What's new

Saudi Arabia planning procurement of JF-17 Thunder, Mashshaks, says Saudi air chief

Who wants to be with "sissies" whose army and air force get destroyed within a couple of hours on their bases and tarmacs??? As for the real "man" either they're executed or jailed....

As minimal as possible for you're not providing for Champagne and caviar, but Chapati (Turkish counterpart is Lavash) and Chana (Fasuliye)...

These "advanced" aircrafts can't protect the Haremain (Mekke + Medine) from the Iranian sponsored proxies - rather they're a detriment to it. Weapons made with "Bismillah" are able to do the job. The KSA folks shouldn't be that stupid not to understand this reality. Hopefully, they take some actions like Rahmetli King Faisal before it's too late...
KSA has retired 125 F-5s.. so the JF-17 block 3 is logical..it surpasses the F-5s in every aspect..

I am not the type of saying, Oh I said it before, but it was among my predictions through analysis that the J-17 was to replace the F-5s.. and this in many threads.So I am glad to see it happening..
Add that Sudan is a good prospect..This Saudi deal will open the market in all the Arab coalition and ultimately all the Muslim coalition against terrorism..JF-17 block 3 and its derivatives will fly high..

Turkish experience shows that fighting terrorism without home made equipment is like employing Satan (Iblis) as the baby sitter for your kids...

Turkish experience shows that fighting terrorism without home made equipment is like employing Satan (Iblis) as the baby sitter for your kids...
KSA can get JF-17 with TOT. It can help them develop fighter jet industry

Maybe its the scare of Trump winning tomorrow and cancellation of huge military deals Democrats did with Saudia and Qatar.
There is no such scare..there has never been any deal cancellation with KSA or Qatar..

Nigeria is already confirmed as a buyer. Delivery is suppose to start sometime next year.

Defense sales and negotiations can take years to do, and keep in mind that Pakistan is still a new player, and the thunder is facing against machines that are far more technologically advanced; the thunder was meant as a low end domestic solution, exports were only a secondary consideration.

The Saudis won't buy the thunder, it doesn't make sense for their modernization plans.
It is a replacement for the retired F-5..125 of them..

That is probably why they are looking for a JV with Pakistan and China..

Block1:25Million$
Block2:30+Million$
Cost/Hr is less than 13K

Bismillah ir Rahman ar Raheem

Thanks for the figures.

From the FY2016 US Defense Department Re-imbursable Rates Report:

B-1B $41,072 per hour
B-2A $50,985 per hour
F-15C $24,140 per hour
F-22A $34,971 per hour
F-35A $29,685 per hour
F-16C $8,701 per hour

Gripen C has been quoted as $4,700-5,500 per hour (direct operating costs only, sans ammunition).

My feeling is that JF-17 costs in a Middle-Eastern/Western environment should be closer to the Gripen's, maintenance costs being higher and closer to F-16 levels while expendables and ammunition being cheaper than both Gripen and F-16. Further, in Pakistan use, cheaper labor should reduce maintenance costs by a quarter.

Of course, life-cycle costs include research, development, training, upgrades, basing, depreciation. As such, the F-16 amortized costs (not including R&D and procurement, I guess) have been quoted around the $20,000 per hour mark and Gripen about three-quarters of that.

As such, the $13,000 per hour lifetime operating costs quoted above seem realistic (not including depreciated fly-away costs).

Allah keep everyone safe.

Thanks for the figures.

From the FY2016 US Defense Department Re-imbursable Rates Report:

B-1B $41,072 per hour
B-2A $50,985 per hour
F-15C $24,140 per hour
F-22A $34,971 per hour
F-35A $29,685 per hour
F-16C $8,701 per hour

Gripen C has been quoted as $4,700-5,500 per hour (direct operating costs only, sans ammunition).

My feeling is that JF-17 costs in a Middle-Eastern/Western environment should be closer to the Gripen's, maintenance costs being higher and closer to F-16 levels while expendables and ammunition being cheaper than both Gripen and F-16. Further, in Pakistan use, cheaper labor should reduce maintenance costs by a quarter.

Of course, life-cycle costs include research, development, training, upgrades, basing, depreciation. As such, the F-16 amortized costs (not including R&D and procurement, I guess) have been quoted around the $20,000 per hour mark and Gripen about three-quarters of that.

As such, the $13,000 per hour lifetime operating costs quoted above seem realistic (not including depreciated fly-away costs).

Allah keep everyone safe.
What is the Per hour cost for the F15E ?

I agree. I think they were waiting for BLOCK III. I think Pakistan should also focus on marketing this jet to Morocco as well as Egypt and also Tunisia. Tunisia has hardly any active fighter jets at this moment and they don't have that big economy to afford very expensive jets. So for them JF-17 BLOCK III would be ideal plane to induct.
I think so, but it will be with Western engines, since the Saudis will most probably make a variant with Western avionics and Engine..Avionics is not sure because of weapon's integration..
They will all induct it in time..For now Morocco needs more F-16s or Rafale, Tunisia might be the first North African country to induct it, Egypt is still busy with the new Rafale, MIGs-35 and SU-XX, but they have already showed interest as well as Morocco..

KSA can get JF-17 with TOT. It can help them develop fighter jet industry
True, and that is what they want, they have already started with AN-132 with Ukraine for civilian and military transport..

There is no such scare..there has never been any deal cancellation with KSA or Qatar..

Never said the deals were cancelled.But if Trump comes in and proposes some conditions with those deals then there is an element of uncertainty.

Never said the deals were cancelled.But if Trump comes in and proposes some conditions with those deals then there is an element of uncertainty.
The poles say he is not coming to the presidency! and beyond that one should not underestimate the US industrial lobby..mainly when the deals involve major American industries.. so even if Trump theoretically comes to power..he is a business man first..

What is the Per hour cost for the F15E ?

F-15D $24,285 per hour
F-15E $22,337 per hour

These are rates for operations by non-Federal, non-USAF entities that are reimbursed to the US. US Federal use rates are very slightly lower. The F-15E being newer platforms with less hours on them require slightly less maintenance; that is why they are cheaper.

The F-22A is very expensive (read actual direct operating costs were about $85,000 for 2013, I believe), due to low procurement levels and frequent RAM replacement (situation somewhat better since they have started utilizing technologies developed for the F-35.

The B-1B has severe maintenance issues and low availability rates (@55% compared to 70-75% for the F-15/F-16 generation). The B-2A is surprisingly not as expensive as I thought.

Other possibly interesting aircraft:

A-10C $6,273 per hour
AC-130J $4,580 per hour
AC-130U $15,413 per hour
B-52H $36,796 per hour
C-130H $10,019 per hour
C-130J $7,100 per hour
C-17A $16,453 per hour

Allah keep everyone safe

F-15D $24,285 per hour
F-15E $22,337 per hour

These are rates for operations by non-Federal, non-USAF entities that are reimbursed to the US. US Federal use rates are very slightly lower. The F-15E being newer platforms with less hours on them require slightly less maintenance; that is why they are cheaper.

The F-22A is very expensive (read actual direct operating costs were about $85,000 for 2013, I believe), due to low procurement levels and frequent RAM replacement (situation somewhat better since they have started utilizing technologies developed for the F-35.

The B-1B has severe maintenance issues and low availability rates (@55% compared to 70-75% for the F-15/F-16 generation). The B-2A is surprisingly not as expensive as I thought.

Other possibly interesting aircraft:

A-10C $6,273 per hour
AC-130J $4,580 per hour
AC-130U $15,413 per hour
B-52H $36,796 per hour
C-130H $10,019 per hour
C-130J $7,100 per hour
C-17A $16,453 per hour

Allah keep everyone safe

Would it be safe to assume, that the per hour cost, excludes fuel cost?

Nah... can't see it happening when they have access to very advance aircraft platforms.

How come this is the very first visit by a Saudi Air Chief to Pakistan? I thought Saudis lived in Pakistan.
The west and Saudi r/s are deteriorating everyday. Plus with Saudi and China recently ink a defense cooperation deal. It will paveway for JF-17 as Saudi decide to go East policy in case of embargo on spares for its typhoon2000 and F-15S.

Back
Top Bottom