.

Or how about the story of Ali R.A, when he was about to strike a man with his sword on the battle field. Until the man spat on Ali R.A.

What did Ali R.A do? He let the man be, and walked away.

When asked, why did you let him be, he said "when I was fighting with him on the battle field, it was for Allah SWT, but when he spat on me, it became personal, so I couldn't kill for that"

Look how many times the Prophet PBUH and his companions spared people, for example the man that walked in the Mosque and urinated in the Middle of it, what did the Prophet PBUH say to the companions when they were ready to attack him?

He told them, let him finish, do not interrupt him, then he took the man aside and explained to him, where he was! :lol:

And there are thousands of similar stories.

Einstein once said,

"People fight for religion, kill for religion, but don't follow religion."

Stupid are those who dont care about the sensitivities of people and try to be act liberal.
Govt only called it off when it was clear to them that they will face opposition from all over the country and it was too late already.

Stupid are those who have hurt the livelihood of the whole country by causing unnecessary strikes and further economic loss. Imagine the amount of people who rely on their daily earnings to feed their families in such harsh times, many mouths will go hungry today because of this.

Knowing and living in this land has made me realize that humanity is the first purpose of all betterment, not some inane sensitivities that do not even matter.

You know when there is a strike, millions of poor people feel the brunt of it because they are docked a days wage, some even get their wage daily and this creates a problem.

I don't give two hoots about some sensitivity of these intolerant bigots.

And some one was complaining about extremism.

I am proud of it, don't expect me to stand back.

Back
Top Bottom