What's new

Featured SH15 Artillery in Pakistan

First , before I answer any queries

What I found was that we faced some problems with the Sh15 once it came here, we then decided for SH2, I've got details of its trials as well, pretty successful and several advantages for us which will unfold subsequently.

SH2 now. A better version of SH15.

MRSI, multiple rounds, simultaneous impact, enables you to fire several projectiles, c with different charges and trajectories, to land a target at the same time, even though fired at different times. Helps in quick neutralization of any critical target.

Artillery, very rarely, opens up LOC, rather, opening of Artillery is taken seriously along LOC. That's why, maximum of mortars are used.

No Artillery fire in Siachen or along international boundary.
excellent update
thanks

What I found was that we faced some problems with the Sh15 once it came here, we then decided for SH2, I've got details of its trials as well, pretty successful and several advantages for us which will unfold subsequently.

MRSI, multiple rounds, simultaneous impact, enables you to fire several projectiles, c with different charges and trajectories, to land a target at the same time, even though fired at different times. Helps in quick neutralization of any critical target.

Artillery, very rarely, opens up LOC, rather, opening of Artillery is taken seriously along LOC. That's why, maximum of mortars are used.

but sirji sh2 is 122mm
btw then wht is sop in siachin and kargil areas to engage enemy

excellent update
thanks

but sirji sh2 is 122mm
btw then wht is sop in siachin and kargil areas to engage enemy

In siachin, Artillery is rarely resorted to , c since it can trigger avalanches.

Wait are we buying sh15 or this un-heared sh2?

Dear, actually it's not only roads that Artillery want.

There is something which is called crest clearance. You have to position your gun in such a manner that the round fired from your gun should be able to clear the top most point of the mountain right in front of you with a good enough distance..... This problem is always faced whenever you are trying to site an Artillery or a mortar position in narrow values.

Therefore, you may be able to take your Artillery, there, but you not be able to clear the crest every time.

I talked about bridges as well. Most of the bridges on our northern areas may not support 25 or 30 tons weight. This is a very important consideration.
I understand that sir. But that is almost same for towed artillery and SPH right?So this do not makes using SPH any more difficult than towed artillery in that terrain.

The argument we were having (as per my understanding) was that wheeled SPH will be suitable for these northern regions compared to tracked SPH and that is one reason that we are going for these. Now no one is saying that all the SH 15 are only to be used on northern region or that it is the only reason why these are being procured. However one of the main reasons we decided to go for wheeled options is because these can be used in the north. While helicopter transportable light weight artillery is not very practical for us as explained in previous post, the towed mule transported guns are what we currently use and will keep on using with an option to be supported by these wheeled SPH.Once again, THIS was one of the main reasons we decided to go for wheeled SPH. I mean when the pros and cons were sorted, this was a major positive/favorable factor.

I think what he meant was that both systems were recommended to be purchased - that is our requirements are such that we need/want both of them. Of course both passed the trial as well. But for now only one is being procured (at least thats what is in the news). It may happen that we will purchase T5-52 later.

Bro it will just confuse some members further. Recommended to be purchases NOT AS IN BOTH SYSTEMS ARE REQUIRED TOGETHER. Recommended as in Both are ok and can be purchased. That means both can go (again, it was not these two, Nora B52 was the third one) to the next round. The business deal!!

Sir SH2 a version of SH15?

SH 2 is 122mm (different gun barrel) and mounted on a different platform.

Wait are we buying sh15 or this un-heared sh2?
SH 15 are confirmed of sorts. 100 + 200 is what is being talked about/finalized.

SH 2 is being used by Nigeria. Emission bottom concave bombs maximum range of 18 kilometers, the bottom row of launching missile a maximum range of 22 kilometers, the bottom row of rocket launching extended-range missile has a maximum range of up to 27 kilometers. Thats very less as compared to SH 15

SH-2
微信图片_20200502231044.jpg

Now no one is saying that all the SH 15 are only to be used on northern region or that it is the only reason why these are being procured. However one of the main reasons we decided to go for wheeled options is because these can be used in the north. While helicopter transportable light weight artillery is not very practical for us as explained in previous post, the towed mule transported guns are what we currently use and will keep on using with an option to be supported by these wheeled SPH.Once again, THIS was one of the main reasons we decided to go for wheeled SPH. I mean when the pros and cons were sorted, this was a major positive/favorable factor.
I just hope this is true. We seriously lack in towed artillery in both quantity and quality which are installed against India at LOC and Working Boundary

I understand that sir. But that is almost same for towed artillery and SPH right?So this do not makes using SPH any more difficult than towed artillery in that terrain.

The argument we were having (as per my understanding) was that wheeled SPH will be suitable for these northern regions compared to tracked SPH and that is one reason that we are going for these. Now no one is saying that all the SH 15 are only to be used on northern region or that it is the only reason why these are being procured. However one of the main reasons we decided to go for wheeled options is because these can be used in the north. While helicopter transportable light weight artillery is not very practical for us as explained in previous post, the towed mule transported guns are what we currently use and will keep on using with an option to be supported by these wheeled SPH.Once again, THIS was one of the main reasons we decided to go for wheeled SPH. I mean when the pros and cons were sorted, this was a major positive/favorable factor.

Bro it will just confuse some members further. Recommended to be purchases NOT AS IN BOTH SYSTEMS ARE REQUIRED TOGETHER. Recommended as in Both are ok and can be purchased. That means both can go (again, it was not these two, Nora B52 was the third one) to the next round. The business deal!!

Sir SH2 a version of SH15?

SH 2 is 122mm (different gun barrel) and mounted on a different platform.

SH 15 are confirmed of sorts. 100 + 200 is what is being talked about/finalized.

Again, wheeled Artillery does have advantages, but try to understand the logistics. If a vehicle is there, there ought to have vehicle workshops as well to repair or maintain them, no one will like them to go to Gilgit, we will need a number of workshops up close to the LOC for quick on spot maintenance.

You may find a great deal of similarity between SH2 and D30.

I just hope this is true. We seriously lack in towed artillery in both quantity and quality which are installed against India at LOC and Working Boundary
Please read this:
It can be used there. But if you are asking how likely it is to see these in extensive action across LoC then my answer is not very likely, not very often. There are more than one reasons for this.
  1. Artillery fire is considered as a major violation/provocation. Will be rarely used in peace time to hit targets across LoC.
  2. Pakistan is at a disadvantage that on other side of the border there still are our Muslim Kashmiri Brothers. We cannot go for extensive bombardment as Indians usually do. That is why you see us using mortars and precision attack munitions/ATGMs etc to target Indian forces across LoC.

Last edited:
SH 2 is being used by Nigeria. Emission bottom concave bombs maximum range of 18 kilometers, the bottom row of launching missile a maximum range of 22 kilometers, the bottom row of rocket launching extended-range missile has a maximum range of up to 27 kilometers. Thats very less as compared to SH 15

We could then have brought MLRS of If we were after long range.

Try to understand the requirements... In which area this gun is required, what role exactly is expected of of this gun etc.

Why all this talk of defensive posture around LoC ? arent militwry planners keeping jn mind that once troops move into IOK, the artillary needs to move to new forward positions ? as it is wheeled i am expecting it to easily move across through unpaved roads into indian held kashmir to bew postions.. whats the tracked distance traveled and how much steep can it climb? unpaved gradient of 30 degrees?
wont that be an interesting day that after liberating whole kashmir, the new thrust starts from jammu into pathankot down the valley towards dehli ..

Again, wheeled Artillery does have advantages, but try to understand the logistics. If a vehicle is there, there ought to have vehicle workshops as well to repair or maintain them, they ask will not go to Gilgit, we will need a number of workshops up close to the LOC for quick on spot maintenance.

You may find a great deal of similarity between SH2 and D30.
Yes, the workshops and training of crew, maintenance of SPH is ALWAYS going to be more intensive and hard compared to towed artillery sir. There is no denying that fact. Maintenance level logistics can be provided in one or two main bases. That up north is a VAST region.

Plus, the wheeled howitzers wont serve us well on sandy terrain of South Punjab or Sindh. Wont be as effective as the tracked SPH in soggy plains of Punjab either. One major advantage it will have over tracked SPH is the speed with which it can reach the operational area. Once deployed, it will be at a disadvantage compared to tracked ones.
On other hand if we talk about northern, the tracked ones are not an option there at all. The terrain do not suits, the logistics are impossible for tracked ones. In this situation, once again, the wheeled SPH will serve us better over there compared to tracked ones. That is one major factor why we decided to go for these. You know better than i do that our military is not very keen in switching to a new system. The time (about 7 years ago) when going for wheeled SPH was being discussed, these factors that i stated above were major favorable points for opting to go for wheeled SPH.

Pakistan is at a disadvantage that on other side of the border there still are our Muslim Kashmiri Brothers. We cannot go for extensive bombardment as Indians usually do. That is why you see us using mortars and precision attack munitions/ATGMs etc to target Indian forces across LoC.
Kashmir%2B-%2BMuslim%2BPopulation%2B01.gif

Try hitting Akhnoor, Ranbir Singh Pura, Bishna and Hiranagar

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom