What's new

SAAB-2000 Erieye delivery flight to PAF at ATHENS - 27/05/2020

I think many here are missing the point, irrespective if PAF end up with 8, 9 or even 10 Erieyes, its the CAPABILITY it gives us. If, for example, 2 Erieyes are needed to be airborne at anyone time to cover all of Pakistan, then 8 will do that easily. Having 9 or 10 just gives you spare airframes to save hours on each airframe in the fleet or for attrition. No point at all in flying extra aircraft in the same sector. The additional aircraft will just be sitting there.

If we assume we need 2 in the air at all times (1 in South, 1 in North) then 8 (4 per sector) is enough. Argueing constantly about having 8 or 9 or 10 is pointless. Additionally we now know that should we lose one, we have airframes we can convert and Kamra can do this easily, all we need is to buy the radar from Sweden.

Personally, I think 9 is a good number as 1 spare for attrition over next 10 years is handy.

Saab 2000 configured as Swordfish MPA.. guess who will get it first

There is not much difference between the swordfish and the PN ARR-72 MPA; so if Pakistan is getting this swordfish, then its a bad investment and shows shoddy procurement policy.

There is not much difference between the swordfish and the PN ARR-72 MPA; so if Pakistan is getting this swordfish, then its a bad investment and shows shoddy procurement policy.
There are two Swordfish variants.

The turboprop (Saab 2000 or DHC Q400) and the twin-engine jet (Bombardier Global 6000).

The PN was probably interested in the jet version (which it tendered later on) as it offered the a similar sensor/subsystem suite to the ATR-72 MPA, but 4-6 external hardpoints for torpedoes and AShM. That latter load capability isn't available with the ATR-72 MPA.

Interestingly, Saab removed the Swordfish from their product portfolio...curious.

There are two Swordfish variants.

The turboprop (Saab 2000 or DHC Q400) and the twin-engine jet (Bombardier Global 6000).

If anything, the PN was probably interested in the jet version (which it tendered later on) as it offered the a similar sensor/subsystem suite to the ATR-72 MPA, but 4-6 external hardpoints for torpedoes and AShM. That latter load capability isn't available with the ATR-72 MPA.

Wasn’t that what the LRMP project was supposed to address? Do you foresee a situation where PN goes for a swordfish?

Wasn’t that what the LRMP project was supposed to address? Do you foresee a situation where PN goes for a swordfish?
Simply, I think the PN is trying to copy the Swordfish for its own LRMPA. So, replicate more or less what Saab did on the Global 6000, but separately. But still, it's not a trivial task, especially the weapons integration and testing part.

Simply, I think the PN is trying to copy the Swordfish for its own LRMPA. So, replicate more or less what Saab did on the Global 6000, but separately. But still, it's not a trivial task, especially the weapons integration and testing part.

If Pakistan can pull this project off, it will be in a very good position to create a Hava Soj type electronic warfare platforms. Risky but rewarding in the long term.

One person sank the entire forum .... took away hard work of so many .
I wasn't a member of that forum...just asking out of curiosity...how could one person have so much power to sink the entire forum...
...why wasn't that member just ignored by serious posters and banned by mods?
...asking out of curiosity
@Falcon26

I wasn't a member of that forum...just asking out of curiosity...how could one person have so much power to sink the entire forum...
...why wasn't that member just ignored by serious posters and banned by mods?
...asking out of curiosity
@Falcon26

He run the website.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa)

@Flight of falcon

Yes it was sad brothers and we now remain the only dedicated forum and message board related to Pakistani defence affairs, but that's also our strength. Just look at the years we have clocked, the forum is 20 years old, that's no small thing. I've done 14 years actively, and three as a lurker, that's 17 years.
The site has grown to massive proportions and we are now read widely by the political establishment, the military, common folk in Pakistan and expats the world over. We have been far more successful than any previous site could ever become and we continue to grow mashallah.
It's you guys who are our greatest asset, and every patriotic poster on this forum. Together we can do so much more, and hopefully continue to go from strength to strength.

Back to topic guys, so how many systems does Pakistan now actually possess. I counted 7?

TBH PakDef did a fantastic job controlling Indian trolls and propaganda by simply blocking any and all. Something that should have long been emulated on this forum to stop intentional misinformation.

I remember you from the old pakistanidefence forum too. Glad to see that you are on this forum as well. A forum is only as good as its members. HKhan forgot that basic fact. He treated Bilal Khan in a very nasty way and many members spoke up against his behavior. Members chipped in money whenever required to maintain the forum but the forum was then promptly closed once the donations were made.

I think between pakdef. Info and defence.pk there are 2 extremes. We had too much control over the former and not enough over the later. Here kids run amok amongst little gems while over there even gems were shackled down. I think Hkhan was the worst tyrant we have seen on that forum and had it not been for his highhandedness we may still have had the forum. The balance needs to be somewhere in between but can we have balance on an internet forum? Especially one where ads do not support the income of the forum. So it may have been financial reasons as well which resulted in the forum closing down. However I agree with a lot of posters that it was a wealth of information. Interestingly people like Xmen, Muradk and his son(mittho did post on pak def.info and was kicked out later) did not post on that forum at all and preferred this one.
Anyways onwards and upwards.
7+3 or 6+3 this is the question. I favour the former but cannot be certain. All that can be said with certainty is we have enough for a rainy day.
A
Pakdef had many professionals who broke important news consistently and correctly. People like Mansoor Ahmed and others who provided very important perspectives. Sad to see how everything went down the drain. But you are right, moderators need to be more aggressive here to control the filth from across the border.

MashaAllah atleast some good news in this dreadful year

Doesn't the rafale have A-G missiles with a range of 300km? The rafale would be a threat for up to 300km then.
So does we have RAAD with a better range RAAD=350 km, RAAD-2=450 km RAAD-3=550 km, so what your points

the most important and most expensive item survived

of course the Swedes were pissed off with us for failing to protect such an expensive asset but we turned around things and amazed them trough our repair and restoration.

the person who oversaw its repair and took videos and photos of all the phases of this repair and flew the AWAC plans to write a book on his retirement

i have requested an interview and offered help with the book but have to wait for response.
Can you let us know when the book is published.
I can pre-order if that's an option.

H Khan?

Well we are buying more SAABs then actual Erieyes. 8 Erieye SAABs plus I think 3 that will be used for pilots training/routine transport. Could by more and convert to EW role I guess
He run the website.

TBH PakDef did a fantastic job controlling Indian trolls and propaganda by simply blocking any and all. Something that should have long been emulated on this forum to stop intentional misinformation.

I remember you from the old pakistanidefence forum too. Glad to see that you are on this forum as well. A forum is only as good as its members. HKhan forgot that basic fact. He treated Bilal Khan in a very nasty way and many members spoke up against his behavior. Members chipped in money whenever required to maintain the forum but the forum was then promptly closed once the donations were made.

Pakdef had many professionals who broke important news consistently and correctly. People like Mansoor Ahmed and others who provided very important perspectives. Sad to see how everything went down the drain. But you are right, moderators need to be more aggressive here to control the filth from across the border.

It wasn’t Syed the person who started it all but one of the moderators... really really sad situation. Past is past but on this forum only about 10 percent posters post anything worthy of reading and Indians ruin everything here. On Pakdef we had very few Indians and a lot more reliable non fan boy info.

Out of any number of aerial assets, not all are available for operations at all times.
For 24/7 surveillance you need at least 4 platforms in one zone, 8 in two zones, while the remaining are being maintained. Ideally, there should be some additional standby units as well.

Makes sense, all 8 Erieyes will not be based in North so Southern ones can cover sea. It does beg the question that with 8 Ereyes it seems ZDKs are redundant or PAF unhappy with them.

Back
Top Bottom