What's new

Shut your mouth, Indians - Welcome to the era of instant censorship

Shut your mouth, Indians: Welcome to the era of instant censorship

Lakshmi Chaudhry

The recipe for censorship in India is simple.

Take one or more organisations affiliated with a caste, community or religion. For best results, pick one with many angry young men. (Stay away mahila groups and NGO types.)

Add any mildly controversial cultural event, including but not limited to movie release, book launch, author appearance, seminars, or art exhibition. Size or quality is unimportant.

Bring said group to a boil.

Press firmly down on politicians and police until they warn of a "law and order" situation. Wait till organisers and sponsors are fully cooked and turn to mush.

Cancel event.

This is censorship for the fast food era. Easy, instant, and ready to serve. No bones or windows broken, no lawsuits required.

The state of free speech in our country is way past dire and now fast approaching absurd. In less than a month, three separate events have been cancelled for the frailest of reasons - and at the merest threat of violence. The wave-the-danda style of censorship is fast becoming routine, even unremarkable. So much so that unless the controversy involves an A-list celebrity like Salman Rushdie, most of us really don't give a damn. Taslima who? Some lefty guy's documentary on Kashmir? Yawn.

The anti-speech strategy is easy to discern, but here's the bigger question: why does it work so well?

One reason is that for all our 21st century pretensions, we remain deeply parochial at heart. We're deeply sensitive to any slight to our identity, be it caste, ethnic, religious, regional, nationalist, or just personal. The Sanjay Kak documentary would have been just as easily shut down if it critiqued Shivaji or - in the case of the Tamil Nadu government - if it depicteda collapsing damwhich cannot be named. And he's lucky the film doesn't take on the Ambanis, a cardinal sin which would surely merit a nationwide ban.

In India, free speech has its limits, and those limits are clear: No one has the right to talk **** about us and ours,....

democracy be damned. Of course, it is only the powerful who get to enforce the rule. As always, danda required. But while some have more power than others, the shut-your-mouth attitude is shared by the greater masses. The conservatives outraged at Rushdie's no-show are A-okay with shutting down Kak's film. Kashmiri activists hold the contrary position with equal fervency. We support free speech not on principle, but when expedient.

The other reason for our weak-kneed support of free speech is fear. For all our nationalist chest-thumping, we secretly believe that our country will fall apart if someone, somewhere says something offensive. All it takes is one incautious word to fuel riots, extremist attacks, or full-on secessionist movements. Hence, we've redefined tolerance to signify its very opposite.

Perhaps the most revealing moment in the entire Symbiosis affair is when college principal Hrishikesh Soman said, "The film has met with criticism from all corners. So we have decided to avoid unnecessary controversies and cancel the screening. If people have a very strong reason to protest the film, then we should be tolerant enough (emphasis added)."

Yes, we should now be tolerant enough of the bigots, the free speech tyrants, the self-serving politicians and their army of thugs. This is what passes for democratic values in India today.

Back in 2008, sociologist Dipankar Gupta told the New York Times that "India's leaders had become so focused on wooing votes for the next elections that they were losing sight of how to protect citizens, regardless of which caste or community they belonged to."

"Religion is important," he said. "Caste is important. Of course it's important, but so long as it does not offend the basic principle of citizenship. In India, we have forgotten it."

Or rather, we do remember it - but at our convenience.

Shut your mouth Indians Welcome to the era of instant censorship - Page 2 | Firstpost

some frustrated Lakshami I guess... hehe

Well I do agree with Laxmi for the most part. However living in a very traditional society, there are many insecurities and regulations especially with religion. To appease the majority of Hindus, beef slaughter was banned in Madhya Pradesh, to appease the Muslims, The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie was banned, The Da Vinci Code was banned in a few states where there are large Christian citizens, (Goa, Nagaland, Andhra Pradesh?). The democratic idea is still very young in India, so there are undoubtedly major flaws. As education improves and literacy increases backward mindedness of castes will deteriorate. It has remarkably however gone down quite a lot, however it is still very much alive in the utmost rural areas. Slowly but surely things will happen for the better.

The only part I disagree with is this sentence here

The other reason for our weak-kneed support of free speech is fear. For all our nationalist chest-thumping, we secretly believe that our country will fall apart if someone, somewhere says something offensive.

I had no idea how India was like or anything about the army. I hardly gave a crap of what happened in India or what wars they fought or w.e. After the Mumbai attacks however everything changed, I've honestly taken more pride in calling myself an Indian than Indians living in India lol. I started to read more about Indian culture, visited my ancestral home in J&K back in 2010, and had this serious passion for all things Indian. To say that India will fall apart is laughable, as the economy grows and people start to focus on developing 'themselves' rather than trying to create a separate theocratic state (cough), change will be a roller coaster ride with its ups and downs.

Hell this is a start

BBC News - Hundreds of India separatists lay down arms in Assam

Highlights the depth of Indian insecurity in one article. Bravo. :tup:

An article by an Indian.. Thats gotta tell you something.. And to top it all, he will survive writing that article and not wind up dead like most journalists do in a neighboring country..

guys...

democracy doesn't mean that anybody can do anything. There is a system, rule, government etc. if something is going to hurt something, yes rule of law will be enforced. i could not understand what exactly that article is trying to convey!!!

there is a misconception in some people...democracy gives freedom, not the anarchism!! life in democracy is infinite times better than the caged societies :)

India has worst media in the world.They plays with public emotions in the name of freedom. Everybody is busy to increase Rating for channel despite throwing the interest of the country for money. Just look at News Casters and analysts, How they Cry's and enhances Blood pressure at high . I have many indian friends who tells about Media that is responsible for keeping the nation sleepiness nights and tension.
Even media speaks army language. They are puppet of Raw. They says which they receive from government and army. Of course reason is money and for channel rating becomes an issue. Indian Politicians and military are suppliers of words. Media is just broad caster of of them.
This is not called freedom. This is called Illusion of freedom.

and here i am thinking how do you know about my wishes ? i dont know how u define enemy country but india had tention/ problems with bangladesh/ sri lanka.

If that was the case then iran , india , afghanistan , america , almost the entire western world would be your enemy . No it doesnt work that way .

India's problems with Sri lanka are over now since the end of LTTE and with Bangladesh the problems are relatively minor and solvable .

My last off-topic post, but If somebody called me an Indian I would spit on their face.

So tell me what is the difference between pakistani punjabi and indians punjabi ?

East punjabis are sikhs
West punjabis are muslims

There is not any ethnically differences !!!!
There are jatts in the 2 sides bro

Koi fark ni honda, assi sarey " same " ney

Koi boley waheguru, koi allah

OMG...the army has no role in the media...your pakistani mindset doesnt work here....infact most indians feel that the Indian Army deserve more power than the actually have.

ofcourse your country is a football passed between bogus politicians and army generals.

So tell me what is the difference between pakistani punjabi and indians punjabi ?

East punjabis are sikhs

Punjabian di hor gaal ah Veer. Indian minu ney pasand.

India has worst media in the world.They plays with public emotions in the name of freedom. Everybody is busy to increase Rating for channel despite throwing the interest of the country for money. Just look at News Casters and analysts, How they Cry's and enhances Blood pressure at high . I have many indian friends who tells about Media that is responsible for keeping the nation sleepiness nights and tension.
Even media speaks army language. They are puppet of Raw. They says which they receive from government and army. Of course reason is money and for channel rating becomes an issue. Indian Politicians and military are suppliers of words. Media is just broad caster of of them.
This is not called freedom. This is called Illusion of freedom.

:rofl: okay okay got it.

East punjabis are sikhs

Actually buddy Indian punjabis are also hindus . Many of them . Dont discount them paaji .

Some valid points are raised in the article. Indians are still not matured to handle sensitive issues and communal and caste based politics is alive and well. The younger generation is definitely much more open minded and tolerant. So these cowardly policies will be laughed out of practice.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom