What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

J-20's dimension is smaller than J-15.

A J-15, in my opinion, is already too large as a carrier-borne fighter, especially on Chinese vessels.

And I bet to design a navy version of J-20 is still quicker than design a navy version of J-31.

Says who? Downsizing a J-20 would require a redesign, as would enlarging the FC-31. SAC does, however, have more experience designing carrier-borne jets and its related subcomponents.

Also the combat radius of a navy fighter is even more important than a land-based fighter in this age of long-range anti-ship missiles, PLAN wont settle for less.

An F-35-sized fighter could provide a 1200-1300 km combat radius, which is roughly comparable to that of the current FC-31. Therefore, an enlarged FC-31 would have an even greater combat range.

Trumpeter unveils a model In 1/72 for the V1

Trumpeter FC-31V1.jpg

A J-15, in my opinion, is already too large as a carrier-borne fighter, especially on Chinese vessels.

It is not the number of jets that is important. Heavier jets can do more with less sorte. Larger jets are preferred to reduce sorte which is proportional to the risk/cost, especially when EMALS is in place. I don't consider J-31 having a future in PLAN

Some unidentified and unverifiable sources revealed an interesting story about the FC-31 project. It is well known that, although AVIC and its child companies CAC and SAC are state-owned companies, they normally operate in a typical capitalism way, with an exception that they receive major government funding on R&D projects. One of the Institute 611, CAC and J-20 winning factors in the 4th generation fighter competition is that they subcontracted sub-systems to winning bidders no matter whether they are AVIC companies or not. Such arrangement is believed to be initially encouraged and later lawfully enforced by the PLA. No doubt it obviously upset AVIC management as well as their "first son" Institute 601 (Institute 601 even names itself the first son of the People's Republic). So the then AVIC boss Lin Zuoming diverted government R&D funds on major jet engine projects into AVIC's real estate business, and then skimmed the real estate business profit together with other subordinate companies' profit to fund Institute 601 and SAC to build FC-31. This seemed to be crossing the border created by their government bosses. As a result, Lin was forced retired, engine business was segregated into a new business group called China Aviation Motors Group and the real estate business was taken over by the POLY Group.

:mad:
If this is true, he needs to be flayed. Alive.

I guess, as Lin was authorized to grow business with any required measures, and probably he also paid a proportion of the profit from real estate business back to the engine projects, he is not corrupt himself, by the existing rules they found no reason to punish him further. So they just simply cut him off from the management, and cut off the engine and real estate businesses from AVIC.

Last edited:
I guess, as Lin was authorized to grow business with any required measures, and probably he also paid a proportion of the profit from real estate business back to the engine projects, he is not corrupt himself, by the existing rules they found no reason to punish him further. So they just simply cut him off from the management, and cut off the engine and real estate businesses from AVIC.

Lin was chopped because his internal trading case, which is considered as corruption.

v2.0 #2 reportedly out :yahoo:

Hmmm ??? At the SDF there is a discussion that noted that the guy, who potsed this rumour first simply said, he was driving to work and by SAC, where he saw 2 pairs of V-tails. He cannot remember correctly - neither shape nor colour - but he thinks he saw both in yellow primer.

As such it is highly likely that he simply saw two J-16s.

So all in all a more than unreliable statement !? :(

Deino

Hmmm ??? At the SDF there is a discussion that noted that the guy, who potsed this rumour first simply said, he was driving to work and by SAC, where he saw 2 pairs of V-tails. He cannot remember correctly - neither shape nor colour - but he thinks he saw both in yellow primer.

As such it is highly likely that he simply saw two J-16s.

So all in all a more than unreliable statement !? :(

Deino

J-16s don't have V-tails...?

Back
Top Bottom