What's new

Sassanid China?

Aegis DDG

Reaction score
Came across an interesting piece of information the other day regarding Pirooz II, a Sassanian prince who fled to China after the Muslim conquest of Persia.

Apparently there was a migration of Persians into China both before and after the arrival of the Arab armies, which settled there and in some cases Persians rose to prominent positions in the Chinese government. Can anyone shed light on Persian settlement and influence in China, or any information on Persian-Chinese relations?

@Aegis DDG I have a bit information about this topic, but I thought that it may be better for persians to participate in such a thread, and try to read and gain knowledge and post about it by themselves.
In summary, what you have said is true. There are even a few villages left in China who have some Iranian mixtures, and Chinese TV has made a good documentary about it as well.

China had good relations with Sassanid Persia, and consequently relations deteriorated with the new Abbasid Caliphate, which China fought a war with. China sent troops to accompany Sassanid pretenders to Persia to try and restore them to the throne.

@Aegis DDG I have a bit information about this topic, but I thought that it may be better for persians to participate in such a thread, and try to read and gain knowledge and post about it by themselves.

Uh, did you stop considering yourself Persian after moving to the US?

Uh, did you stop considering yourself Persian after moving to the US?
Dude, being Iranian is different from being persian ;) Iran has multiple different ethnicities/nationalities. I am an Azerbaijani Turk, and an Iranian, but I am not a Persian ;)

I read about it, certain Zoroastrians migrated to China but their community couldn't survive in China.

Dude, being Iranian is different from being persian ;) Iran has multiple different ethnicities/nationalities. I am an Azerbaijani Turk, and an Iranian, but I am not a Persian ;)

Oh, sorry for the mix-up. I forgot they weren't synonymous, but I definitely wasn't unaware of the difference.

What OP is referring to, has nothing to do with the Tajiks of Tash-kurghan. That region is like a valley in the eastern border of Tajikistan (inside the Chinese part), and in the East of Pamir region which has a few Tajik population. The ones that OP is referring to, are different.

I still don't know if Chinese tajiks are persian speaking or not :confused:
Do you have any information about that ?

I still don't know if Chinese tajiks are persian speaking or not :confused:
Do you have any information about that ?
Yes, they are. Watch the video below:
Actually they speak the Tajiki variant of Persian language, which is a bit different from Farsi language in Iran and Dari of Afghanistan, but all of these 3 variants are mutually intelligible. ;) They are no different from Tajiks of Tajikistan.

Actually they speak the Tajiki variant of Persian language, which is a bit different from Farsi language in Iran and Dari of Afghanistan, but all of these 3 variants are mutually intelligible. ;) They are no different from Tajiks of Tajikistan.

That's a Pakistani song :D

Thanks ;)
I asked because some sources say they speak pamiri languages, it's a little bit confusing :cheesy:

Thanks ;)
I asked because some sources says they speak pamiri languages, it's a little bit confusing :cheesy:
Very good question. Actually some people of Tajikistan speak Pamiri language and they live in the Eastern Part of Tajikistan. Pamiri languages are different from Persian language ;) But, Tajiks of Tash-kurghan speak in Tajiki language and not Pamiri languages ;)

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom