What's new

Shangri-La Dialogue 2013 Keynote Address, Nguyen Tan Dung, Prime Minister,

I believe that if the Chinese were to abide by UNCLOS and cooperate with their partners in ASEAN, there would be mutual benefit. I don't believe the Chinese are monsters, as a people they are very kind hearted and built on principle. Their civilization is worthy of respect, however, their government's 9-dashed claim is unnecessarily hegemonic and violates UNCLOS, which they are signatory of. And as such ,they, by principle, should uphold.

Thanks for your kind words. I think the government needs to clarify the 9-dashed claim; it is just too vague and draws a lot of controversies.

On the other hand, although Philippines is a relatively small country, it doesn't automatically make her a victim in the dispute. You might want to learn their support for their claim in SCS.

I believe that if the Chinese were to abide by UNCLOS and cooperate with their partners in ASEAN, there would be mutual benefit. I don't believe the Chinese are monsters, as a people they are very kind hearted and built on principle. Their civilization is worthy of respect, however, their government's 9-dashed claim is unnecessarily hegemonic and violates UNCLOS, which they are signatory of. And as such ,they, by principle, should uphold.

And it should be noted throughout history that the Philippines has always supported American military operations in the region. From The Korean War to the Operations in Vietnam.

American military veterans, particularly my grandfather, who served in the US Marines during WWII, are eternally grateful and appreciative of Filipino guerilla fighters and local people. My grandpop took part in the Invasion of the Philippines in Leyte. Filipinos were very loyal to our troops. Our people endured with them, and our people have a historical bond.

May God bless the Philippines, May God bless the United States. One thing that I love about the Philippines is that, personally speaking, it is a Christian nation. As a Roman Catholic myself, I'm happy to know that the Philippines is majority Roman Catholic; in fact, she is the only Christian Catholic nation in Asia. The United States, as a Christian nation, has that bond with the Filipno people. We are brothers in Christ.

Very wall said.

Just another avenue for vietnam to beg for support, its pretty pathetic.

So why couldn't he give a straight forward answer when asked about what international law was broke and by whom?

Those perhaps want to look at UNCLOS as a convention not international law, maritime law gives you 12 nautical miles of territorial waters (sovereignty) and the rest are all subject to (including EEZ) claims based on evidence.

Ask yourself, who will enforce UNCLOS? The UN peacekeepers? There is no enforcement mechanism.

And for those Viets/Pinoys who are so delusional as to think US will back you based on UNCLOS, it would be highly hypocritical of them since they never signed or adhere to UNCLOS in the first place.

Big respect for the Philippine economy. I´m really jealous on your performance, I wish VN can copy a bit. You may repost this in your economy thread. I believe sooner or later, maybe in 10 years or so the Pinoys will import maids from China.

It's all about good governance bro.

BEFORE THE MARCOS DYNASTY/ MARTIAL LAW/ CORRUPTION ERA (After World War II till the 1970's), the PHILIPPINES was the 2nd WEALTHIEST and RICHEST nation in ASIA after JAPAN. Then it became POOR- the economists started calling the Philippines as the "SICK MAN OF ASIA" as it was ONCE RICH.

The Philippines was the South Korea, Singapore, HK, and Taiwan of Asia back in the day.

The Philippines also had the STRONGEST MILITARY AFTER JAPAN with more than 200 JET FIGHTERS back in the DAY proving that the Philippines was wealthy.

These were the products of good governance:

Fotor060305639.png

e022e1.jpg

Fotor060305943.png

2sb3868.jpg

34g57c4.jpg

2rf9cty.jpg

Fotor06030521.png

The Philippines also had the STRONGEST NAVY after Japan. The Philippines had LARGE DESTROYERS. No country would dare touch the Philippines back in the day.

The Philippines is the world's 5th richest in natural resources including GOLD. Still many are untapped. The Oil reserves in the EAST SIDE (not the Spratly side) are still untapped either.

The Philippines WAS ONCE on top, and is now SLOWLY CLIMBING UP AGAIN due to GOOD GOVERNANCE and Natural wealth.

Big respect for the Philippine economy. I´m really jealous on your performance, I wish VN can copy a bit. You may repost this in your economy thread. I believe sooner or later, maybe in 10 years or so the Pinoys will import maids from China.

Reality check.

Philippine GDP 2012 257 billion

Shanghai GDP 2012 320 billion :china:

Get out of the SCs sea now,who need ur dirty help ?without ur support to China in 1979,we would taken Thailand in that year already.
U soon fall like Mongol barbarian after being defeated by VN and after 100 year ruling the world.When ur country fall,we will attack all of ur allies around us and enslave them for the revenge to their atrocities during VN war.

If ur president dare to stop our right to enrich uranium,then we surely will side with China and make u fall even faster,remember that VN-China r communist countries,we wont never let China fall Coz we will fall after that,too.dump @$$

I lol'd that Vietnamese talk trash about taking on Thailand, a desperate man talk with desperation I guess...:omghaha: It's quite a revelation from a so call victime of China for millenium to bully thailand...I dare you not to spit on Thailand or you will face the wrath of muay-thai, we evil chineses are alway with them. and by the way noone wants to side with you against US certainly not China this time, you're on your own...maybe you can beg Russia again to give you credit to finance your war but don't expect to have a free weapon transit as China offer during vietnam war..you will learn to face U.S 7th fleet alone :azn:

muay-thai2-1.jpg

wen-jiabao-thai-prime-minister-yingluck-shinawatra.jpg

Thanks for your kind words. I think the government needs to clarify the 9-dashed claim; it is just too vague and draws a lot of controversies.

On the other hand, although Philippines is a relatively small country, it doesn't automatically make her a victim in the dispute. You might want to learn their support for their claim in SCS.

Then tell CHINA to ACCEPT the Philippines' invitation to take the dispute to the International Court of Justice.

China's 9 dash claim has no COORDINATES. It's about time to FIND OUT who really owns the islands.

Superpowers like the USA, UK etc. have all lost in the court. The court is not bias.

Why is CHINA scared of the court?

Just another avenue for vietnam to beg for support, its pretty pathetic.

So why couldn't he give a straight forward answer when asked about what international law was broke and by whom?

Those perhaps want to look at UNCLOS as a convention not international law, maritime law gives you 12 nautical miles of territorial waters (sovereignty) and the rest are all subject to (including EEZ) claims based on evidence.

Ask yourself, who will enforce UNCLOS? The UN peacekeepers? There is no enforcement mechanism.

And for those Viets/Pinoys who are so delusional as to think US will back you based on UNCLOS, it would be highly hypocritical of them since they never signed or adhere to UNCLOS in the first place.

UNCLOS is not the only INTERNATIONAL LAW the Philippines base its claim from.

Others are:

1. Terra Nullius and

2. EFFECTIVE Jurisdiction.

The Island of PALMAS was historically part of the Philippines. Spain gave it to the AMERICANS thru the TREATY OF PARIS. The Philippines EVEN HAD THE TITLE, but the International Court gave it to Indonesia because of their EFFECTIVE JURISDICTION.

The INTERNATIONAL COURT IGNORED THE TREATY OF PARIS.

Yes the PHILIPPINES HAD THE TITLE HISTORICALLY and LEGALLY, but UNDER INTERNATIONAL LAW, the occupation must be CONTINUOUS, UNINTERRUPTED, and ACTUAL EVIDENCE of JURISDICTION must be shown. That's why the Philippines lost to INDONESIA even though HISTORICALLY the island was theirs.

Other than the PALMAS ISLAND ISSUE, there's also a couple of International Court cases that honored EFFECTIVE JURISDICTION over HISTORICAL CLAIMS like the:

1. Clipperton Island (Mexico-France) Case

2. The Minquiers and Ecrehos Case (France/United Kingdom) Case

3. Indonesia-Malaysia Island Dipute

In the CASE of SPRATLYS and Scarborough, the PHILIPPINES has maintained effective jurisdiction of the ISLANDS. The Philippines HAVE MAINTAINED EFFECTIVE JURISDICTION. China started grabbing the area from the Philippine control just last year.

Under International Law, CHINA'S FAKE TITLE is NO MATCH with the Philippines EFFECTIVE JURISDICTION based on the 4 ICJ CASES ABOVE.

our Kilos and our ally Russia will enforce UNCLOS in SCS(east sea).Be a good boy,or we will sink all of ur oil tankers passing through our EEZ ,ur dump peasants will starve to death like North Korean after that:P

I told u,unlike coward China begged for US's support to attack VN in 1979,we dont need US's aid to fight against a poor trained and coward China army.We just simply make friend with US to earn mutual benefit from containing and hurting China :P

The table is slowly turning around.

The Philippines is a RISING TIGER ECONOMY according to the WORL BANK

The Strongest PERFORMING ASIAN ECONOMY according to economists

Just stole CHINA'S crown as the Fastest Growing Economy in ASIA

The Philippines has attained INVESTMENT GRADE

The Philippine is #1 in Merchandise Export Growth in East Asia

The Philippines is the best performing Stock MARKET in ASIA

The Philippine PESO is the 3rd Best performing Currency GLOBALLY.

The Philippines ranks first in Business Confidence Index in Asia

The Philippines is now a NEWLY Industrialized Country like CHINA, INDIA, and Brazil. It is not a developing country anymore

The Philippines is now a LENDER and not a BORROWER anymore

The Philippines is one of top 3 markets in 2013 -JP Morgan

According to Goldman Sachs, the Philippine economy will become the 14th largest economy in the world by 2050

With its ECONOMIC RISE, its MILITARY BUDGET also increased 100%.

The Philippines is SECRETLY BUYING MILITARY EQUIPMENT left and right.

By 2020, you will see the big difference.

That is currently under negotiation.

How is the exporting of maids, rampant sex industry, huge slums figure into all this.

And who ever categorize India as a newly industrialized country must be drunk. India barely has any industry and its still very poor and backward. Its still a bona fide 3rd world crap hole.

What was the GDP of SHANGHAI 20 years ago?

The Philippines just started booming. Give her 10 years and you will see the big difference.

Philippines can grow a little now because of years of neglect and mismanagement. Also, the remittance has been doing well. As well as the Philippine style tourist industry.

I lol'd that Vietnamese talk trash about taking on Thailand, a desperate man talk with desperation I guess...:omghaha: It's quite a revelation from a so call victime of China for millenium to bully thailand...I dare you not to spit on Thailand or you will face the wrath of muay-thai, we evil chineses are alway with them. and by the way noone wants to side with you against US certainly not China this time, you're on your own...maybe you can beg Russia again to give you credit to finance your war but don't expect to have a free weapon transit as China offer during vietnam war..you will learn to face U.S 7th fleet alone :azn:

muay-thai2-1.jpg

wen-jiabao-thai-prime-minister-yingluck-shinawatra.jpg
only US can feel our threat,low IQ Chinese with poor trained army cant understand it:pop:

Wanna Muay thai with us ? We fight even better:lol:
sacrava_noo_1932-thefight.jpg

What was the GDP of SHANGHAI 20 years ago?

The Philippines just started booming. Give her 10 years and you will see the big difference.

Are you really ignorant to the fact that I was comparing a city to an entire country?

To imply the Philippine to replicate shanghai growth is saying Philippine wil grow at double digits for the next 20 years, which is highly unlikely.

Then tell CHINA to ACCEPT the Philippines' invitation to take the dispute to the International Court of Justice.

China's 9 dash claim has no COORDINATES. It's about time to FIND OUT who really owns the islands.

Superpowers like the USA, UK etc. have all lost in the court. The court is not bias.

Never learnt history? See Nicaragua vs united states of America 1984. What's the use if the party involved do not recognize the jurisdiction of the ICJ.

You will be disappointed to know that once US did lose in the international court and their president gave a sh*t about the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom