What's new

Saudi Arabia to buy Altay MBTs.

It's funny I know!
Sorry for the typo. I meant that PM Erdogan said to Sarkozy has your mother told you about what we did to the Algerians.

Erdogan speaks Arabic
His grandma is Armenian or at least one side of his ancestors is,thats what i thought you meant.
I qouted your post and this film showed up??????
HAHAHAH,its cause you edited your post at the same time i answered.

Last edited by a moderator:
His grandma is Armenian or at least one side of his ancestors is,thats what i thought you meant.
I qouted your post and this film showed up??????
HAHAHAH,its cause you edited your post at the same time i answered.

Well, my iPad fails and I type fast that I don't review my mini-posts :D...

Only for the first batch will be produced. Afterward it will be equipped with a Turkish engine equal to diesel engine Doosan Infracore Corporation [K2 Black Panther, 1 500 horsepower (1,100 kW) 12-cylinder diesel engine].

Korean engine program failed bro...

I think it's just temporary.

South korea has largely all technological capabilities to solve its problems - with a little more time -.

Wikip:

K2 Black Panther (Hangul: K2 '흑표', hanja: K2 '黒豹')

Development

The design became production-ready in 2006, following 11 years in development and a research budget expenditure of approximately US$230 million, and entered production phase on March 2, 2007 in Changwon, South Korea.

It was originally planned for the K2 to feature a domestically-designed powerpack, based upon the German-designed MTU-890, comprising a Doosan Infracore Corporation 1,500 horsepower (1,100 kW) 12-cylinder diesel engine and a S&T Dynamics transmission. However, this encountered recurrent technical problems in testing, leading to a delay in operational deployment of the K2.

In March, 2011, South Korea's Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) announced that mass production of the K2, which the Army was expecting to deploy in 2012, will not happen until 2013 due to problems concerning its engine and transmission. In April 2012 DAPA announced that due to ongoing issues with the reliability and durability of the domestically-produced powerpack, the first 100 production K2s would use a German engine and transmission and that service entry would be delayed until March 2014.

Doosan Corporation

Doosan Global : Home

Doosan Infracore Engine : HOME

S&T Dynamics

S&T ?

http://www.hisntd.com/eng/pdf/Defense.pdf

Korea to buy German engines for K2 tanks

2012-04-02 20:28
By Lee Tae-hoon

Seoul decided Monday to import an engine and transmission system from Germany for the production of the first 100 K2 Black Panther main battle tanks, a spokesman of the state-run arms procurement agency said.

“We have decided to delay our plan to use a homegrown powerpack due to problems identified over its reliability and durability,” Baek Yoon-hyung, spokesman for the Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) said. “We have concluded that it will be difficult to fix the problems in time for the planned deployment.”

DAPA had postponed the first deployment of the locally developed K2 tanks to December 2013 in an attempt to give domestic manufacturers a chance to succeed in making a power pack comprised of a 1,500-horsepower, 12-cylinder diesel engine and transmission.

Baek noted that the military will buy a domestically-built engine and transmission system for new orders if it manages to pass tests in August this year.

He added that the deployment of K2 tanks will be further delayed for three months to March 2014 to ensure the quality of the German powerpack.

Unveiled in 2007, the K2 is a major defense product for domestic needs and overseas sales. The K2 technology has already been exported to Turkey.

The K2 carries a three-person crew supported by an auto-loading system and a locally-developed 120-millimeter/55-caliber stabilized smoothbore gun. The fully-digitalized vehicle has an electric gun/turret driving system, automatic sensor input, and power monitoring and control system

koreatimes.co.kr

Good news for us Turks : HURRIYETDAILYNEWS| Syria war may bring Saudi deal for Altay
(I don't have a high enough post count to link articles, if someone would please do so for reference)
Turkish arms makers and defense officials are expecting to win more contracts from the Sunni bloc of countries, spearheaded by Saudi Arabia, as political solidarity with Turkey over the Syrian civil war deepens and could pave the way for “preferential treatment” in defense deals.

“The Sunni bloc now actively engaged in efforts to oust [Syrian President Bashar] al-Assad have been good clients for Turkey’s weapons industry. Now there are indications that their political alliance with Ankara may facilitate bigger contracts,” said one top defense industry official.

An executive from a Turkish armored vehicles manufacturer said that reinforced alliances with some of the Gulf countries over the Syrian crisis have already indicated that new contracts could be in the offing for the Turkish arms industry. “I can say that we are more warmly welcomed in certain [Gulf] capitals than before. Our counterparts have made it clear that almost excellent political relations their countries have with Turkey could soon turn into new business opportunities for Turkish defense companies,” he said.

In 2012, Saudi Arabia was Turkey’s third largest defense industry customer, with Turkish exports valued at $99 million, or 7.8 percent of Turkey’s entire defense and aerospace exports worth $1.262 billion. Turkish defense exports to the United Arab Emirates totaled $101 million, and to the Shia-majority but Sunni-ruled Bahrain $91 million in the same year. The three Gulf countries altogether accounted for nearly a quarter of Turkey’s all defense exports in 2012.

Officials said Turkish armored vehicles maker Otokar, a subsidiary of Koç Holding, could sell to Saudi Arabia hundreds of the Altay, the third generation tank it is currently developing.

A source at the defense procurement agency, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM), said a Saudi order for the Altay in the near future was “quite probable.”

“The Altay is not available for immediate sale, but is potentially a powerful export product when you think of a medium-term deal. Saudis are good customers with available cash, good political ties and their need for new tanks. We are hopeful about a future deal [for the Altay],” the official said.

Saudi Arabia has 320 elderly AMX-30 French tanks in need of replacement. Saudi Arabia and Turkey, along with Qatar, are spearheading efforts to oust Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad. Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar support rebel forces fighting al-Assad’s army in a civil war that has taken nearly 100,000 lives in two years. “Adding a defense industry dimension to their ties would augment the Turkish-Saudi alliance against Iran,” said a western military attaché here.

Turkey and Saudi Arabia reiterated their common understanding on the civil war in Syria, during a visit by Saudi Crown Prince Salman bin Abdulaziz to Ankara May 21. Following his talks with President Abdullah Gul, Salman met with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu May 22. “We fully agree on the urgent need to stop the bloodshed in Syria. We also agree that our efforts for peace there should be coordinated. It was a useful wrap up [meeting] ahead of the Geneva conference,” a Turkish diplomat said.

Koç Holding’s Otokar designed and is producing prototypes of the Altay in a deal to sell in four tranches of 250 units each to the Turkish military. The Turkish Army currently has in its inventory 720 German-made Leopard 1 and 2 tanks, 930 American M-60s and 1,370 M-48s, most of which are Cold War era tanks and need replacement.

Defense industry sources said that Otokar’s rival in any Saudi tank deal could be the French Leclerc. Earlier, France proposed replacing Saudi Arabia’s French-made AMX-30s with the AMX-56 Leclerc. However, sources say the 65-ton Altay would better meet the Saudi requirement than the 55-ton Leclerc. The Altay is similar in many ways to the 400 M1 tanks the Saudis have (in service or on order): both have a 120mm gun, composite armor, and high-end electronics.

Last November, Otokar unveiled the Altay with top government officials promising that the program would be completed “one or two years” ahead of time. In 2008, Otokar signed a $500 million contract with the country’s procurement office, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries. Under the deal, Otokar will finish building four prototypes of the Altay this year, two years ahead of the original schedule. The four prototypes will undergo performance tests throughout 2013.

The SSM selected South Korea’s Hyundai Rotem for the overall technical support. Turkey’s Aselsan was chosen as the Fire Control System and Command, Control and Communications Information system subcontractor. Also the state-owned MKEK was selected as the subcontractor for the 120mm primary weapon and Roketsan was tasked with the job of providing the armor.

Procurement officials say that the serial-production agreement for the Altay would be effective probably in 2017, together with the expected foreign orders.

Otokar also produces several other armored vehicles, the most known of which is Cobra, a 4X4 vehicle, used for reconnaissance and area control purposes by the Turkish security forces and the armies of several other countries. Earlier this month, Otokar revealed its first tracked armored tactical vehicle, the Tulpar.

Quote :

Syria war may bring Saudi deal for Altay

May/24/2013
Burak BEKDİL, ANKARA

Turkey’s defense industry may sell hundreds of new generation battle tanks to Saudi Arabia as the two countries show a political solidarity and a common understanding on the civil war in Syria

Turkish arms makers and defense officials are expecting to win more contracts from the Sunni bloc of countries, spearheaded by Saudi Arabia, as political solidarity with Turkey over the Syrian civil war deepens and could pave the way for “preferential treatment” in defense deals.

“The Sunni bloc now actively engaged in efforts to oust [Syrian President Bashar] al-Assad have been good clients for Turkey’s weapons industry. Now there are indications that their political alliance with Ankara may facilitate bigger contracts,” said one top defense industry official.

An executive from a Turkish armored vehicles manufacturer said that reinforced alliances with some of the Gulf countries over the Syrian crisis have already indicated that new contracts could be in the offing for the Turkish arms industry. “I can say that we are more warmly welcomed in certain [Gulf] capitals than before. Our counterparts have made it clear that almost excellent political relations their countries have with Turkey could soon turn into new business opportunities for Turkish defense companies,” he said.

In 2012, Saudi Arabia was Turkey’s third largest defense industry customer, with Turkish exports valued at $99 million, or 7.8 percent of Turkey’s entire defense and aerospace exports worth $1.262 billion. Turkish defense exports to the United Arab Emirates totaled $101 million, and to the Shia-majority but Sunni-ruled Bahrain $91 million in the same year. The three Gulf countries altogether accounted for nearly a quarter of Turkey’s all defense exports in 2012.

Officials said Turkish armored vehicles maker Otokar, a subsidiary of Koç Holding, could sell to Saudi Arabia hundreds of the Altay, the third generation tank it is currently developing.

A source at the defense procurement agency, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM), said a Saudi order for the Altay in the near future was “quite probable.”

“The Altay is not available for immediate sale, but is potentially a powerful export product when you think of a medium-term deal. Saudis are good customers with available cash, good political ties and their need for new tanks. We are hopeful about a future deal [for the Altay],” the official said.

Saudi Arabia has 320 elderly AMX-30 French tanks in need of replacement. Saudi Arabia and Turkey, along with Qatar, are spearheading efforts to oust Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad. Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar support rebel forces fighting al-Assad’s army in a civil war that has taken nearly 100,000 lives in two years. “Adding a defense industry dimension to their ties would augment the Turkish-Saudi alliance against Iran,” said a western military attaché here.

Turkey and Saudi Arabia reiterated their common understanding on the civil war in Syria, during a visit by Saudi Crown Prince Salman bin Abdulaziz to Ankara May 21. Following his talks with President Abdullah Gul, Salman met with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu May 22. “We fully agree on the urgent need to stop the bloodshed in Syria. We also agree that our efforts for peace there should be coordinated. It was a useful wrap up [meeting] ahead of the Geneva conference,” a Turkish diplomat said.

Koç Holding’s Otokar designed and is producing prototypes of the Altay in a deal to sell in four tranches of 250 units each to the Turkish military. The Turkish Army currently has in its inventory 720 German-made Leopard 1 and 2 tanks, 930 American M-60s and 1,370 M-48s, most of which are Cold War era tanks and need replacement.

Defense industry sources said that Otokar’s rival in any Saudi tank deal could be the French Leclerc. Earlier, France proposed replacing Saudi Arabia’s French-made AMX-30s with the AMX-56 Leclerc. However, sources say the 65-ton Altay would better meet the Saudi requirement than the 55-ton Leclerc. The Altay is similar in many ways to the 400 M1 tanks the Saudis have (in service or on order): both have a 120mm gun, composite armor, and high-end electronics.

Last November, Otokar unveiled the Altay with top government officials promising that the program would be completed “one or two years” ahead of time. In 2008, Otokar signed a $500 million contract with the country’s procurement office, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries. Under the deal, Otokar will finish building four prototypes of the Altay this year, two years ahead of the original schedule. The four prototypes will undergo performance tests throughout 2013.

The SSM selected South Korea’s Hyundai Rotem for the overall technical support. Turkey’s Aselsan was chosen as the Fire Control System and Command, Control and Communications Information system subcontractor. Also the state-owned MKEK was selected as the subcontractor for the 120mm primary weapon and Roketsan was tasked with the job of providing the armor.

Procurement officials say that the serial-production agreement for the Altay would be effective probably in 2017, together with the expected foreign orders.

Otokar also produces several other armored vehicles, the most known of which is Cobra, a 4X4 vehicle, used for reconnaissance and area control purposes by the Turkish security forces and the armies of several other countries. Earlier this month, Otokar revealed its first tracked armored tactical vehicle, the Tulpar.

Hürriyet Daily News

DEFENSE UPDATE - Syria war may bring Saudi deal for Altay

As of now, in more than a decade we have not had any Tank deals, only recently the M1A2S which is the Saudi specific upgrade for the Abrams have passed, and it is to get the number up to 450 M1A2S Tanks.

The Abrams are used in the Northern command and I think it will remain to be used there for the foreseeable future, however the western and southern commands been using the M60s and the eastern command have been using the AMX tanks. The M60s and AMX are both in urgent need if replacement, close to 800 New tanks are needed not mentioning the increase in Armed Dorces personnel, if Altay is truly chosen to be the replacement then I think it will be like 1000 Altay's for Turkey and 800 Altays for KSA.
when first full altay I mean not the prototype but full tank which fires will be rolled and how many tanks turkey would be able to produce in a single year I want turkish senior members to answer and Saudis too and @Aeronaut

sir when first compete Alta will be rolled out I mean full tank not prototype and how many tanks Turkey will be able to produce in one year sir

Yet, they ask Germany to give them what they want for free :D

WTF? Where's Turkey and Pakistan? Lets go :victory:
I know one thing from Turkey saudia can buy Altay good tank but also latest artillery and drones and also cruise missiles and produce them in Saudi Arabia and also still not able to understand if Germany is not giving tanks why not go for tanks from china and Russia @Mosamania @Arabian @LeGenD and others Turkish members should reply my post please @cabatli_53 @ArabianLegend @LegionnairE forgot to mention new warships built by turkey these things saudia can buy with TOT

I know one thing from Turkey saudia can buy Altay good tank but also latest artillery and drones and also cruise missiles and produce them in Saudi Arabia and also still not able to understand if Germany is not giving tanks why not go for tanks from china and Russia @Mosamania @Arabian @LeGenD and others Turkish members should reply my post please @cabatli_53 @ArabianLegend @LegionnairE
The reason should be,they allready have western tanks western military equipment all in all.
Even the Russian army isnt satisfied with the newest T- series tank,dont know about the chinese tanks.
The ALTAY is a western tank,i guess thats why.

About the start of the serial production of the altay mbt is to be expected in 2015.
Although some sources also state 2016.

Back
Top Bottom