What's new

Saudi Naval Doctrine

I

The same reason these submarines are supposedly effective (Shallow waters making Sonar ineffective) are the same reason they are ineffective, shallow waters make passive sonar submarines use to find targets equally ineffective. The Persian Gulf has waters as shallow as 10-20 meters in nearly every location outside the strait of Hormuz. At that point the submarine becomes effectively a very slow missile boat.

A small submarine sitting and waiting at the base of the water has a much better detection capability of the above vessels than they do of it. Detecting acoustic signatures of targets moving above you is not hindered (practically) by the particulars of the Persian Gulf.This will be the manner in which most of the midget sized submarines will be used, in a "sit and wait" ambush attack.

It was reported to be part of the same deal for the four LCS vessels

The same reason these submarines are supposedly effective (Shallow waters making Sonar ineffective) are the same reason they are ineffective, shallow waters make passive sonar submarines use to find targets equally ineffective. The Persian Gulf has waters as shallow as 10-20 meters in nearly every location outside the strait of Hormuz. At that point the submarine becomes effectively a very slow missile boat.

Pakistani, Israeli and Turkish expeience seems to suggest otherwise. What is stopping GCC is the history, technology, human resource to set up a Submarine arm. It is no easy thing to do, and when they get round to it I have no doubt they will set this up. GCC have very strong air arms they set up at the expense of strong navies.

I have no doubt they will get round to doing this, Pakistan trains many GCC Naval officers at it's facilities, it is not a big jump to start sending them to our Sub schools. These are being expanded greatly, as in a few years Pakistan will have 11 AIP equipped subs, all of them will need at least two crews each. Thats around 800 officers and men who will need advanced training and constant replacing.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom