What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
This railroad is out of commision now, and this is all when they have a 10km pileup of a convoy stuck in woods, with still arriving reinforcements.

This is surreal.

@jhungary I think its nuts
Yes it is
China knows so well how to deal US trade and economic wars, we are so experienced in dealing with them.
That did not answer my question tho.

But all in all good luck, don't let the inflation bite.

Nigeria condemns treatment of Africans trying to flee Ukraine​

Government says citizens are being denied entry into Poland amid growing reports of discrimination
Victoria and her daughter, Elvira, arrive in Przemyśl, Poland, after fleeing Ukraine by bus.

Emmanuel Akinwotu and Weronika Strzyżyńska
Mon 28 Feb 2022 17.46 GMT

The Nigerian government has condemned the treatment of thousands of its students and citizens fleeing the war in Ukraine, amid growing concerns that African students are facing discrimination by security officials and being denied entry into Poland.
A deluge of reports and footage posted on social media in the past week has shown acts of discrimination and violence against African, Asian and Caribbean citizens – many of them studying in Ukraine – while fleeing Ukrainian cities and at some of the country’s border posts

They are among hundreds of thousands of people trying to escape the country as civilian casualties and destruction mount.

More than half a million people have fled Ukraine since the Russian invasion began last week, according to the UN’s refugee agency, UNHCR.

The Nigerian president, Muhammadu Buhari, said on Monday: “All who flee a conflict situation have the same right to safe passage under UN convention and the colour of their passport or their skin should make no difference,” citing reports that Ukrainian police had obstructed Nigerians.

“From video evidence, first-hand reports, and from those in contact with ... Nigerian consular officials, there have been unfortunate reports of Ukrainian police and security personnel refusing to allow Nigerians to board buses and trains heading towards Ukraine-Poland border,” he said.

“One group of Nigerian students having been repeatedly refused entry into Poland have concluded they have no choice but to travel again across Ukraine and attempt to exit the country via the border with Hungary.”

Nigeria’s special adviser to the president on diaspora affairs, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said: “Africans are being denied entry through the Ukrainian borders. The minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, has taken this up with the Ukrainian ambassador. Our people who want to leave must be allowed to.”

Amid chaotic and emotional scenes at Ukraine’s borders with Poland, as well as Romania and Belarus, where a number of African governments have advised citizens to head to, the treatment of African and Asian people has caused outrage.

Many African students have condemned the difficulties they have faced trying to escape the conflict, reporting hostility from security forces, ordinary Ukrainians and border staff.

Samuel George, a 22-year-old Nigerian software engineering student, drove from Kyiv, along with four of his friends, fellow students from Nigeria and South Africa, to the Polish border. Queues of cars full of people trying to leave spanned 31 miles (50km) to the border. Yet when some men who were in the queue noticed they were Africans, he said, they stopped their vehicle.

“They immediately saw that the Ukrainians could pass but when they realised we weren’t Ukrainians they stopped it. They told us we couldn’t move forward and wouldn’t let us join the queue,” George said.

When they tried to defy them, he said the men attacked and vandalised their windscreen. “They demanded $500 – we begged and negotiated to pay $100. We had to leave the car and trek. We were walking for almost five hours to the border with Poland. One of us was sick. The temperature was freezing, it was so tough

The way African students and nationals have been treated is abhorrent and requires attention:

You do know that foreign exchange is mostly used for foreign trade, not domestic trade, don't you? How much of that 1.4 trillion economy engages in foreign trade?
No, foreign currency is used to balance Federal or Central Bank. That is used to "Guarantee" the value of your own currency.

Read this

This video has allegedly been filmed by Russian forces in Talakivka 15Km from Mariupol.

47.18519172409511, 37.72457192254352
View attachment 819614
The army of a country like Russia that can actually follow up on open intelligence very well; If they can't even prevent their soldiers from posting stories on Instagram and making videos on Tiktok in the most critical military operation in their history, there's something really wrong here.

I think you don't understand what I wrote, I never said US back Russian Central Bank, I said US Dollars. Because Central bank have different kind of currency to balance the debt of its own currency. Problem is, rouble is now deflated almost 30% toward the USD. Which mean to prop up the currency, the foreign reserve have to exchange to Rouble, but how? Russia has been taken out of SWIFT, US are no longer trading with Russia (Due to sanction) the only one that can do it is China, so yes, dump it on China.

Okay, now you dumped 300 billion on China, to balance your own currency, now what? The only way Russian Central Bank can issue new debt to clean out the currency demand is issue Rouble Bond, which, again worth nothing, you cannot get USD, GBP, Euro, JPY (Which is the top 4 world reserve by the way, account for 90% of world currency) which mean you no longer able to balance your own reserve, the only option left is Russia buy a lot of Yuan, but how? Rouble worth nothing to CNY, 1 Rouble is 0.05 Yuan as of now. So You either dump a lot of rouble to exchange with Yuan, which inflate your own currency, or you have China loan you the money.

But how much do you think China can loan you the money? You are talking about Russia, a 1.4 trillion economy, without 90% of world currency, your sole trader is Yuan, are you supposed to have China print 1.4 trillions dollar worth of Yuan to support you? Because, honestly that is what I am foreseeing Russia need to do to stay afloat.
The US dollar is printed by the Federal Reserve. So, when you mention the US dollar, you are referring to the US as well.

That's exactly why I said that a country's currency depends on its ability to pay back with goods (and services). Russia can clear its debt by providing goods and services. It doesn't need to switch to any other currency because it is a major power which is self-sufficient in nearly everything. Russia produces 12 million barrels of oil per day. It controls nearly 40% of the world's gas reserves. It is a major nuclear power that is ranked 4th in the world in electricity production and is believed to be the 1st in the number of nuclear warheads. That's what I meant when I said Russia is an energy super power. It is one of the world's major producers of agricultural products, usually in top 5. It is believed to be the world's 2nd most powerful army. It is the second country in the world in freshwater resources. Do I need to continue?

Many countries would accept to be paid back in these goods and services instead of the US dollar. Iran for one would be more than happy to continue trading with Russia. I'm sure many other countries will do the same. If Russia actually occupies Ukraine, the breadbasket of Europe, many Middle Eastern and North African countries will be forced to trade with Russia, including the US allies in the Middle East.

Last edited:
"The US is joined by some European nations and Canada to remove certain Russian banks from SWIFT, the payment system used for most international financial transactions.

The move is “unprecedentedly severe,” but is unlikely to deal a fatal blow against Russia, not only because of the latter’s long preparation but also its hard-to-replace economic value to the West, particularly Europe, China’s state-run Global Times reported."

Next time, check your facts. When Putin was asked before this war what he'll do when US and its ally sanction him, he's stated, "US sanctions is something we learned to live with".
That is SWIFT, not the Russian Central Bank deal tho......

SWIFT is not really a problem seeing there are not much trade from Russia any way and they did not block Gazprombank from SWIFT, which mean at least for now, the Gas/Oil Trade in Russia is safe.

For now.

And I did check my fact, you are quoting the wrong fact...

No, foreign currency is used to balance Federal or Central Bank. That is used to "Guarantee" the value of your own currency.

Read this

You don't really need foreign currency to serve as the reserve in order to back its own currency. China does that because it wants to maintain advantageous rate with US dollar. Russia, on the other hand, has more gold reserve than China has, though its economy is only a fraction of the Chinese.

Again, I am not saying that you are wrong.

I am saying this is the current Economic Sanction going to lead. I mean unless I am mistaken something, this is what the West is trying to do, maybe they want to trigger a nuclear attack? I don't know, but what I do know is the current sanction is to taking Russian Currency away, I mean, there are no other effect other than making Russian Bank failed to raise money.

Again, or am I missing something here?
Sanctions on Russia are extremely harsh, but not harsh enough to push its currency to extinction.

The worst time after WWII for Russians was most probably 90s, when there was no bread or milk available in markets and Ruble traded like 1:10000 or something.

This time around:
1) Germany and some other key EU countries are dependent upto 55% of their gas on Russia. As of today the gas supply to those countries has not stopped, in fact as we speak, it is still being pumped. And I am very sure, it is not a freebie.

2) After the initial shock has been absorbed, arrangements made with China will ensure that Russian economy does not reach the point of extinction.

3) Being the 2nd largest power in the world, does give you some sort of leverage to challenge the sanctions. Who is gonna stop Russian shipments to potential buyers in international waters as is the case with Iran, NK etc, for example?

I am no economist by any means, it is just a subjective opinion that Russian economy can absorb these sanctions. They are simply not harsh enough.

Interesting report ... :oops:

Russia's state news agency RIA published an article early on Saturday celebrating Russia's quick victory over Ukraine. Putin is praised there for having restored the "unity of Russia" by defeating Ukraine. The article was obviously prepared in case of the expected quick victory - and then published by mistake. The article was then removed from the web again, but can still be accessed in web archives.

"Russia is restoring its unity," writes Akopov, referring to the Soviet Union, whose borders Putin has repeatedly described as "historic Russia." The "tragedy of 1991", the collapse of the Soviet Union, was "overcome. Yes, at a high price, yes, about the tragic events of a de facto civil war, because brothers are still shooting at each other,” writes Akopov, apparently as a safeguard in the event that individual Ukrainians should still resist. "But Ukraine as an anti-Russian country will no longer exist," it says, using a quote from Putin that is often used among Moscow's elite.

1646077504361.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom