What's new

Should Turkey Acquire Nuclear Weapons in the Future?

Should Turkey Acquire Nuclear Weapons in the Future?

• Yes.

Votes: 44 71.0%
  • No.

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • No. Already has nuclear sharing agreement.

Votes: 10 16.1%

• Total voters
Absolutely not. Not because Turkey is somehow less responsible or trustworthy than the powers that already have them, but because I believe the answer is always "No" as far as any new nukes.

Any increase in proliferation increases the chances for a nuclear exchange, which has the ability to kill a majority of the Earth's flora and fauna.

You skipped the most important part.

America couldn't have brought democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan if those countries had Nukes. :)

It would be appreciated if everyone explains why they voted the way they did.
  1. Think about ethical considerations.
  2. Will Turkey end up being like Iran?
  3. Will this make Turkey into a real regional power?
  4. Does Turkey even need it?
  5. Is it feasible from a technological perspective?
  6. What are the benefits?

1. Why not?

2. No one cares about Iran, it's all bluff. Iraq in 1980 > 0% enrichment then got hit by IDF immediately whereas Iran today nothing but "media war". Erdogan always get accused by the West and the media but it won't affect Turkey does it?

3. EU sucks. Most comments from Turkish members I see on the net calls EU broke and don't want them anyway.

4. There is only Pakistan who have the bomb, Turkey should have it second as a Muslim country. Phuck the West and their empty threats who wants all Muslim countries to be non-nuclear so why do they have it then? This is hypocrisy.

5. More long range missiles, better weapon and energy improvement etc

6. No threats, better energy use and stuff for peaceful purpose?

Israel won't let it happen.
Maybe they can have close ties/work with Pakistan in this issue, keep the work classified, deploy anti air systems around the nuclear facility just incase of IDF airstrike to avoid what happened in Iraq, Sudan and Syria then in the end reveal it like Pakistan.

Last edited:
No, Nukes are nothing but a trouble if you're not a super power.

Just a modern, regionally superior army is sufficient in our case.

Turkey has missed the opportunity & has already exercised the option of NATO, in any further escalation of events in Black sea region and in eastern Europe, EU & Turkey would be required each other's support.

In my opinion a close cooperation from both sides at strategic level to balance and counter the Russian influence in the region is the way to move forward, but this will requried some price to be paid by both EU & Turkey (more by Turkey).

If you turks are smart,I recommend this. Build nukes and biological weapons And leave NATO.The way NATO is going ,it will in war with Russia in a matter of time and Russia has enough power to still defeat NATO/USA in eastern europe still . Even Alaskan US military command would be severely hit.

At this point ,I will say this.

Turkey has good reasons to have nuclear weapons.

It might have diplomatic relations with Israel and does share technology with it too, but to think of it as a friend will be the biggest mistake. Israel is nuclear armed. Its no friend of Turkey or Muslim nations in general.

With its economy expanding at a fastest rate in its recent history, Turkey which was looked down as a country with rising population & poor economy has literally turned tables on European countries. As its economy becomes bigger, it should be supplemented by a credible deterrence that will in fact help Turkey secure its security interests.

The presence of nuclear weapons is its deterrence value. As demonstrated in volatile region of South Asia, even though India wanted to escalate regional tensions, it avoided to engage in a war with Pakistan.

I think with the Russian invasion of Ukraine realize us again the importance of deterrent value a nuclear weapons can give a country .
though Turkey share NATO nuclear weapons but in any crisis with NATO member countries a independent nuclear deterrent would be more valuable for Turkey to secure its interest .

The day Turkey feels insecure then It has every right to go for it but as of now I guess there is no need.

Back
Top Bottom