What's new

Several hurt as man opens fire in Dutch tram

One feared dead in Dutch tram shooting in possible terrorist attack: Authorities

One person was feared dead and several suffered gunshot wounds on Monday in a tram in the central Dutch city of Utrecht and a hunt was underway for the gunman in an incident authorities said appeared to be a terrorist attack.

Dutch broadcaster NOS said police had surrounded a building where the suspected gunman was believed to be holed up. There was no immediate word on who the gunman was or on the precise number or identity of the victims.

105799247-1552907069837gettyimages-1131375271.jpeg

Police forces stand at the 24 Oktoberplace in Utrecht, on March 18, 2019 where a shooting took place.
Robin van Lonkhuijsen | AFP | Getty Images

Authorities raised the terrorism threat to its highest level in Utrecht province, schools were told to shut their doors and paramilitary police increased security at airports and other vital infrastructure. Security was also stepped up at mosques.

"Several shots were fired in a tram and several people were injured. Helicopters are at the scene and no arrests have been made," said police spokesman Joost Lanshage. He was not immediately able to provide further details.

Local broadcaster RTV Utrecht quoted a witness as saying he had seen a woman lying on the ground amid some kind of confrontation and several men ran away from the scene.

A reporter for NOS said a white sheet had been placed over a body near the tram where the shooting had taken place.

NOS quoted Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, head of the Netherlands' counter-terrorism agency, as saying the shooting "appears to be a terrorist attack", echoing an earlier comment by police.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte convened crisis talks, saying he was deeply concerned about the incident, which came three days after a lone gunman killed 50 people in mass shootings at two mosques in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand.

Utrecht, the Netherlands' fourth largest city, is known for its picturesque canals and large student population. Gun killings are rare in Utrecht, as elsewhere in the Netherlands.

Utrecht police said the tram station stop in a square outside the city centre had been cordoned off. Emergency services were at the scene.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/18/shooting-in-tram-in-dutch-city-of-utrecht.html

Guys.. honest question.. please answer me..

I am going on a family trip to France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Belgium and Netherlands.. I will spend most of the time in Switzerland and France starting 27 March

Is it a good time to go or should I cancel?

Italy, Netherlands and France can be risky.

If womenfolk are wearing shalwar kameez and dopata etc, then stick to mainstream tourist spots during daytime only. Just don't be adventurous, especially with family.

Avoid night walks and hire a car in each country if travelling extensively.

Utrecht tram shooting: Multiple people hurt in Dutch incident
By Rosanne Roobeek and Lauren Said-Moorhouse, CNN

Updated 1232 GMT (2032 HKT) March 18, 2019

(CNN)A manhunt is underway after a gunman opened fire inside a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht, authorities have confirmed.

One person is feared dead and several were wounded in the shooting incident, according to police spokesman Joost Lanshage.

Dutch authorities are considering "a possible terrorist motive" for the shooting, which happened in 24 October Square at 10:45 a.m. (5:45 a.m ET) on Monday, Utrecht police said on Twitter.

"We cannot rule out terrorist motive," The Netherlands' National Coordinator for Security and Counterterrorism, PJ Aalbersberg, tweeted. "Crisis team is activated."

Aalbersberg added in a follow-up post that the threat level in Utrecht Province has been raised to 5 -- the highest in the country -- meaning critical. It will remain in place for up to 18 hours, he said.

190318065855-06-utrecht-shooting-exlarge-169.jpg

Police officers at the scene of a shooting on a tram in Utrecht's 24 October Square.

Politie Utrecht

✔@PolitieUtrecht

A shooting occurred on the #24oktoberplein in #Utrecht. The incident has been reported at 10.45 hour. Multiple people have been injured. The surrounding area has been cordoned off and we are investigating the matter.

3:44 PM - Mar 18, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
2,259 people are talking about this

The shooting is now over but three rescue helicopters have been sent to the scene -- which has since been cordoned off -- to "monitor" the situation, Lanshage added.

Photos from the vicinity posted on social media show the tram stopped in its tracks with police tape locking down the area and multiple emergency vehicles nearby.

A CNN crew observed a tarpaulin in front of one section of the tram, which is believed to be shielding a body.
Vincent van Roon witnessed the shooting from his office. He told CNN: "I was there at the moment of the shooting. I'm in a building next to the tram. I heard the shooting and people came into the building, hiding.
Van Roon recalled seeing a heavy police response and medical personnel working on one of the wounded in the street "for a long time."

Prime Minister Mark Rutte told CNN's affiliate RTL that he was "very concerned" about the incident.

In response to the shooting, police in Rotterdam -- a city around 60 kilometers (37 miles) away from Utrecht -- have increased security around mosques and stations in the city, according to a post on their official Twitter account.

The Netherlands have largely escaped terror incidents in recent years. But Dutch police previously foiled what they described as a major terrorist attack last September when they arrested seven individuals in Rotterdam.

Earlier that month, a man was shot by police at Amsterdam's central railway station after stabbing two American tourists. Authorities said the suspect had a "terrorist motive" but was believed to have acted alone.
CNN's Stephanie Halasz and Arnaud Siad also contributed to this report.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/18/europe/utrecht-shooting-intl/index.html?adkey=bn

In todays life one man can do enough damage . Just matter of automatic weapons . Dangerous situation ahead.
Imagine what one dozen man will do?

If police suspect terrorist motive there are two possibilities:

1.) ISIS related shooting
2.) Hate crime related shooting

Both are equally deplorable and we respond by finding out root causes of these problems and improving security. And respond with peace while allowing authorities to do the work. If this is similiar to New Zealand attack it's not surprising there would be a copy cat attack and authorities would need time to start adjusting to the relatively new threat.

I am going on a family trip to France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Belgium and Netherlands.. I will spend most of the time in Switzerland and France starting 27 March

Bro there is a sudden wave terrorism in Europe so cannot advise you to go or not to go to these countries. France is going g through some of most violent protests so wait some time before things get normal.

If police suspect terrorist motive there are two possibilities:

1.) ISIS related shooting
2.) Hate crime related shooting

Both are equally deplorable and we respond by finding out root causes of these problems and improving security. And respond with peace while allowing authorities to do the work. If this is similiar to New Zealand attack it's not surprising there would be a copy cat attack and authorities would need time to start adjusting to the relatively new threat.

Did he scream out Allahu Akbar you can tell its a isis one if they scream out God is the Greatest.

Majority of terrorist attacks done by a so called Muslim always scream out Allahu Akbar.

The most beautiful words in the world now tainted for good. People hear Allahu Akbar they freak out how sad :(

German and french peoples going nuts just check news. Better cancel the visit or change countries.

Sad but it was expected. Either from some ill non muslim mind or ill muslim mind.

It is extremly sad news... the Police is looking for Turkish shooter Gokman Tanis.

With all that positive response to terrorism in NZ against muslims... this incidence will be very negative.

We must condemn this act of terror! Without reserve.

Deeply saddend and hurt with this incidence. Terrorism has no religion and no race. It is terrorism.

NL is an extremely tolerant society. We have worked very hard to build a multicultural society. Such acts of terror trears society apart. Very very sad.

https://www.nu.nl/schietpartij-utre...-burgers-om-binnen-te-blijven.html?redirect=1

Did he scream out Allahu Akbar you can tell its a isis one if they scream out God is the Greatest.

Majority of terrorist attacks done by a so called Muslim always scream out Allahu Akbar.

The most beautiful words in the world now tainted for good. People hear Allahu Akbar they freak out how sad :(

I can't believe there are people who have black and white thinking and believe there needs to be revenege for NZ attack. The only way you can revenge such attack is killing the shooter himself. Not by attacking innocent civilians. Authorities themselves deliever the punishments. Civilians need to not get involved in these situations. There are crazy people in this world with guns and we might have to live with this reality of random shootings once in awhile and try not to politicize these matters.

Germany and Italy are safe..the rest of the countries you are going to ain't if you are a Muslim

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom