What's new

Russia-Ukraine War - News and Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the issue here is this "guarantee". You think that, before Russia and China can trade RMB:RUB russia needs some sort of hard currency in its bank in order to guarantee that the RUB will maintain its value.

You think gold cant do this? you think Russia having RMB will not do this?

And thirdly, are you sure they need any sort of guarantee? RUB is a fiat currency also.

Fourthly, I am certain that the trade can be performed one way or another even if the obstacles you talk about really do exist. I know this because international trade used to happen way before the gold standard was totally abandoned in the 1970's. I also know that Europe and America were to disappear down a hole, International trade would continue. I think this is pretty obvious.

1.) Yes, you need other hard currency in Russia (other than Rouble) to guarantee the value of Rouble as I explained before. And if you can no longer use USD, GBP, Euro, JPY, AUD (They are all sanctioned) which mean you either can only guarantee a small amount of your currency if your RMB level remain unchanged (Which mean inflation) or You buy RMB like crazy to substitute the lost amount of USD, GBP, JPY, AUD. Which mean you weaken CNY by doing so, now, would China willing to either inflate their own currency or weaken their international status to game with Russia? I don't know, seeing that I don't believe in Putin will start this war and he started it anyway, there are no tale to tell.

2.) Again, back to gold. As I said, there are 2 issue.
a.) You either have a super inflated exchange rate or super slow economic growth to offset the demand of gold backing currency.
b.) anyone with similar amount of gold can come in and influx your economy, Again, I can buy 1 ton of gold for 61 millions dollars, but if Russia uses gold as backing currency, my personal wealth will expanded 10 fold because I can use it in Russia for 608 millions dollars, and it is ABSOLUTELY possible to own 1 ton of gold.

3.) Yes, that's what Fiat currency is about. This is not about how much you say it worth, this is about how much you can exchange it to other currency so it worth that value.

4.) I can tell you that if US and EU were to disappear down a hole, then currency is probably the last thing you need to worry about. And Trade will still go on if US and EU is not involved. It would be under a different system. And it cannot work internationally, also, that would not solve your problem.

Why are you so obsessed with Mearsheimer? You're stuck talking about him because someone mentioned him like 10-20 pages earlier.

And yes,I'm not a communist. On the contrary. I'm everything communists despise actually. Greek Orthodox and romantic pro-monarchist 😋

People don't have to be communists to oppose Western invasions.

A big problem with people like @gambit is that they cherry pick what Mearsheimer is saying. Mearsheimer is, of course, not going to condone this war started by Russia! Doing so would make him--a well known professor from a major American university-- discredited. But Mearsheimer is establishing a perspective about the Russian invasion viz a viz the perceived threats to Russia and Mearsheimer is showing the mirror to Americans about the American hypocrisy about the Cuban Missile Crisis,about claiming an entire hemisphere for itself, and about the illegal war against Iraq in 2003. Mearsheimer is factual while @gambit, in the words of @Avicenna above is truly doing 'obfuscation'.
To me the American illegal invasion of Iraq in 2003 opened the gates for other countries to do the same! And let us not forget the consequences of that invasion and subsequent American-led and/or American funded wars in the MENA region, leading to horrendous consequences for tens of millions of people. How about considering the scale of the destruction and destabalization in that region??
But some are free to continue their 'obfuscation'! I think their problem is beyond even hypocrisy--their problem is a sense of entitlement, of 'exceptionalism'.

They would come from china, in exchange for oil.
So, where did the Chinese extra CNY come from? It does not come out of a bank out of thin air

You either print it or you pull it from overseas. Either way, doing so will damage your currency value.

This feels ominous .....

They don't need missile planes to launch nukes if Putin is in Moscow, and he can first strike.

Actually it's a show of weakness, saying that the man with authority fled somewhere, or he is unsure of stationary comms reliability.

The golden rule of Fiat Currency is. YOU CANNOT USE ROUBLE TO GUARANTEE THE VALUE OF ROUBLE IN RUSSIA.

You need to have enough foreign currency in your own country to trade so they can guarantee the value of your own.
Yes russia would use the RMB. It would get it from china in exchange for oil. sounds pretty simple.

If this rule actually exists. The ruble is guaranteed by Russias industrial capacity and the ability to purchase these industrial and agricultural goods with the RUB.

Thin about it. There are only 2 countries to a transaction. Or two people. Those two people or countries make the rules.

Well basically we are saying the same thing. Russia did miscalculate the situation alot. Obviously in both strategic in tactical levels.

On a strategic level they misunderstood the stand that the Kiev leaders and the resistance people would put up against the invasion. On a tactical level, yes I understand it is cost effective to build up forces near the border as they did but even so they kept waiting and waiting after full mobilisation. All the while Ukraine was getting armed. And the American and EU war machine and intelligence was gearing up to support the Ukrainians with military intelligence when the time came.

The west was setting up their infrastructure already to assist Ukraine in a coordinated manner. So that's why I thought instead of just sitting them down like ducks they cudve attacked after the mobilisation was complete.

Also no one cud ever imagine, that Russia wud suffer so much losses. They tried many times to land VVD behind enemy lines without any support and they got wiped out completely on several occasions. Now these are their elite fighters.

However I know, if this was not a former Soviet Slavic country.... Russia wudve just levelled cities like Mariupol, Kiev, Kharkov like Grozny. Their MRLS are very deadly. But they chose rather to get bogged down and encircle the cities and not use as much shelling in order to protect civilians. Which I think is the humane thing to do. And kudos to them for that.
Some good points in your post.

Russians also needed time to prepare for the war and launched a military operation when they felt they were ready. Military buildup process is a complex development in itself. Economic considerations also come into play in this matter.

Russian forces are not taking Ukraine lightly in any capacity. For perspective, Russian forces have used over a 1000 cruise missiles and ballistic missiles to strike at high value targets inside Ukraine by now. This is a much higher count in comparison to use of these standoff munitions in other countries such as in Chechnya, Georgia and Syria respectively. Some of the technologies were not available for use in Chechnya in fact. This is but a tip of the iceberg because much of the action is taking place on the ground. Several Ukranian cities have suffered extensive destruction due to periodic episodes of heavy fighting and attempts to soften Ukranian positions in urban environments with artillery pieces and MLRS from a distance. But Russian forces are also taking losses in exchanges of fire with Ukranians. Russians have lost a large number of military vehicles and thousands of troops in clashes across Ukraine by now. Russians have lost multiple aircraft and helicopter gunships as well. They thought that Ukraine will be a walk in the park for them like in Georgia and Syria where they could bomb locations at will and losses were minimum. Russians have no choice but to be more calculative while attempting to take Ukranian cities, therefore.

Situation in Kharkiv:

Situation in Mariupol:

Russian sources can see the obvious as well:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom