What's new

SH-15 Self propelled howitzer under trials by Pakistan army?

Standard caliber doesn't mean standard munition. As I've stated before, different shell families are quite nuanced in their design and can have drastically-different ranges. A great example of this is the WS-35 which outranges even most RAP shells.

You didn't get it. The ammunition used has been standardised. Everybody is using NATO standard.

Bring the WS-35 to India, I'll fire it from the ATAGS and it will do 150Km.

Stereotype based on facts.
Why does jf17 have russian and not chinese engines ? Chinese would be cheaper ?
I was in china for 6 months, in critical areas they use only mnc or imported parts.

yes yes... foreign engine.. Wait, this is a Chinese engine and the TVC is different from all other I have seen.

Chinese video about SH-15 Howitzer

Originally, PA bought SH-1 but due to accuracy problem. They abandon the plan. PL0-45 and PLZ-05 are simply too expensive despite having the accuracy and 52 calibre. They wanted a wheel version which fits their budget. Something that gives the best of bucks.

SH-15 fulfils PA requirement. Given its maximum range with its gun while without sacrificing the accuracy. Most important, it fits PA budget.

Last edited:
You didn't get it. The ammunition used has been standardised. Everybody is using NATO standard.

Bring the WS-35 to India, I'll fire it from the ATAGS and it will do 150Km.

NATO-standard refers explicitly to the 155 mm caliber, commonized for the sake of interoperability. This does not account for differences within and between families of shells of this caliber, and hence nothing to suggest that the ATAGS will exceed the ranges of other guns when firing a certain munition.

NATO-standard refers explicitly to the 155 mm caliber, commonized for the sake of interoperability. This does not account for differences within and between families of shells of this caliber, and hence nothing to suggest that the ATAGS will exceed the ranges of other guns when firing a certain munition.

There are no differences that you are expecting.

PLA can steal IA shells and use them. You won't find much of a difference.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...long-range-155mm-gun/articleshow/66407210.cms
Official said that a prototype with a new range of 50-60 kilometres, will also undergo trials, testing its abilities in different climates and terrain, along with range accuracy.

There are no differences that you are expecting.

There are absolutely differences between different models of shells even of the same caliber. Explain why the WS-35 and Excalibur have different ranges despite them both having gliding capabilities to extend range and the same 155 mm caliber. Structural nuances can translate to significant differences in their capabilities. Propellant charge is also another factor.

PLA can steal IA shells and use them. You won't find much of a difference.

How would you know?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...long-range-155mm-gun/articleshow/66407210.cms
Official said that a prototype with a new range of 50-60 kilometres, will also undergo trials, testing its abilities in different climates and terrain, along with range accuracy.

50-60 km range with what ammunition? Isn't that the basis of our entire discussion?

Firing stability(=accuracy) comparison

French Caesar

Swedish Archer

Chinese SH15

Click on the link below if the images fail to show

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=Mz...e=1&scene=1&srcid=1202Kz85BSb6r0Sv8w4lfxGm#rd

Last edited:
The Targets the Howitzer will have to deal with:

The Planned Russian Tactical Battle Groups (the template for the Indian Battle Groups) are similar in purpose, structure, and tactical use to U.S. Army battalion task forces.

Per Brigade (3-5 Battalions) the Russians plan to field:
41 T-72B3 Main Battle Tank
129 BMP-3 Infantry Fighting Vehicle
129 BMP-2 Infantry Fighting Vehicle
129 MT-LBV Tracked Armored Personnel Carrier
129 BTR-82A Wheeled Armored Personnel Carrier
18 152-MM SP Howitzer
18 BM-21 Multiple Rocket Launcher

Reference: https://www.coursehero.com/file/p8d...-are-task-organized-battalion-plus-sized-tac/

An Example of What an attack would look like would be:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_to_the_River_Rhine
Here is a video of what a war with Russian T-90s in this kind of formation could look like in the near future

Last edited:
Ground clearing was the first thing I saw and thought if it has to go off road then its done for. A better choice would have been the tatra truck. Heck even the SH1 had better ground clearing.
compare just the wheels alone.

- just look at the wheel size.

this is older firecontrol/battlefield awareness system which is shown as unclassified.

There are absolutely differences between different models of shells even of the same caliber. Explain why the WS-35 and Excalibur have different ranges despite them both having gliding capabilities to extend range and the same 155 mm caliber. Structural nuances can translate to significant differences in their capabilities. Propellant charge is also another factor.

How would you know?

50-60 km range with what ammunition? Isn't that the basis of our entire discussion?

I don't think you understand what NATO standard means, but yeah, China's production quality may be lower, but the shell design follows NATO standard.

The WS-35, Excaliber etc are very expensive, unique ammo. No point even bringing those here.

I don't think you understand what NATO standard means, but yeah, China's production quality may be lower, but the shell design follows NATO standard.

The WS-35, Excaliber etc are very expensive, unique ammo. No point even bringing those here.

NATO standard refers to the caliber, 155 mm, not a common artillery shell production model. It's for interoperability and does not standardize detailed engineering nuances and/or capability differences between 155 mm shells/systems.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom