What's new

Salman Butt `pretty sure` of exoneration

kugga

Reaction score
LAHORE: Suspended Pakistan captain Salman Butt is “pretty sure” he’ll be cleared of spot-fixing charges when he appears at an International Cricket Council hearing in Dubai this weekend.
He also hopes to play for Pakistan again, and perhaps even skipper the side.

The ICC code of conduct commission will hear appeals by Butt and Mohammad Aamir against only their suspensions, and will not deal with the anti-corruption charges.

The ICC suspended Butt, Aamir and Mohammad Asif on Sept 2 for “alleged irregular behaviour” after British tabloid The News of the World accused them of accepting money from businessman Mazhar Majeed to bowl predetermined no-balls against England during the fourth test at Lord’s.

“I am pretty sure to be cleared,” Butt told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

“It has been annoying for me because these kind of allegations have not only brought defamation, but as well it is career-threatening.

“Such things do come in your life but you have to stand up and face them.”

“There are a couple of issues which might have encouraged Asif to withdraw, but Asif could answer this question himself,” Butt said.

Butt defended his relationship with Majeed, saying Majeed was looking after his promotional work and there was no clause in the Pakistan Cricket Board’s code of conduct that players should inform it about their agents.

“He (Majeed) is not somebody who is an agent for me because he has been there even before I was there (playing international cricket),” Butt said.

“It is not part of PCB code (of conduct) that you have to tell them about the agents who work for the players’
marketing and the promotion stuff.”

Butt said Majeed used to do promotional marketing for him during tours.

“These are the people who deal with the marketing side of players and the promotional stuff and they also make money out of it,” he said.

“This is what is being done in the sporting arena around the world and this is not something that came up with Salman Butt.”

Butt said he had not seen the full video by The News of the World which showed Majeed counting bundles of money while
negotiating a deal on no-balls.

“I do not want to comment on The News of the World because everybody knows what kind of paper it is,” he said. “Everybody knows about its reputation across the world.”

Butt said he didn’t believe the tabloid’s video was reliable, because he thinks Majeed “must have made lots of claims … clearly exaggerating things to show his authority.”

“I think he might have said a lot of things in that video because it was edited. So nobody knows what has gone wrong in that video,” Butt said.

The ICC last week asked the PCB to distance itself from the tainted players and should not assist them in fighting their suspensions.

“It is something which surprises me,” Butt said. “I am focusing on my hearing and after that I will find out why this has happened.”

In the wake of the scandal, the PCB created a new code of conduct and made all players touring UAE sign it before leaving. The PCB also asked all players to furnish details of their agents and recommended players ask for the board’s clearance before
hiring them.

Butt welcomed the move as “good for players and cricket organisations.”

“I hope very soon this suspension will be over and I will be eligible to play for my country, which is my passion and foremost thing in life,” Butt said.

“I hope captaincy will come again some day. I cannot grab it. God gave me one chance and I hope I will get the other chance as well. I want to be remembered as a player who won games for Pakistan.”—AP

Source

hope speacially Amir get clears we need amir to make good bowling attack for WC 2011

Back
Top Bottom