What's new

SAM system based on Nasr missile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking if it would be possible to develop Nasr into a SAM.

Will it need a new motor because it has to be more manueverable?
A good idea:) Lets see what other members especially the senior ones say?
@Horus

Last edited:
It is a good idea. Funds shouldn't be a probable. We have the expertise. So what's stopping us?

The only thing we could use in making Nasr a SAM would be the casing and even that would require a number of upgrades. A tactical missile launched from a MBRL platform and a SAM are two completely different ball games all together. Everything from the inertial guidance system to the navigational aid, chaser, motor, casing, fins, stabilization system would need to be added a new.

Yeah, we can hire Russian experts' help to modify our NASR launchers, how about joint-cooperation with Russia? :drag:

Elaborate please.
Also i believe certain BVRAAMs can also be used as SAMs at the cost of reduction in range though.
tracking, guidance and target acquisition system.. it is very sophisticated and expensive technology. we have capability to develop 3rd generation SAMs but not 4th or 5th generation..

The only thing we could use in making Nasr a SAM would be the casing and even that would require a number of upgrades. A tactical missile launched from a MBRL platform and a SAM are two completely different ball games all together. Everything from the inertial guidance system to the navigational aid, chaser, motor, casing, fins, stabilization system would need to be added a new.

I agree complete instrumentation and motor overhaul.

Aren't there SAM's in Pakistan's inventory of the same range?

I thought raison d' etre for Nasr was as a tactical nuke - this would serve no purpose for a SAM. May be i was wrong. Can you further elaborate on this.

Yeah, we can hire Russian experts' help to modify our NASR launchers, how about joint-cooperation with Russia? :drag:
Yes this is a good idea. The Russians are trying to become closer to us. It's time we take an initiative.

it needs hell of things to convert it into SAM.. same as building a new one...

Indeed. I am aware but what i want to know is why a new motor would be required when we want to retain the thrust. Does it has something to do with the jet vanes?

I agree complete instrumentation and motor overhaul.

Aren't there SAM's in Pakistan's inventory of the same range?

I thought raison d' etre for Nasr was as a tactical nuke - this would serve no purpose for a SAM. May be i was wrong. Can you further elaborate on this.

Yes it is, and that is the reason why the NASR system has very little cross over potential into other projects. Its just an innocent question by one of the members.

Indeed. I am aware but what i want to know is why a new motor would be required when we want to retain the thrust. Does it has something to do with the jet vanes?

Well for starters, the motor will have to be able to work past only a parabolic trajectory and instead be able to give chase to an aircraft at Mach 3-5 for anywhere from 30 to 50 seconds while constantly maneuvering to keep the aircraft on its 12. Its a massive ask of a platform that was meant to follow a predetermined trajectory to a stationary or slow moving (sub-100kmph) target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom