What's new

SAM system based on Nasr missile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking if it would be possible to develop Nasr into a SAM.

Will it need a new motor because it has to be more manueverable?
I think Pakistan should test HISAR A and HISAR O developed by Turkey

Building SAM is very difficult and most expensive defense project not only fast mensurable rockets have to develop but support system like high power radars & seeker also requires. It is far better to purchase these defense items from reliable sources. Pakistan already have spada 2000 system or may by another system from china or Russia.

i dont think a nasr missile would be suitable enough as it would need to many modifications such as a seeker thrust vectoring, external controls i.e. more fins.space for control computer. so i think the nasr missile is not suitable enough.
but the idea of using a missile as a sam is a good idea. and for Pakistan that would be an sd10. you can simply make a few modifications such as reprogramming its computer to be a sam instead of an brvam. also for more range you can simply add a booster. like what the us did to the sm-3. this would make the sam more to the category of an high altitude/longrange sam
sm-3 missile with booster
SM-3_Missile_1.jpg6bbaa0df-aad9-4d9e-a541-e371b8f7f0b4Larger.jpg

sm-1 without booster
AMRAAM-ER.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing we could use in making Nasr a SAM would be the casing and even that would require a number of upgrades. A tactical missile launched from a MBRL platform and a SAM are two completely different ball games all together. Everything from the inertial guidance system to the navigational aid, chaser, motor, casing, fins, stabilization system would need to be added a new.
theoretically it can be done cant it?

when india can make PAD from Prithvi missile why cant pakistan do the same with NASR as jo kaam parosi mulk technology ke hone ke bavjood nahi ker sakka wo peshawar ke quazi biradraan ne apne ghar pe hi ker dikhaya :tup:

theoretically it can be done cant it?
What most people here failed to understand was that it was more of a question than an idea. My question was that whether or not we can retain the motor and a few other things because that would cut the project costs by 25-30%.

Well, the problem has to do with our aziz hamwatano and general issue with education system. As in the need to ask without researching the topic just a wee bit So I wont have a coronary at this since it is the same situation as someone who came to class on the first day and asks a rather "coronary" question.
I can relate since in the 6th grade I was too interested in Dinos and in anticipation of history class in that year drew a wonderful T-rex on my Journal. Only to be ridiculed by the teacher who asked if it was Babur or Humayun(damn that woman to the gates of hell) and me feeling rather embarrassed about it and upset that my rather realisitic T-rex was going unnoticed.

The question is not illegitimate and the member is not wrong(or stupid) in asking it so lets not deride that. After all, it is long, pointy and has a rocket motor attached to it which makes it go fast. So as such(like many systems) it does have good potential to become something more than it already is.

To answer it , I am also going to follow the lead of Mastercard Adverts and post prices to things as they happen based on Pakistan specific costs vis-a-vis materials and Labor(along with time). These costs are not mutually exclusive except for time perhaps.

Lets get to the guidance bit later.

While the nasr is manoeuvrable as compared to the other missiles in our arsenal , it is not in any shape to chase after or move around quick enough when hunting aircraft(or ballistic missiles for that matter). As the NASR is currently built for Range and less quick acceleration and speed. As its motor isnt the best in the world and has a generally low specific impulse( simplest to understand as mileage.. as in "Kitnay deti hai"); any tradeoff for greater thrust and acceleration will lead to an adverse effect on range.
As the range on the NASR is already 60-65km at best, that means that with the current motor the maximum it can chase a head on target is around 50km and barely 15km in a tail on chase. Which means that the NASR will need a bigger motor. That could be achieved by adding boosters or changing the primary propulsion system to a better motor or even hybrid rocket/ramjet. That will change the weight, the way the missile behaves and flies which will mean testing of the motor on the ground and in flight.

R&D costs for Changing propulsion: $25 - 35 million, 24 -46 months

Now that we have a better propulsion system that as a benchmark scenario has the same range overall as the NASR at average and can go to 70KM at max. We need to make NASR capable of rapid and accurate changes in direction. Currently, it can make rapid changes somewhat but not exactly accurate. Now I know that Pakistan already has thrust vectoring figured out that compares to Russian tech in the late 1970s that is mated with rather modern processing. So we'll assume those costs are ignored. But a missile like the NASR still needs to have that system adapted for it; this means redesigning the system.

R&D for adapted T/V and additional control system: $15-30 million. 24-48 Months

Guidance and Associated Radar system:
This is the heart of the system. A radar to detect and track targets, and another(or the same) to guide them. The Radar will have to be modern.
To be continued...
What kind of range do you expect to get out of this $25-30 million motor in both, head on and tail chase scenarios?

when india can make PAD from Prithvi missile why cant pakistan do the same with NASR as jo kaam parosi mulk technology ke hone ke bavjood nahi ker sakka wo peshawar ke quazi biradraan ne apne ghar pe hi ker dikhaya :tup:
-28 still counting....

I was thinking if it would be possible to develop Nasr into a SAM.

Will it need a new motor because it has to be more manueverable?
It's impossible to convert it into a SAM. SAM's need to be aerodynamically maneuverable to chase jet fighters and they need to be very fast. The only thing in NASR system that can be put to use is it's tube launch vehicle which has nothing to do with NASR missile except launch it. The missile itself is pretty much useless.

What most people here failed to understand was that it was more of a question than an idea. My question was that whether or not we can retain the motor and a few other things because that would cut the project costs by 25-30%.

To answer your question: No it would not bring down the project cost

New Seeker, new warhead, new guidance system (both computer and fins), new higher thrust engine. Fail to see a single similarity between NASR, and a prospective SAM.

As a last resort such idea can be tested, for instance, Iran converted her Hawk SAMs to Sedjil AAMs, though it was relatively easier conversion than changing Nasr to a SAM. Point is, why would we do that when alternatives are available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom