What's new

Ship with banned sat phone intercepted, crew arrested

The advisory is as clear as it can be.

Embassy of India in Moscow: "Thuraya Satphone Service is not permitted in India. Anyone using any prohibited telegraphic device, including Satphone, violates the existing laws and is liable to be penalized under the law.”

Advisory to Republic of Liberia's maritime authority: " It is intimated to all Shipping companies / Shipping agents that use of Thuraya, Irridum and other such Satellite is banned in Indian waters and seafarers should not us the same."

Embassy of India in Germany: "11.Satellite telephone services like Thuraya and Irridium are not permitted in India. Unauthorised use of satellite telephone services will be prosecuted under section 6 of Indian Wireless Act and section 20 of Indian Telegraph Act."

And similarly you can find advisories to every country. How much more clearer can it be? Also, as I said earlier on this thread, the culprits were fully aware of the illegality, since they dumped the phones into the water when they saw the ICG approaching them. Even their lawyers will have a hard time arguing that they were unaware of the law. Which by the way is no excuse, since 'Ignorantia juris non excusat '. Seafarers (or anybody else) are expected to know the laws governing their profession.

The argument is becoming circular...
The "Vagueness" s in definition of the law...
The wording bans "Use" of sat phones and one may think that "Carrying" the phones while on transit or a visit to India may be fine as long as they are not using the Equipment..
But if you read the actual law it also bans "Carrying" any satellite phone while on indian soil that includes indian airports and indian waters regardless of its being used or not..Even a switched off Satellite phone will land you in trouble..
thats why my stance that even the guidelines are vague and can land people in trouble.

Although i am not against such laws...In Pakistan Baloch terrorists are known to use Thuraya or Iridium as their primary means of communications....

Can the Thuraya Phone be assigned an MMSI No.?

Ok missed that part..
MMSI is used for DSC calling "Base to base" terrestrial or sky wave communications and mainly for scrambling signals,SOS and station identification.Such as VHF and SSB communications.
All these fascilities are built in on a satellite based communication so no need of MMSI...Although assigned to all shipboard equipment for identification purposes including satellite equipment.
once again you are confusing mandatory SOS requirements WITH OPTIONAL.Mandatory requirements for certification and sea worthiness also include not only INMARSAT but also EPIRB with MMSI and SART.
If a means of communication cannot be assigned an MMSI,does not render it banned uinder maritime laws,it simply means that station isnt a recommended means of emergency communication.

I am from DECCA,OMEGA and LORAN-C lattice charts era,and when GPS had so little satellites up there that we used to get one fix every 6 hours..Unlike now when GPS gives real time positions... .. so you the younger ones may have some updated knowledge than me..

Ok missed that part..
MMSI is used for DSC calling "Base to base" terrestrial or sky wave communications and mainly for scrambling signals,SOS and station identification.Such as VHF and SSB communications.
All these fascilities are built in on a satellite based communication so no need of MMSI...Although assigned to all shipboard equipment for identification purposes including satellite equipment.
once again you are confusing mandatory SOS requirements WITH OPTIONAL.Mandatory requirements for certification and sea worthiness also include not only INMARSAT but also EPIRB with MMSI and SART.
If a means of communication cannot be assigned an MMSI,does not render it banned uinder maritime laws,it simply means that station isnt a recommended means of emergency communication.

I am from DECCA,OMEGA and LORAN-C lattice charts era,and when GPS had so little satellites up there that we used to get one fix every 6 hours..Unlike now when GPS gives real time positions... .. so you the younger ones may have some updated knowledge than me..

I could gather which era you are from, going by some of your assertions here. :lol:

You are wrong about MMSI. It is not part of Satellite Communications. It is part of the Satellite Communication Eqpt. As well as all Radio Comms equipment on board. And it is linked to the IMO number of the ship that carries the Installation. It cannot be part of Thuraya Phones as per ITU regulations. Ergo, it is not accepted as part of a Ship Station Installation.

You are also wrong about the SatFixes, you are talking about 'Transit' or NNSS satellite nav system. It was'nt 6 hrs. It used to be from anywhere 2 hrs to 12-13 hrs depending on the ship's position.
GPS is very different.

Yes I've seen that whole 'ging-bang' Decca, Loran A & C, Omega. Right from navigating with 'running fixes'.

I could gather which era you are from, going by some of your assertions here. :lol:

You are wrong about MMSI. It is not part of Satellite Communications. It is part of the Satellite Communication Eqpt. As well as all Radio Comms equipment on board. And it is linked to the IMO number of the ship that carries the Installation. It cannot be part of Thuraya Phones as per ITU regulations. Ergo, it is not accepted as part of a Ship Station Installation.

You are also wrong about the SatFixes, you are talking about 'Transit' or NNSS satellite nav system. It was'nt 6 hrs. It used to be from anywhere 2 hrs to 12-13 hrs depending on the ship's position.
GPS is very different.

Yes I've seen that whole 'ging-bang' Decca, Loran A & C, Omega. Right from navigating with 'running fixes'.

This is internet and all of us are tough guys :lol:i am sure if i had said i am from sextant era you had said you were there before me :lol:
So i rather keep away from this "Dik measuring contest" whcih has no purpose anymore..

But well informative and entertaining discussion,you did remind me a lot of long forgotten things :tup:

Good bye

This is internet and all of us are tough guys :lol:i am sure if i had said i am from sextant era you had said you were there before me :lol:
So i rather keep away from this "Dik measuring contest" whcih has no purpose anymore..

But well informative and entertaining discussion,you did remind me a lot of long forgotten things :tup:

Good bye

Hell, no. I am no tough guy. Just a Salty Guy, a Salt-Horse. But yes, I am familiar with Sextants (still have one), Pelorus and taff-rail logs and hand-leads; used all of them. In the days of "Log, lead and lookout".So nothing to measure, really........

It also happened that I moved from doing those things to managing guys to get those things done. Now I get paid to teach other guys to manage still some other guys to do those things. So I am still current.

Any way; let us stick to discussing "Net-Centric Warfare". Since it is something that neither of us know too much about..... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom