What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
EU warns China not to support Russia.

China says will decide herself how to work for peace.

China says, hopes EU will have an "independent" opinion about China [policy].

Chinas says USA and NATO are responsible for Ukraine war.

"A simplistic approach to chose friend or foe is not clever and is a mentality of cold war and confrontation of blocks should be avoided".

(rough translation from German Tagesschau)

Last edited:
Agreed.

It also shows that helicopters can be used to infiltrate heavily defended spaces with good planning and NAP-of-the-earth technique. This is something that scores of members here struggle to digest.
Nap of the earth flying (NOE) is both science and art. Then add in a good dose of human courage.

6pYsTD9.jpg

What did the Ukrainian pilots know of the terrain from home to target?

What were the fuel and time calculations?

In flying nap of the earth (NOE), the advantage fixed wings have over helos is speed, but at the increased risk of detection because depending on terrain the jet will have to momentarily be outside of the radar 'shadow' zones created by the terrain. Because of the need for speed, which also translate to time, jets like my F-111 have to fly terrain following (TF) or OVER the topos, whereas with helos, their advantage is they are able to fly terrain avoidance (TA) meaning they can fly AROUND the topos, remaining inside the radar 'shadow' zones, but at the cost of increased time, fuel, and distance.

Terrain Following (TF) are designed to be real time responsive, meaning the jet is under real time control of the TF radar sub-system.

Terrain Avoidance (TA) should not be confused with Ground Collision Avoidance which is an emergency pitch up to avoid -- what else -- the ground. There is an oft confusion that if you fly over the topo, is that not qualify as an 'avoidance' ? Technically, it is. But in combat perspective, it is incorrect. In TA flight, you set a maximum flight altitude that you cannot breach, basically for fear of being outside that radar 'shadow' zone.

If the topo's physical feature, such as a hill top, is greater than your set max altitude, you must fly AROUND that topo, hence the word 'avoidance'. Because of this flying around the hill, mission time, distance, and fuel cost increases. The hilltop may reach 2,000 ft but the hill itself could be 5,000 ft all round the base. It is easier to fly over the hill than around it, but at the risk of being detected. Further, the aircrew cannot simply fly at 1,900 ft and around the hill because that altitude could still be inside the radar scan on the other side, even at the radar beam's edge of usable echoes, the aircrew cannot risk detection, so the best solution could be 1,000 - 1,200 ft altitude so when they are on the other side of the hill, they are still below the radar's scan.

So overall, NOE/TA flights takes advanced human skills and daring especially if knowledge of the course's topographic map is less than complete.

Looks like we are sending some Bushmaster 4x4 Carrier to Ukraine.....

View attachment 829417

Exact number and type is unknown, ADF have more than 1000 Bushmaster 4x4 in surplus, Bushmaster is very versatile vehicle, they can mount just about anything on top, from 25mm autocannon to AT Missile. It carry 10 troops in addition to the crew serve weapon. It's mine resistant and armoured up to 12.7 calibre.
NATO countries have their mutual defense treaty to back up each other, hence Russia is bearing their weapons delivery stoically.
What if Russia sends a conventional ICBM into Australia as a retaliation for the above? I suspect nobody is going to retaliate on behalf of Australia..

NATO countries have their mutual defense treaty to back up each other, hence Russia is bearing their weapons delivery stoically.
What if Russia sends a conventional ICBM into Australia as a retaliation for the above? I suspect nobody is going to retaliate on behalf of Australia..
You do know there are around 10,000 US troop in permanent rotation in Australia (5000 in Northern Territories, 3000 in Perth and 2000 in Alice Spring)

What do you think the US would do if Russia nuke and kill those 10,000 US troop?

Also, please do go ahead and look up what is ANZUS....

Russian lapdogs are hilarious,they will tell you it's part of the objective and anyway Kyiv and Chernihiv axis were only to divert Ukrainian forces from Donbass.... So kind of Russia to have sent its most elite divisions to the slaughterhouse just to divert some forces from Donbass.... and magically Russia's main goal to decapitate Kyiv nazi regime is suddenly forgotten. :lol:

You do know there are around 10,000 US troop in permanent rotation in Australia (5000 in Northern Territories, 3000 in Perth and 2000 in Alice Spring)

What do you think the US would do if Russia nuke and kill those 10,000 US troop?
I said conventional ICBM.
I am sure Russia will avoid the US troops.
It will be to make a political point, deter the others and also advertise it's prowess.
Australia is out of it's league here, and becoming more loyal than the emperor himself 😀

I said conventional ICBM.
I am sure Russia will avoid the US troops.
It will be to make a political point, deter the others and also advertise it's prowess.
Australia is out of it's league here, and becoming more loyal than the emperor himself 😀
Then you should go do look up what is ANZUS and AUKUS treaty.

Security between US and UK and Australia are guaranteed. This is not an agreement, or memorandum like the one Ukraine had back in 1994, that is a full blown treaty.

I would like to see Russia try.

The Indian side has repeatedly called for respecting the UN Charter and the sovereignty and territorial integrity of all states. In his phone conversations with Russian and Ukrainian presidents in recent weeks, PM Modi has called for an end to the hostilities and a return to the path of dialogue and diplomacy.
:coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom