What's new

Shanghai to San Francisco in 100 minutes by Chinese supersonic submarine

Professional divers can jump from a height of 85 feet (almost 8 stories), and hit the water without any injury at all.
Maximum survival height is said to be terminal velocity,terminal velocity for human is eatimated to be around 325km/hr ,someone diving from a 30meter (98feets) would have a terminal velocity of 90km/hr .
Divers are said to reach terminal velocity in 14 sec ,divers are not in the air for anywhere near 14 seconds.
Someone has to fall 3000meters to reach terminal velocity.
land in the pool like a "pancake" (exposing your entire frontal surface area to the water), then it can FEEL like you hit concrete, due to the pain receptors on your skin. But still you would still easily survive, despite the pain.

Naah, :D impact of jumping from 20 feets
is strong enough to compress your spine ,break bones if it is an unprofessional dive.

World high diving federation recommends no one jump from 65-70 feets ,incase he is not a professional as it can cause
bruises,dislocated joints,paralysis,death are the injuries to name a few.

HowStuffWorks "Cliff Diving Safety"

Well I'm sure there will be applications for this technology if it eventually matures, plus we are also working on unmanned submarines. Or maybe it could apply to long-range torpedoes.
Unmanned submaries could do wonder,with no fear of any human fatalities it would also become easier to conduct more experiments.
And btw,talks of bursting of the bubble in the future would be like ,a few asking ,what if the cables of a suspension bridge snapped :D

Cars do routinely crash into the water at high speed right? Yet their occupants survive, often without any injury (the greater threat is from drowning). And apart from being filled with water, the cars themselves don't get significantly damaged by the impact either.

Metal is stronger than water.

Though maybe some sort of seat belt like devices will help in this situation, during the high-speed portion of the travel time for example.

^^ LOL!

This is for the down syndrome olympics. :cheesy:

----------------------------------------------

In case anyone wants to know some history behind this, you can look up VA-111 Shkval, Russian supercavitating torpedo from the cold war.

Last edited:
This is a quote from your source buddy. :P
Maximum survival height is said to be terminal velocity,terminal velocity for human is eatimated to be around 325km/hr ,someone diving from a 30meter (98feets) would have a terminal velocity of 90km/hr .
Divers are said to reach terminal velocity in 14 sec ,divers are not in the air for anywhere near 14 seconds.
like i said in my post it's safe for ''professional'' divers to jump from any heights untill they reach the terminal velocity :D
These things are not for newbies like you n me :p:
anyways i guess we are going off topic and i would like to rest my case here :)

Anyway I think I have found the answer to my own question, from "Mythbusters". :cheers:

All supersonic bullets (up to .50-caliber) disintegrated in less than 3 feet (90 cm) of water, but slower velocity bullets, like pistol rounds, need up to 8 feet (2.4 metres) of water to slow to non-lethal speeds. Shotgun slugs require even more depth (the exact depth couldn’t be determined because their one test broke the rig). However, as most water-bound shots are fired from an angle, less actual depth is needed to create the necessary separation.

MythBusters Episode 34: Bulletproof Water

So being above supersonic speed (above 1,125 ft/s) will shatter the bullet after about 3 feet.

But for below supersonic speed, like with the pistol bullet (around 980 ft/s), the bullet managed to travel 2.4 metres before slowing down to non-lethal speeds, but the bullet itself continued moving and remained intact/unbroken.

The Soviet super cavitation torpedo went at speeds far below supersonic (about 337 ft/s), but in theory the technology could possibly just about reach supersonic speed, which is the "theoretical maximum" that super cavitation could achieve. If going at subsonic speeds (most likely) then an unmanned submarine or torpedo could survive, as the Russian version did.

I still don't know under what circumstances the bubble could "collapse", or if there are any methods by which any possible collapse could be avoided. Apparently it never happened to the Russian super cavitation torpedo.

I still don't like the "concrete" analogy, it seems inaccurate to me, since I doubt a regular pistol round could travel for more than 2.4 meters through solid concrete, before slowing to "non-lethal speeds", as it does in water.

Last edited:
It's good to see you cannot counter with anything but go straight to abusing the power.

Well I'm trying to have a rational discussion, as above, and your response is to say "This is for the down syndrome olympics. :cheesy:"

There is nothing to counter. The Webmaster's rules are clear, don't respond to trolling, just negative rate and ignore.

Well I'm trying to have a rational discussion, as above, and your response is to say "This is for the down syndrome olympics. :cheesy:"

There is nothing to counter. The Webmaster's rules are clear, don't respond to trolling, just negative rate and ignore.

Rational discussion? Really? You compared a supersonic crash with a car driving into the water? Your reasoning was, "it's just a bit faster and when car drives off they all survive, so they will here too". Rational?

Well I'm sure there will be applications for this technology if it eventually matures, plus we are also working on unmanned submarines. Or maybe it could apply to long-range torpedoes.

Maybe there is some method to avoid this happening, surely the researchers must believe it, if they are still putting their time into it after all.

Maybe make the tip of the submarine/torpedo into a specific shape, made out of specific materials to prevent the bubble from collapsing, or to reduce the ill effects of a bubble collapse.

As i said, even if you get the bubble working you still have the oceans full of debris. A simple fish with 2 kg weight would impact into this vessel with many hundred tons energy at this speeds. It may be a good technology for torpedos and small objects but not for a large manned object.

Rational discussion? Really? You compared a supersonic crash with a car driving into the water? Rational?

Well I am using the bullet analogy now, do you have anything to say about that, apart from more comments about down syndrome olympics? :disagree:

Did the Russian super cavitation torpedo suddenly have a "bubble collapse" and destroy itself underwater? I can't find anything saying that it did?

Well I am using the bullet analogy now, do you have anything to say about that, apart from more comments about down syndrome olympics? :disagree:

Did the Russian super cavitation torpedo suddenly have a "bubble collapse" and destroy itself underwater? I can't find anything saying that it did?

The bubble can´t collapse. It generates itself. Its an physical imperative. The problem is debris in the water that you could hit at that speeds.

Not only that if the bubble fails you are going to hit a brick wall of water instantaneously.

Peter C do you have any information about how or when a super cavitation bubble could suddenly collapse?

The Russian super cavitation torpedo never ran into such problems, from what I can find on the internet.

The bubble can´t collapse. It generates itself. Its an physical imperative. The problem is debris in the water that you could hit at that speeds.

Thank you. That makes a lot more sense than a bubble collapse. :cheers:

So it seems that this would be unsuited for manned submarines, it would be better for unmanned submarines or torpedoes.

Doesn't matter if you can't find. That's irelevant. Fact is, you compared two completly incomparable events and when getting called out on it you responded with power abuse.

Doesn't matter if you can't find. That's irelevant. Fact is, you compared two completly incomparable events and when getting called out on it you responded with power abuse.

So a one-liner (since edited by you) saying, and I quote:

^^ LOL!

This is for the down syndrome olympics. :cheesy:

Does not qualify as trolling? Especially when I'm trying to have a rational discussion?

Like the Webmaster said, when you see trolling, you negative rate and ignore. It's my mistake now to be replying to it. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom